Fat tire rim tape advice.

serviceguy

While it has worked flawlessly for me, I want to move away from the fatty stripper mainly because when I remove the tire it’s a goner…I used the sun ringle 78mm tape on a mulefut and it appears to be crap, not sure if it was old or just crap, but just applying it I could tell it would not stick. I’m trying whiskey now, 80mm, looks more promising. What’s the agreed standard on this matter?

I used whiskey on my 1 year old light wheel set. But my original set (riding currently as my winter set) still has the sun ringle tape on Mulefut 80 rims from 8 YEARS AGO. Both sets are aluminum not carbon.
Maybe wheel prep could be the case? Clean surface with more alcohol? Hope you can resolve the issue.

Last edited:
I used whiskey on my 1 year old light wheel set. But my original set (riding currently as my winter set) still has the sun ringle tape from 8 YEARS AGO. Both sets are aluminum not carbon.
Maybe wheel prep could be the case? Clean surface with more alcohol? Hope you can resolve the issue.
Whiskey tape seems to have fixed it. It’s actually 2mm wider than the Sun Ringle one and seems to work better with those little holes they conveniently placed near the rim lip.

Clean the rim/fabric tape (important part). If you just clean out the rim, the tape is sticking to about 5mm of rim.

I also encourage the use of a brand new fabric strip, since you don't have to deal with bubbles.

Clean the rim/fabric tape (important part). If you just clean out the rim, the tape is sticking to about 5mm of rim.
Done and done.
I also encourage the use of a brand new fabric strip, since you don't have to deal with bubbles.
I thought about that, but my goal was to ride the perfect conditions we had yesterday and I did not have a spare strip.
Gorilla tape. All my rims have it and none have ever leaked. Like never.
Thank you but no thank you.
are you running tubes? If so, I used shipping plastic wrap as rec my @Patrick. 3 layers for super lightness
No tubes.

While I could not detect any leaks yesterday after switching ti Whisky tape, this morning both wheels were slightly deflated, I identified the reason in the valve not sealing properly against the rim (single wall alloy). Super p-nuts on order.

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/super-p-nuts

Sun ringle tape has always worked for me. The key is to getting a perfect seal is to bed in the newly installed tape with a tube inflated to 20 psi overnight. You still might end up using the fatty strippers because they enable some pretty questionable rim/tire combos to run without burping or leakage.

Sun ringle tape has always worked for me. The key is to getting a perfect seal is to bed in the newly installed tape with a tube inflated to 20 psi overnight. You still might end up using the fatty strippers because they enable some pretty questionable rim/tire combos to run without burping or leakage.
THe roll of Sun Ringle tape I have may have gone bad due to age as it doesn't seem to stick. I use the tube technique every time I re-tape a wheel.

I bought and used a roll of 78mm Sun tape last spring. It didn’t seem to stick well either, used some 3M tape on the other wheel. See which lasts longer. Might get some fatty strippers next time i have to do this.

The split tube method would be like a reusable fatty stripper.

Back
Top Bottom