Finished 1st ride at Allamuchy today - what a blast!

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
My friend Tim and I rode the 'Mooch today. We started in the lot at the rail trail, rode up the white to the yellow/white to the green. Took the green to the T-junction, made a left and rode it out to the road. We then turned back, headed straight at the T onto some unmarked trails that wandered around and up one of the climbs and took us to another unmarked trail that linked the white and red. Rode the red loop clockwise until we came back to the connecting trail with white and then shot over to white and picked up yellow. Rode yellow counterclockwise (the part we hadn't hit yet) and then back down to the rail trail and to the car. Of course, there were a few hike-a-bike sessions (especially toward the end when we were both getting worn out). What a cool ride! About 13 miles in all.

How do these trails compare to the others that the north section has to offer? I've heard a little about cardiac (looks tough from the topo lines) and rolly poly (not on the map?). Is what we did representative of the park, or did we hit all wussy stuff?

Big props to Bob and the others that maintain these trails - awesome place to ride - I can't wait to go back.

B

blurwitchboy

Why no response?

Why no respone to Tommyjay? I have ridden there many times and have wondered the same thing. I have wondered if my santa cruz machine just makes the trails easy.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Well...

Part of teh reason, for me at least, is I may feel one way about how they compaire and someone else could feel the exact oppisite. So, heres my thoughts...the Waterloo side trails have more rock than Tranquility overall; and yeah it is somewhat hilly frm the Tranqulity side, but there are hills at Waterloo.

Other than that just get over there and ride! Oh yeah and come out for TM (Tranquility, tomorrow at 8:30)!!!

Bob W.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Yo Bob W

You got a e-version of the awesome map from JORBAfest that everyone's raving about? :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
The mountain near tranquility lot (cardiac) is a tough climb. Makes the red and white in seem easy. The best trails are not marked and there are some better trails in there. I love that the mooch fireroads are fun on their own. Little boring terrain in there. Don't recommend taking the white trail from Tranquility lot, but taking it back to the lot is real fun.

Takedown

I did the white trail today and it is murder on a beginner. Karen who is a pro made it look easy so I guess how hard the white trail is relative to the riders experience and fitness :)

Attached is the white trail, my gps is not the greatest so it may not be 100% accurate.

Attachments

• NEw trail.jpg
    NEw trail.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 409

goldsbar

Both sides are some of the best riding in NJ. I don't understand why I'm always alone in the woods here but Lewis Morris can be like a highway. Waterloo is generally more rocky as stated previously and feels a little slower because of that. Beware of this side when it's wet - the climbs can be really tough. I'm convince there's oil in Allumuchy based on how slippery these rocks can be. Otherwise, this is one of those places where having 6" of F/S really shine. I seem to recall crashing more and going a lot slower on these trails in my hardtail days.

The 517 side has a faster flow but still plenty of technical challenges. The cardiac climb from 517 really isn't that bad - just long. You can take the orange to purple up to the top. The reverse is one of the best downhills in the state IMO. Some of the trails that branch off to the left into what I assume is known as cardiac bypass have some nice natural features (exposed rock, steep drops, etc.). Then there's the ice cream trail climb and descent - yum.

Best bet is to do a 3 hour ride and cover both of them.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
What downhill are you talking about, the other side of the purple hill from cardaic or taking the trail back to 517 trailhead? The speed you get on the white heading back to 517 can be pretty scary. I get going so fast that i occasionally go a little ahead of my abilities and my heart gets pounding.

The Kalmyk

What downhill are you talking about, the other side of the purple hill from cardaic or taking the trail back to 517 trailhead? The speed you get on the white heading back to 517 can be pretty scary. I get going so fast that i occasionally go a little ahead of my abilities and my heart gets pounding.

I'm talking what your talking....White heading to 517....Fucking awesome:D...What great pay back for all the climbing

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
not sure if gps is correct but it had said 28.6mhp top speed on that downhill it is by far heart pounding!!!

goldsbar

I'm a bigger fan of cardiac (purple) to left at orange. The white is great but I like the variety of the purple to orange trail with all those single track diversions.

From the top...the loose semi banked turn to the log drop...let it rip until it flattens by the right turn(still purple)...let it rip and hope your eyes don't tear up too much and botch the singletrack diversion with the rock "bridge"...more twisty singletrack to the left and right of the former main trail...bash through the stream gulley...a little climbing...high speed to the left turn onto orange...some flatish...pedal a lot...super high speed twisties...

Really wish I was there now.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions