Feel Like I'm Goin' to Prison

dmc123

Tore my rotator cuff 2 weeks ago due to an overuse injury. Booked surgery for March 2nd which is coming up quick. Doc says it will be 6 weeks of absolutely no movement which means 24/7 in a sling, can't even lift a pencil. Then another 2-3 months of rehab, you know PT (pain and torture). My mind be feeling' like "what would I be doing if I were heading to prison for 3 months?" I'm running around my house trying to get things done I've neglected. If all that weren't bad enough, I have a physical job requiring strength and dexterity so no work = no income. And if thaaaat weren't enough, I can't ride for 3-4 months either.

A decade ago I tore my labrum at work. Being it was a workmans comp case things went slower as i had to do everything by the book. I got injured the first week of January and wasnt cleared back to regular duty until after Labor Day. Be warned, the recovery is going to hurt more than the injury. Follow your doctors guidelines, keep up with PT and get better asap.
Ps, watch your eating. I gained 60 pounds in 8 months lol. Being out of work, i was bored terribly, so i just started eating. Hang in there, it'll stink for a while, but hopefully you'll feel better in the end.

Tore my rotator cuff 2 weeks ago due to an overuse injury. Booked surgery for March 2nd which is coming up quick. Doc says it will be 6 weeks of absolutely no movement which means 24/7 in a sling, can't even lift a pencil. Then another 2-3 months of rehab, you know PT (pain and torture). My mind be feeling' like "what would I be doing if I were heading to prison for 3 months?" I'm running around my house trying to get things done I've neglected. If all that weren't bad enough, I have a physical job requiring strength and dexterity so no work = no income. And if thaaaat weren't enough, I can't ride for 3-4 months either.

Dave. I think you are a business owner. You should be able to collect NJ state disability. In that time you could not collect any paycheck, or work as a manager. Perhaps a trusted person could do this. Meaning you pull the strings but they are the messenger.

You'll be good to go after getting fixed up. Need to get ya through the down time.

I walked a lot during my recovery. Mostly just around town, but it was all I could do so I did it. I missed the bike but it really wasn't as bad as you'd think. Also, don't rush going back, I did and broke my shoulder a 2nd time and spent over a year in rehab. They had to redo everything they did the first time around and then some.

I ruptured my supraspinatus tendon in both shoulders from doing stupid things in the gym. Had the first surgery in 14 the other in 17. The first two weeks were real tough. I'd suggest getting a cold therapy system like a polar cube. I wouldn't have gotten any sleep without it. And don't be a dumbass like me and smoke thru recovery. Took me 10 months to fully recover from my first surgery. I quit before my second surgery and recovered in 5 months. In the end it was all worth it. My shoulders have never felt better.

Last edited:
I ruptured my supraspinatus tendon in both shoulders from doing stupid things in the gym. Had the first surgery in 14 the other in 17. The first two weeks was real tough. I'd suggest getting a cold therapy system like a polar cube. I wouldn't have gotten any sleep without it. And don't be a dumbass like me and smoke thru recovery. Took me 10 months to fully recover from my first surgery. I quit before my second surgery and recovered in 5 months. In the end it was all worth it. My shoulders have never felt better.

I had a SLAP tear repaired back in 2010 (?) - the ice water system was great - quickly got off the percodan because of it.
we were able to reuse the pump/reservoir for my wife's ACL replacement.

Reactions: djm
I blew apart my hip socket last August. I'm still going to PT, been out of work for 5 months. I got 6 months of state disability, about $750 per week.

At least you are able to plan your imprisonment, mine changed everything in a nano second. You will be just fine.

Do your rehab, eat super clean, take vitamins and avoid alcohol, and you’ll be good to go by mid-summer.

🍻 Here’s to a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the advice guys but this just keeps getting better. Unfortunately my other (good) arm is hurting real bad now too. Bicep, tricep and shoulder are very tight and weak. This has got me worried that I will have 2 bad arms! Trying to take it real easy, probably going to see the doc again early next week. I filed for workman's comp since these happened at work so it will help fill the hole, but it's gonna be tough. I own my own electrical contracting business and I am the only employee so also have company expenses that are going to drain me at the same time. Looking for a guy to fill my shoes but thats going to be tough. See my ad under job trade.

Thanks for the advice guys but this just keeps getting better. Unfortunately my other (good) arm is hurting real bad now too. Bicep, tricep and shoulder are very tight and weak. This has got me worried that I will have 2 bad arms! Trying to take it real easy, probably going to see the doc again early next week. I filed for workman's comp since these happened at work so it will help fill the hole, but it's gonna be tough. I own my own electrical contracting business and I am the only employee so also have company expenses that are going to drain me at the same time. Looking for a guy to fill my shoes but thats going to be tough. See my ad under job trade.

If you are favoring an arm, it is tough. I had my left arm shattered a few years ago, and was surprisingly [for myself] only in a hard brace for a few months (nb: great thing: it could be removed and arm cleaned/brace washed. Really helps with the funk/dead skin). The recovery as a pianist was tough, and 3 years later, I am still struggling--comparatively--with building that arm to a place that is even/equal with the other. When doing repetitive lifting/motion tasks, I notice that the right arm hurts ALOT more than the left, and I need to purposefully remind myself to use my left arm as well. Same thing with riding: I wind up leaning on it rather than holding myself up with muscles. I have to remind myself.

During the active recovery period (I dunno, month 1-6?) I found myself with a sore right arm more often than not. I definitely needed to curtail the kinds of things that I was doing physically--there were times where I would look at a situation and 100% just say to someone, "No, I can't do that." They might be put-off for a few minutes/days/whatever, but if I screwed up, I could wind up put-off forever. Try to file that in the back of your mind while you are recovering. I found most people understanding.

You have my sympathies. I ping-pong crashed off a couple of trees in mid-October and gave myself a second degree separation. While the pain hasn't been bad and I didn't need surgery, I have barely done a few light roads riding since. And my health insurance just denied further PT, so I'm not really sure when I'll be able to ride on dirt again. My "can I ride?" test has been trying to do push-ups. Right now, I can barely do one. So right now I'm on the indoor trainer. Next week I'm hoping to have my Wahoo and Zwift set-up, so maybe I can do something more interesting than my 20+ year old Spinerval Base Builder DVD...

You have my sympathies. I ping-pong crashed off a couple of trees in mid-October and gave myself a second degree separation. While the pain hasn't been bad and I didn't need surgery, I have barely done a few light roads riding since. And my health insurance just denied further PT, so I'm not really sure when I'll be able to ride on dirt again. My "can I ride?" test has been trying to do push-ups. Right now, I can barely do one. So right now I'm on the indoor trainer. Next week I'm hoping to have my Wahoo and Zwift set-up, so maybe I can do something more interesting than my 20+ year old Spinerval Base Builder DVD...
Oh man - wow i am surprised if you got diagnosed Grade 2 separation and still having so many issues. I got the same Grade 2 diagnosis on my shoulder from when I fell over back on Dec 28th and I was able to do some home PT and just got cleared 2 weeks ago for full activities (see BooBoos thread) Maybe another opinion might be an idea but based on everything i read Grade 2 is considered mild and they never suggest surgery. She also told me my progression in healing was right on track.

In the meantime be sure to check out the Indoor Cyclist thread on here lots of good Zwift help there; or ping me any time I have been on zwift since 2015.

p.s. I spell my first name the same 👊

Oh man - wow i am surprised if you got diagnosed Grade 2 separation and still having so many issues. I got the same Grade 2 diagnosis on my shoulder from when I fell over back on Dec 28th and I was able to do some home PT and just got cleared 2 weeks ago for full activities (see BooBoos thread) Maybe another opinion might be an idea but based on everything i read Grade 2 is considered mild and they never suggest surgery. She also told me my progression in healing was right on track.

In the meantime be sure to check out the Indoor Cyclist thread on here lots of good Zwift help there; or ping me any time I have been on zwift since 2015.

p.s. I spell my first name the same 👊
Same here. I crashed at mountain creek maybe 10yrs ago. I went to the 'doctor' at the bottom of the hill and she told me I separated my shoulder. x-ray came back with grade 2 and no surgery needed. I drove my car home, grabbed some ibuprofen from cvs, laid low for a few weeks and was fine. Small bump on my shoulder but no lingering pain.

I've got the bump on the shoulder, but putting weight on it is still pretty uncomfortable. I can do more than one push-up now, but I don't see me on dirt anytime soon. After the last time I tried to ride trails before I was ready, I regretted it and recovery was set back months. If I'm not at 100% I don't even want to try.

There is some little boy or girl fighting cancer right now that may never get a shot at life. Man up and know there is worst shit out there than what you are dealing with. Tough stance but true indeed.

I hope you heal up quick.

Not sure what your point is. It is what it is... but "tough stance" won't get me on the bike any quicker. Or why how other's faster recovery means a damn thing to me.

Back
Top Bottom