Feedback needed: Hitch Mount Bike Racks

Mildly Wild

Thinking of buying the girlfriend a light duty trailer hitch for her car and a hitch mount bike rack. I think the only hitch available for her (small) car is a CL I w/a 1.25" sq hitch mount. I would like to get some feedback on this - both the hitch and the rack. One of the things I am concerned with is the rack bouncing and rattling around with that small 1.25" interface (not a lot of bearing area there). Is there someway to secure the rack if that occurs? Are those that use these types of rack happy with them? :hmmm:
Thanks.

A rack that takes a threaded pin keeps it nice and tight.

I have a Thule T2. I wouldn't recommend it because of the constant rust issue.

I have a Kuat hitch rack that uses a 1 1/8 receiver. It has a tension adjustment for the that allows you to lock the rack tighter into the receiver. Works really well and I cant say I notice it bouncing around at all.

If price isn't too big of a concern I would recommend the Kuat NV

It is available in the 1.25 size and has a hand tightened system that prevents sway. It is extremely light and easy to fold up compared to the Thule. I would also second the notion that the Thule rack tends to rust pretty quick. That was my previous rack.

I have the 1UP USA rack and have had Zero issues with it. The standard fits the 1.25 hitch and comes with an adaptor for a 2 inch hitch (my hitch is 2 inch).

It's is solid and easy to operate solo cuz you don't have to lift the bike far to load it. When my wife needs to replace hers.... I'm getting her one...

I have the 1UP USA rack and have had Zero issues with it. The standard fits the 1.25 hitch and comes with an adaptor for a 2 inch hitch (my hitch is 2 inch).

It's is solid and easy to operate solo cuz you don't have to lift the bike far to load it. When my wife needs to replace hers.... I'm getting her one...

I use the same 1UP USA rack for 2 different hitches. Wife's Honda CR-V has 1-1/4", my Tundra is 2". Can be used as a single, double or triple bike setup.

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html

I'm on my fourth vehicle with a 1.25" hitch/platform rack combo with no issues so far. As already mentioned, get a rack with a mechanism that allows it to snug to the hitch (this eliminates any play in the tolerances between the received and the rack). A well made rack shouldn't move at all once it is snugged down.

I'd never go back to using trunk mounted or roof mountain racks- the hitch/platform combo is the way to go.

Happy with the Kuat Sherpa (notice a Kuat pattern here?)

Made from Aluminum & Light weight unlike the rust prone examples from Thule/Yakima.

Bit lighter than the Kuat NV. Granted I paid like $95 for mine, but I'd easily pay the $400+ they are new.

Only downside is a bike with fenders due to the over the wheel style clamp. I've got one of those $120 sportrack steel racks that nashbar/amazon/whoever sell for when I'm travelling and want a junky rack and something that clamps over the top tube. Quality is way different but totally worth the $120 or so I paid for it.

I had a really nice Yakima for a short bit, sold it. Way too heavy, got it before it had a chance to rust.

-Steve

Oh, and if you're considering a trunk/hatch mount rack, I'll gladly send pictures of all the paint missing from my car from the multiple racks.

Go to an REI garage sale. There's a reason why you'll always see a shitload of hatch/trunk mount racks that people returned. They suck.

-Steve

man, i would rather have one of these trunk racks, but sadly i dont think it would look good on the back of my car :(

honda-fit-2008-curt-hitch-11058-thule-917xtr-2-bike.jpg

it's almost as long as the car.

I have a Kuat NV and I think it's junk.

Bolts are all rusting on it. Cable lock is useless, and it sits in my hitch crooked.

I've had the springs in both hooks break.

Best hitch mount on the market is the 1up.

Kuat replaced several parts no issue... But if I could do it again, I would get a 1up.

Kuat NV owner, had mine for a few years now with no issues. Would buy again.

I have also had to replace a few parts of my NV, but I also leave it on my car year round and it gets quite a bit of salt exposure.

One of the things I love about it. The bike stand makes a nice extra clamp to hold my sons bike trailer

20140926_180727.jpg

I have the Kuat NV Core. Best money I ever spent. I've tried the trunk racks, Thule roof racks and an off brand roof rack.

Never had any issues with the Kuat and the lock system that hides the cables in the trays works great.

I have a seris hitch mounted rack that I stole from a friend who literally can't see the paint on his bike its been sitting so long. It sways like a motherfucker but for the price of free I don't complain. Get a nice hitch mount one like other peoples said and take care of it so it lasts. Trunk mount racks are for huffies and cars with the same amount of value.

I was an early adopter of the 1upUSA carrier and have been using it for 3-4 years. I will never use another carrier again. All aluminum, modular, excellent customer service, made in the USA, and at 23lbs is portable. You can take it on and off the car in seconds to throw in the trunk or leave it on the car with a minimal footprint. It is expensive though at $299 for a single carrier. Also comes in black but for another $50

From the web:

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a 1.25" hitch rack for years. To prevent most of the rattle, just make sure you get one that has a threaded bolt and not a slide pin. There's really not much to them so I can't imagine much can go wrong, even on a cheap unit. I think the one I have is a Yakima KingPin looking at pictures online. If you don't need a tilting rack with all the bells and whistles, a rigid rack will the cheaper and more secure.

To get the best stuff at a good price, just look for: Rigid (not folding/tilting), threaded bolt pin, rubber securing straps (I don't trust the velcro).

djWcRfA.jpg

The above mostly works with horizontal/low-angle top tube hardtails. If you have an SUV you could probably use an adapter for a full-suspension, but my car is too low to use one without cringing every time I'd have to go over a bump or up a steep driveway. I ended up getting a Yakima HoldUp from one of the guys on MTBNJ and have been using that since. Fastest mounting outside of throwing your bike in the bed of a truck.

UvXfFbC.jpg

Last edited:
what are the options for a 4 bike hitch mount?

platforms appear to be the way to go for one or two bikes but beyond that even the modular add-ons extend ridiculously far beyond the bumper

I have a Kuat NV and I think it's junk.

Bolts are all rusting on it. Cable lock is useless.

I've had the springs in both hooks break.

Kuat replaced several parts no issue... But if I could do it again, I would get a 1up.

I've experienced the same as Rich. Would probably go with a 1up if/when replaced.

Back
Top Bottom