Fewer daylight hours...

BiknBen

Be careful on the roads this time of year. Many riders try to squeak in the same route they have been doing all summer. Eventually, daylight disappears and they get caught out in the dark.

I highly recommend you put a blinkie on the back of your bike. I have one on mine year round. Whenever I think visibility is questionable, I turn it on. Low light, rain, fog whatever.

Also be aware of sun glare. If you are traveling east in the morning or west in the evening be aware that motorists may have difficulty seeing you. If you are squinting in the sun, just imagine some dude with a dirty windshield trying to see the road. Not Cool.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
little red light

Be careful on the roads this time of year. Many riders try to squeak in the same route they have been doing all summer. Eventually, daylight disappears and they get caught out in the dark.

I think that light red light is a must have ... where I live and ride here in NJ it just gives the drivers something to aim for!

RC ... :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Buy several blinkeys. Every year I have at least 1 blinkey disintegrate. Last year it was 3.

BiknBen

Get the planet bike super blinky I posted.

While I don't own that model, the Planet Bike stuff is very good. They used to offer free shipping to members of any outdoor club. Just provide your USCF license number.

I currently have a couple Blackburn Mars tail lights which I think are blinding.

All lights will eventually disintegrate. I think they are designed to do so. :rolleyes:

Also, Change the batteries before you think you need to. It's useless if it is dead on the road.

I've done a ton of Night road riding. I've gotten laughed at by motorists and pedestrians because of my creative light setups. At least I know I can be seen. :eek:

BiknBen

You sure it was the light setup? :p

I've been known to hang with this kinda crowd. Freakish doesn't begin to describe the scene. Trust me!

mini-07.jpg

walter

Fourth Party
What do you guys suggest for a head light? Would a bright light like whats used for the 24 hour events be needed or could someone just use a light that serves as "marker" of sorts. Providing you are riding on a well lit road, of course.

BiknBen

What do you guys suggest for a head light? Would a bright light like whats used for the 24 hour events be needed or could someone just use a light that serves as "marker" of sorts. Providing you are riding on a well lit road, of course.

If you do not need to light the road ahead. I suggest getting two blinking white LED lights. One on the helmet and one on the bars. The flashing is more likely to be noticed. Having one on your head puts it up higher and you can point it at motorists if you think you need to (at intersections and driveways).

In the past, I've ridden with this on my helmet (blinking) and then a NR HID on my bars to see the road.
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3028.html

In the last year, I have done the opposite. I have a 150L LED on my helmet to see the road. Then one of this on my bars.
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/341

IMO, the HID lights often used off-road are overkill for most road riding. Cars flash their high beams at me on my bike when I use it. :rolleyes: Last summer I bought the smaller Danolite XP. It is only 150 lumens but is still bright enough to see the road at speed. I can put it on my head which makes it more versatile.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I currently have a blackburn light with and LED 85 lumen light and it is enough for the road although could use a brighter light for twilight conditions (which are difficult for any lights). I did over 40 with this light last week, so I guess it is enough at speed.

I have been researching a few lights and if you don't want to drop too much cash, the NiteRider MiNewt Mini is around $100, has 110 lumens and the battery is super small.

If you want to drop a bit more, the new Light and Motion Stella has 200 lumens and you can get either a NiMH battery or a Li-ion, I think $170 / $270?

Halters has the L&M ones and did have one of the nite rider ones but I didn't notice it the last time I was in.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
Walter,

FWIW, I've used the Princeton Tec Switchback 1 several times on the road, and it was adequate to get me where I needed to be. Handlebar mount, light-weight, small and easy to mount.

Top Bottom