Fatbikes of NJ Gallery

serviceguy

The rear is opposite of mine currently. The tire is better the same as the front around here, but in real snow conditions, backwards.
More than a year later and after my very first attempt at snow riding...the HuDU on the Mukluk are now installed as you suggested, center lugs on both tires pointing forward. I have been riding them like this on regular conditions with no issues at all, but in the snow...not so much. I guess I should have flipped the rear, which would have helped with traction, but the front seems to always pull to the left...not sure it's a tire issue but...

correction, according to the tire marking I should flip the front, which looking at the actual blocks on the center doesn’t really makes sense as the blocks have a sloped edge when entering the snow...
image.jpg

Last edited:

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Looking back, no regrets. Love my 29er hardtail and enjoyed my fatbike for a few years. Trail along the Saddle River outside my house is plowed during the storm and rideable 365 days a year. While I won’t be riding as much snow this year, I will be riding plenty. Had no problem peddling during the storm the other night, just wet blowing snow sucked after a while. Enjoy your fat bikes this winter my mountain biking friends. Keep the pictures coming as I love the look of fat bikes.
59E7B5DF-2677-4C16-93FD-31E79C687407.jpeg

serviceguy

I did some recon to see what the conditions were like. Stuck to the main trails that were ridden by motorized vehicles. Some places were still soft but overall about 90% rideable.
I did the same. Actually took the same path on Potake rd where a struggled yesterday and with a lower tire pressure was doable...or maybe the snow was more supportive today. Saw a bunch of what I thought were bear footprint, not 100% on it but it’s possible. Probably staying put tomorrow, two days in a row we’re a little exhausting for my first experience on the snow. But I did enjoy it.

Fat Trout

I did the same. Actually took the same path on Potake rd where a struggled yesterday and with a lower tire pressure was doable...or maybe the snow was more supportive today. Saw a bunch of what I thought were bear footprint, not 100% on it but it’s possible. Probably staying put tomorrow, two days in a row we’re a little exhausting for my first experience on the snow. But I did enjoy it.
I ride my fat bike more in non snow conditions than snowy by far. However the most fun I ever had was when i came across packed trails with moderate hills. Trails packed by a combination of snow shoe'ers and cross country skiers. It was a ton of fun. It was like riding a continuous skinny and the downhills were super fun....almost out of control but snow to land on. The snow was packed but couldn't have handled a skinny tire without issues. I look for conditions like that now and will get my ass out there cold and early before things soften when i can find that.

serviceguy

I ride my fat bike more in non snow conditions than snowy by far. However the most fun I ever had was when i came across packed trails with moderate hills. Trails packed by a combination of snow shoe'ers and cross country skiers. It was a ton of fun. It was like riding a continuous skinny and the downhills were super fun....almost out of control but snow to land on. The snow was packed but couldn't have handled a skinny tire without issues. I look for conditions like that now and will get my ass out there cold and early before things soften when i can find that.
Plenty of that in Ringwood right now...

Top Bottom