Finally!!!

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After weeks and weeks, I finally have a SS that won't crap out on me. I swapped all the "good" components I had, swapped the singleator to push-up, put on a strong ass KMC 1/8" SS chain with a 1/2 link and swapped my crossmax's over. Not one hiccup, chain drop, snap, crackle or pop today.

Anyone considering a Singleator, use the push up method for sure!!

heythorp

Yeah it was good to have you back out on the trails. That bike is pretty light too. It was nice to ride without mechanical issues again.

see you sunday at KVSP

Shaggz

A strong 7
jay:

welcome back to the fold. it's good to see you back on the bike and the boards again. the lunatics have been running the assylum for too long.

steve

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jason said:
After weeks and weeks, I finally have a SS that won't crap out on me. I swapped all the "good" components I had, swapped the singleator to push-up, put on a strong ass KMC 1/8" SS chain with a 1/2 link and swapped my crossmax's over. Not one hiccup, chain drop, snap, crackle or pop today.

do you think its the use of the half-link -or- the singleator that is keeping your chain tight? or a bit of both? if you removed the singleator would you start dropping the chain?

but hey.. if its working, don't touch it! I'm just kind of curious :)

funny you should mention a KMC chain. my single speed is an old converted 1998 trek HT, and i have the *original* KMC chain on there. now watch, it'll break ;)

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
do you think its the use of the half-link -or- the singleator that is keeping your chain tight? or a bit of both? if you removed the singleator would you start dropping the chain?

but hey.. if its working, don't touch it! I'm just kind of curious :)

funny you should mention a KMC chain. my single speed is an old converted 1998 trek HT, and i have the *original* KMC chain on there. now watch, it'll break ;)

It really is a combination of the 1/2 link and the singleator for sure. You can't use the singleator in a push up position without the 1/2 link. The chain is just too long. But the extra width on the chain seems to keep the lateral movement to a minimum and that will help keep the chain in place as well.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jason said:
It really is a combination of the 1/2 link and the singleator for sure. You can't use the singleator in a push up position without the 1/2 link. The chain is just too long. But the extra width on the chain seems to keep the lateral movement to a minimum and that will help keep the chain in place as well.

i saw this, but still have no faith in the singleator...for ME. up, down, whatever, there's FAR too much wiggle. i do, however, have a new found respect for my fuel. that bike can take a BEATING.

ArmyOfNone

bonefishjake said:
i saw this, but still have no faith in the singleator...for ME. up, down, whatever, there's FAR too much wiggle. i do, however, have a new found respect for my fuel. that bike can take a BEATING.

I never have run a singulator before, however from what i have heard/read led me to stay FAR away from them. Im runnin the white industries eno eccentric hub. Its a beautiful thing i must say

ArmyOfNone

Jason said:

sweet lookin SS i must say

Top Bottom