First Annual MTBNJ.com Picnic at Lewis Morris - Oct. 20 2007

Eileen

I will definitely try to make this. I'll figure out food when it gets a little closer.

Great job to everyone organizing this :D

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
ChristineG and I will be there. I'll wait and see what needs to be brought as we get closer.

On a side note: Will the owner of Halters Cycles be able to attend this event, scheduled as it is on a Saturday?:hmmm:

hooples3

wow that sounds like a great BBQ!!!!! Im not sure of my work schedule but if I'm free i'm gonna come. its always great to meet new bike friends!!!!

D

DANSPANK

Could/would it be an idea to have a little bit of a maintenance class at this event. I've been reading Norms thread about suspension set-up and think that a lot of people out there could give some great set-up advice to the less technically knowledgable of us..... pretty please.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ChristineG and I will be there. I'll wait and see what needs to be brought as we get closer.

On a side note: Will the owner of Halters Cycles be able to attend this event, scheduled as it is on a Saturday?:hmmm:

Could/would it be an idea to have a little bit of a maintenance class at this event. I've been reading Norms thread about suspension set-up and think that a lot of people out there could give some great set-up advice to the less technically knowledgable of us..... pretty please.

Let's add these 2 posts together and come up with...:hmmm:

D

DANSPANK

But I didn't want to put anyone of with thinking that a bunch of people may just freeload a bit of bike maintenance...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fair enough. I'm sure there will be a decent number of people there who are adept at this sort of thing. I do a lot of my own maintenance and since you have the same basic bike as me that can only help. If ytc100 shows he's obviously saavy enough to build his own wheels. And I know one of the attendees worked at a shop for 6 years before.

I think it's a neat idea but it might be good to narrow down the scope a bit as we get closer. And of course you probably don't want to make it too complex for any number of reasons, one of which being the beer that will be flowing. So while I could probably show you how to swap out all your bearings in about 30 minutes in my basement I'm not sure it's a great idea in a field in Morristown.

But I like the idea. We'll do this right after the potato sack race, or the tug-of-war.

I think an annual picnic is a great idea ! :)

Regarding food - are there any other "complete vegetarians" (as in vegan) out there besides myself ? If so, I'd love to hear from you ! (I use the term complete vegetarian because I don't necessarily agree with the commonly used distinction between being Vegan and being Vegetarian.)

And before all the diehard cornivores amongst you start :puke: I CAN bring food that won't taste like you're chewing on the last of the Autumn leaves, however pretty they may be! ;) (Although I have been known to throw a yellow/orange leaf or two into the pot - they seem to have the most flavor at that time of year. :D Don't get a pinch flat, I'm just kidding ! About the leaves that is.)

And if we decide to go with a mechanical/maintenence workshop, I can help out with that. I do all the maintenence on all of my bikes, except for the really specialized stuff that requires the more expensive tools ( i.e. facing, reaming, tapping threads, certain headset installations, which obviously we won't be doing). I've built up several bikes from scratch, built a set of wheels, and overhauled a couple of my suspension forks.

Personally, I think the day of the picnic would be better if we could do all the riding we could get in before the winter snows arrive. (Re: I'm more of a warm weather rider unfortunately) And then possibly schedule several small group maintenence sessions at different locations, on different topics over the long, dark winter months, if there's interest in that.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i was a strict vegan for a few years, and raw vegan for a while too. my diet now includes fish and honey on a fairly regular basis though, and on a rare occasion foods like pizza or a taylor ham, egg and cheese. so no, i'm not vegan, but the overwhelming majority of my diet(just diet) is. the only reason i've ever done anything with my diet was for health reaons. i do enjoy veggie burgers. amy's texas veggie burgers being my favorites.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dr. Praeger's Veggie Burgers are awesome!

I like meat but I've dabbled in vegetarianism over the years. I have no qualms taking a bite of Fred after I pin a tail on him, though I'd prefer he were cooked.

In edit: I think the gatherings would be a great idea. Even better, gather in my house, bring beer, and we'll use my basement for lessons.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

PigRoast1.gif

NJ Jess

I'm bringing Greens,...

seasoned grilled squash, steamed broccoli, and maybe glazed carrots. Never enough vegetables at these picnics. Also, I'm bringing Boards. Yup, I really had a great time at the Blue Mt Fat Tire Festival with there "skinnies" track. I also think a wheelies, slow race, track stand, and limbo contest are in order. This is going to be great!!!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I like the idea of having some bike skills contests...What about an observed trials course/demo/skill demonstration type of thing?

I like the idea of having some bike skills contests...What about an observed trials course/demo/skill demonstration type of thing?

I have some concerns about setting up an unsanctioned trials course at a public picnic grove in Lewis Morris, especially since we have a permit for alcohol consumption on site, which can increase the risk factor of someone hurting themselves immensely on a stunt...I do not mean to be a downer here, but this picnic is being planned as a social event for riders and their families to get together, have a relaxed-pace ride, and share some good food and drink afterwards.

Morris County Parks is proving to have a lower level of tolerance for even log crossings and rocks on biking trails (see this thread). We are guests of the park on this day, and I feel it is incumbent upon us to exercise the utmost respect for park rules and regulations.

I will look into the possibility of setting up a trials course at a future date and time, in a place where we can get the requisite permits to build and host such an event.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have some concerns about setting up an unsanctioned trials course at a public picnic grove in Lewis Morris, especially since we have a permit for alcohol consumption on site, which can increase the risk factor of someone hurting themselves immensely on a stunt...I do not mean to be a downer here, but this picnic is being planned as a social event for riders and their families to get together, have a relaxed-pace ride, and share some good food and drink afterwards.

Morris County Parks is proving to have a lower level of tolerance for even log crossings and rocks on biking trails (see this thread). We are guests of the park on this day, and I feel it is incumbent upon us to exercise the utmost respect for park rules and regulations.

I will look into the possibility of setting up a trials course at a future date and time, in a place where we can get the requisite permits to build and host such an event.

Wow, well put. I had these sorts of thoughts and started to reply before but said screw it, I don't have the efficiency of word right now to do it. Thanks for picking up the slack and the solid reply. I think we're looking to have a few cones set up to have the children weave in & out of more than cars to bunny hop on/off of.

But a skills/trials ride at some point would be pretty neat.

But a skills/trials ride at some point would be pretty neat.

I think CycleWorks used to sponsor a trials rider for Volvo-Cannondale years ago, a guy named Lance (not the Lance). They may have some resources for me, I'll check it out and be in touch.

Do not worry, Julie the Cruise Director will assure that the crew and guests of SS MTBNJ.com have plenty to satisfy their diverse biking interests.

Top Bottom