Fireplace help

THATmanMANNY

Previous owner says it fires up. I can’t get it to work and I following these directions. Any insight? Thanks

E6369416-0B60-40F2-AAC8-B644AFE01834.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
did you start the pilot?
i can't tell if that little red dot in the vid is a flame.

if yes
move dial to 'on'

the toggle may be 3 position - put it to on -
if it is off/on, is there a remote thermostat that needs to be turned up?

if no
if the gas was turned off, and the pilot light was left to burn out,
it takes a long time for the air to purge between the gas valve and the
regulator - always open the gas valve slowly, or it could damage the regulator.

put knob on pilot, push in, press ignitor button hold pilot knob in for 30 seconds after ignition.
could take a bunch of tries.

that other control knob sets the flame height after everything is going.

Last edited:

iman29

Was gonna say fire since @MadisonDan didnt but since you’re supposed to light it on fire it doesn’t count.

Seriously tho be careful of the whole gas line thing and be sure the line isn’t seeping via the pilot if it’s not working properly.

THATmanMANNY

I knew you guys would save my day

Yes that little flame is the pilot
Gas is on (smell it when Pilot is lit
I followed that label instructions which is hold in pilot for one minute and then leave it on position two minutes.

I don’t think there is a thermo stat. Just the hi lo.

there is a wall switch for the blower/fan.. hmm
(That’s not the switch on the side that I showed in the video)

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I knew you guys would save my day

Yes that little flame is the pilot
Gas is on (smell it when Pilot is lit
I followed that label instructions which is hold in pilot for one minute and then leave it on position two minutes.

I don’t think there is a thermo stat. Just the hi lo.

there is a wall switch for the blower/fan.. hmm

yeah - that switch is the equivalent of "is it plugged in".....

btw, you need one of these bad boys. Installed one in the cabin - can remote start.

THATmanMANNY

I just found this tucked underneath the unit. I don’t understand why step 9 says to turn off gas to main burner and knob back to pilot???
83B88D04-3427-41F0-B193-AE7FB5A2AE2D.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
I just found this tucked underneath the unit. I don’t understand why step 9 says to turn off gas to main burner and knob back to pilot???
View attachment 147027

it leaves the pilot on, but won't let the burner come on - just in case you leave and don't want to come back to reignite it.

pilot light cost less than $1/mo - although the internet seems to not agree. when the only gas appliance i had was my
boiler, it was not substantial.

THATmanMANNY

I see. My parents place has a gas fireplace and I can light that no problem. But maybe this one is busted. I googled Haugh’s ventless fireplace and said something like they do need to be inspected if they have issues. Maybe this is busted? Put a call in someone local.

although someone did write to light theirs they hit it on the side @mntal ill try again

rick81721

Lothar
I see. My parents place has a gas fireplace and I can light that no problem. But maybe this one is busted. I googled Haugh’s ventless fireplace and said something like they do need to be inspected if they have issues. Maybe this is busted? Put a call in someone local.

although someone did write to light theirs they hit it on the side @mntal ill try again
20150154be6be29c017.jpg

ekuhn

The copper colored tube is the thermocouple. Take that out and clean it. Gas supply is the silver tube.

THATmanMANNY

The copper colored tube is the thermocouple. Take that out and clean it. Gas supply is the silver tube.
Meant to post that day but I gave up tinkering. The fireplace repair quoted $150 for the visit/service. Not too bad to keep warm but looked into your comment. Looks like the copper tube goes up and I need to take it apart some to get to the other end inside the log area.

what do I do with it? Is it hollow? Blow it out? Clean it by sanding the one end in the logs/heating area? I’ve be done something similar to my furnace that I had to remove a needle looking thing and I cleaned/sanded a little and my heat fired up easily. That was a couple years ago.
063242B9-F8B4-43D8-84A7-B25A0AAD7853.jpeg

ekuhn

Should just be able to unscrew and scratch with sandpaper, same up top in the logs. If you find the part # it may just be easier to replace. Hard to see from the photos what is what.

But for $150 it may be an expense well paid to have someone service the unit, and can allow you to ask all the questions.

Patrick

Staff member
just replace the thermocouple, but if the pilot is staying on, that isn't it.

it is a probe sitting in front of the pilot light.

Top Bottom