Favorite Protein Shake

mandi

So I’m doing the full 2 months of Insanity (as well as riding) and I need to find a good protein shake. I'm always under calories for the day, and need a filler for after workouts & a "snack" throughout the day. My normal calorie intake is around 1300 (100lbs), but I usually fall a little short of that. I've read that most people up their intake to around 2000 per day, so I need healthy options.

I've dabbled in a few brands, mostly the fruity shakes, and haven't found anything worth writing home about. I’ve been drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast after working out for the meantime and it’s at least doing the job.

So… what brands do you all like the best? Flavors? Remember, I’m looking to get lean, not bulk up.

Thanks for your help!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like muscle milk the best. Lot of fat though.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With GNC next door at my job they have a smootie bar so i been getting the peanutbutter suprise (suprise i guess is bannanas) with almound milk. Been doing that for years though it makes me fat. I do like muscle milk when i can chocolate of course.

ChrisRU

I'm a big fan of Carnation Instant Breakfast. If you like it, why not pick up some whey protein mix of the same flavor and add a scoop to the breakfast mix.

I've tried a bunch of different whey proteins over the years and they all seem pretty much the same. Since you are trying to up your calories, mix with milk (or ice cream :D) to make it more tolerable. Mixing with water ends up being gross.

Or just go hardcore and start eating tuna out of the can with some hot sauce and eat chicken breasts like potato chips.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
muscle milk light.

now that i think about it, should use my kids slushy magic kit to see if it will turn into one of those wendy's frosty things.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

A concoction that I used to make was Banana milk with a scoop of whey protein. Mix in a blender 1 banana, a cup of milk, some ice, a scoop of whey protein, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and a dash of nutmeg.

Mmm.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can't get on board with protein powder for you Mandi. First of all, it's kind of hard on your system. The guys pounding 4000 calories a day aren't going to really sweat 300 calories of protein powder, but if your daily intake ends up being 1600, you really don't want nearly 20% of those calories to be protein powder with zero nutrition.

I think you want to aim for RU's later suggestion, going hardcore with cans of tuna or eating chicken breast like pickles. Do you like pickles?

But also, I'd go back to the Q of: why are you wanting to supplement protein? Really I would ask, what's the root problem you're trying to address? Not eating enough calories? If you just want more calories, you want a balance of fat/carb/protein, not just protein.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Weren't you just saying about being being all wrapped up in numbers? :)

I obviously don't fall into the line of a person who trains and after being a vegetarian for 18 years, I call BS on the protein numbers that are forced down our throats. I also just watched Forks Over Knives and that didn't exactly leave me running out to buy manufactured protein. That being said, I sometimes drink a carnation instant breakfast after a longer ride and the next meal is a few hours away.

But for everyday snacking, it doesn't seem to make sense to be drinking any kind of protein shake. I would stick with whatever fruit is in season and if you are looking for protein, some nuts and grains.

ChrisRU

Nuts are a good suggestion if you are trying to add some calories, protein and some good fats. Buy a big container at Costco or BJ's and you're set for a while.

I forgot about meat patties. Seriously, some people go to town on beef or turkey burger patties. I got on a brief turkey burger kick once upon a time.

mandi

Well thanks for the suggestions.

The main thing is I need to eat something directly after I work out. A few years ago I used to train (gym stuff) and always drank a shake within the first 30 minutes after my work out. It's the fastest way to get protein directly into your system. Which is why I've been drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast directly after instead. I'm actually shocked to hear that ChrisRU & Kevin drink this stuff too! Maybe I'll just stick with what I'm doing... I just figured it wasn't the best option.

So I'm not looking to use it to supplement any meals, I just need something to fuel me until I eat my next meal. After I work out or ride, I need at least an hour before I can eat anything or I get sick right away. I figured it's better to have a shake then to have nothing at all.

Great feedback though... I enjoy reading it all

soulchild

I like muscle milk the best. Lot of fat though.

muscle milk light.

now that i think about it, should use my kids slushy magic kit to see if it will turn into one of those wendy's frosty things.

Yes, after a ride where my legs are really screaming or if I know I'm not going to eat within the next hour I'll drink a MM but definitely light...

This is what I don't want. Muscle Milk is a no go for me. I'm all down with drinking it with milk, but I'm looking to lose weight, not gain it!

MM has no milk ;)

I can't get on board with protein powder for you Mandi. First of all, it's kind of hard on your system. The guys pounding 4000 calories a day aren't going to really sweat 300 calories of protein powder, but if your daily intake ends up being 1600, you really don't want nearly 20% of those calories to be protein powder with zero nutrition.

I think you want to aim for RU's later suggestion, going hardcore with cans of tuna or eating chicken breast like pickles. Do you like pickles?

But also, I'd go back to the Q of: why are you wanting to supplement protein? Really I would ask, what's the root problem you're trying to address? Not eating enough calories? If you just want more calories, you want a balance of fat/carb/protein, not just protein.

This makes way more sense... eat clean, eat often... I have lost weight by say making 2 cups of brown rice with veggies and chicken breast and eating that 2-3x a day with breakfast and fruits in between faster than eating 3 light meals and exercising...

I don't think supplements make sense for anyone who isn't trying build muscle...

Weren't you just saying about being being all wrapped up in numbers? :)

I obviously don't fall into the line of a person who trains and after being a vegetarian for 18 years, I call BS on the protein numbers that are forced down our throats. I also just watched Forks Over Knives and that didn't exactly leave me running out to buy manufactured protein. That being said, I sometimes drink a carnation instant breakfast after a longer ride and the next meal is a few hours away.

But for everyday snacking, it doesn't seem to make sense to be drinking any kind of protein shake. I would stick with whatever fruit is in season and if you are looking for protein, some nuts and grains.

This documentary literally changed EVERYTHING about the way I look at food... and my body has noticed a significant difference in the last 60 days... I still enjoy chicken breast but it's waaaay minimal... I don't eat dairy anymore (except for the occasional yogurt), try to keep my gluten to a minimum as well.

rick81721

Lothar
I drink a Nitro Tech shake (mix in skim milk) every day after a workout - also add ~ 5 gram arginine. This is more for muscle building tho.

walter

Fourth Party
MM has no milk ;)

Lets say I have this friend in the beverage business, who happens to deliver Muscle Milk (in the bottle that you fnd in your quicky marts, not the powder stuff in Vitamin stores). He did some research, each bottle of MM has as much cholesterol as 2 tablespoons of mayo. It is also high in fat. It does not contain milk. It has a longer shelf life longer than soda.

Save yourself some money, buy a bottle of lowfat Quick.

tednugent

Vega One nutritional "shake"
7E89F67E-4342-42CE-9C7A-E93C238801F4-2431-00000609A12AB361.jpg

stuff ain't cheap though

and I am a meat eater...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back when my stomach didn't stick out as much as it does now, I drank a thing of whey after every workout.

PTB66

Optimum nutrition whey protein. Double chocolate mixed with vanilla rice milk kicks butt. It mixes easily and it's cheap. I drink this or Hammers recoverite after every ride/race. This stuff is easy on the gut too.

vanseggern1

This is what I don't want. Muscle Milk is a no go for me. I'm all down with drinking it with milk, but I'm looking to lose weight, not gain it!

I drink chocolate Skim Plus milk during/after gym workouts. It's creamy like 2% milk but without the fat. It's more expensive than regular milk, but cheaper than Carnation IB. It also has more protein and calcium than regular milk. The latter of which will help prevent bone density loss that starts affecting women in their 20's. You can also get the regular Skim Plus and mix in Hershey's, Nestle's, etc.

Rogers

I don't trust any of the protein or recovery shake products. You really don't know what is in them. I found a recipe by Joel Friel (http://www.joefrielsblog.com/). I use grape juice, cherry juice, a bannana, dextrose, and egg white powder. I also make the same shake but instead of the juice I use almond milk and either a little peanut butter or almond butter.

You know everything that is in it and you can tailor it to meet you nutritional needs ie. more carbs, protien or fat. Just get one of those bullet blenders and it takes a minute to make and another few seconds to clean up.

I buy the dextrose from http://www.naturesflavors.com/index.php/organic-dextrose-powder-kosher-vegan-gluten-free.html

I buy the egg white powder from http://www.sportprotein.com/

Top Bottom