Favorite Tires for North NJ trails

Sound Bwoy

Just curious what everyone likes riding on.

Its about about time to replace my tubeless 29er. I have Bontrager XR4's right now, but I think I want something a little more on the all mountain/enduro side.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would guess you will see Minions more than not.
I have Schwalbe NN Addix and I am pretty happy with them in terms of grip. Durability and sidewall remains to be determined.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I prefer maxxis, all of the burly maxxis tires are great in north nj. Minion, ardent, and rekon all are sturdy with lots of grip.

sundaydoug

Been riding Maxxis forever, currently on Minion DHF front and Minion DHR II rear. Great all-conditions setup

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, can't go wrong with Minions or Magic Mary/Hans Dompf combo.
These are designed for all mountain, enduro type stuff. I like Racing Ralphs/Rons for XC but they don't perform like an all mountain tire.

BPaze

Run DHF up front had an aggressor in the rear which was great but currently trying out a high roller II which is pretty good as well but not quite as grippy as the aggressor which honestly inwas looking for. Will be trying reckons pretty soon and if I remember(I wont) will post an update

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Minion DHF front. Rekon rear.

A Minion or Aggressor are also good out back. The Aggressor rolls a little faster than a Minion in my opinion. The high roller is a good "winter" tire but it's like pedaling an anchor. It clears mud way better than the others mentioned. Right now I like the Rekon out back because it is significantly lighter/faster than the other tires mentioned but still gives decent grip and seems to be durable.

BPaze

Minion DHF front. Rekon rear.

A Minion or Aggressor are also good out back. The Aggressor rolls a little faster than a Minion in my opinion. The high roller is a good "winter" tire but it's like pedaling an anchor. It clears mud way better than the others mentioned. Right now I like the Rekon out back because it is significantly lighter/faster than the other tires mentioned but still gives decent grip and seems to be durable.
I actually found the high roller to have less resistance than my aggressor but maybe that was the DD casing

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I actually found the high roller to have less resistance than my aggressor but maybe that was the DD casing

Hmm. Maybe it is just me reading something into it like a placebo. I wanted the Aggressor to feel lighter and thus it did. :shrug:

So far the Rekon has been good to me out back. I've had it in the North Jersey rocks a couple times and it survived. I will admit that 90%+ of my riding is Hartshorne and Six Mile so I don't know how it would stand up to constant duty in rocks.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I've been running the new EXO+ (over std EXO) wide-trail Minion DHF front and DHR-II rear for about 2 months, great grip and I don't feel like I'm riding through sludge.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I've been running the new EXO+ (over std EXO) wide-trail Minion DHF front and DHR-II rear for about 2 months, great grip and I don't feel like I'm riding through sludge.

I'm thinking the DHR-II will be the next one I try on the rear.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
jumbo jim in 4.4 and 4.8 - whatever will fit :D
actually, i like the nates, but they aren't what is mounted on the fat bike right now.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Timely thread, I've been wondering if there's something hotter than the proven Dart/Smoke combo I've been riding.
Funny, I think
Are/is panracer still a entity?
This was the combo of choice though i did like the xc fire pro

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, I think
Are/is panracer still a entity?
This was the combo of choice though i did like the xc fire pro

I guess the mold still works and they keep pumping them out?
https://panaracerusa.com/product/smoke-dart-mtb-tire/

That XC Fire Pro was actually a good tire, was way more aggressive than a regular XC tire. Seems to still be available, but you'd have to find a 26" wheeled bike to put them on....

Top Bottom