Fat tire pressure

skyrokz

Going to take my fatboy Out for its first ride tomorrow, what's a good tire pressure to start with? I'm close to 200#, rigid fork with specialized ground control tires set up tubeless.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Between and including roughly 8 and 10, more or less, give or take a few, just about, in that vicinity.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been running 5 front and rear on my rigid Fatboy with the 4.6 GC tires. I've had them as low as 3.75-4ish, but the rim hits and self steering become too much of a concern. At 5 I only get a rim hit if I really come down hard on the right shape rock, which happens but not often. I would need higher pressure for sure if I had carbon rims.

FitmanNJ

I've been running 5 front and rear on my rigid Fatboy with the 4.6 GC tires. I've had them as low as 3.75-4ish, but the rim hits and self steering become too much of a concern. At 5 I only get a rim hit if I really come down hard on the right shape rock, which happens but not often. I would need higher pressure for sure if I had carbon rims.

At what bodyweight, Jim?

FitmanNJ

Darn, I was hoping that you were 250 or so:)! I'm about 165-170lbs and can run Bud&Lou at 4F/5R on 90mm rims, but I was hoping that Ground Controls could become a "summer" option if I mounted them on the 90mm rims at fairly low pressures, too. Maybe not -- my rims are carbon.

What size rims have you been using that would take hits with the GCs mounted?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Darn, I was hoping that you were 250 or so:)! I'm about 165-170lbs and can run Bud&Lou at 4F/5R on 90mm rims, but I was hoping that Ground Controls could become a "summer" option if I mounted them on the 90mm rims at fairly low pressures, too. Maybe not -- my rims are carbon.

What size rims have you been using that would take hits with the GCs mounted?

90mm but I'm also riding really rocky shit and have only had maybe 2-3 rim hits at 5psi. Not sure where you normally ride, but you have to come down pretty hard directly on a rock for it to hit the rim.

FitmanNJ

90mm but I'm also riding really rocky shit and have only had maybe 2-3 rim hits at 5psi. Not sure where you normally ride, but you have to come down pretty hard directly on a rock for it to hit the rim.

Thanks, Jim. I'm hitting some rocky trails, too. I damaged a 65mm Nextie carbon rear wheel this summer at Chimney Rock, but it had a Husker Du on at the time, which doesn't provide a whole lot of volume for safety. I find the bump absorption on my Fatboy much better at the low-ish pressures, but running through carbon rims isn't my idea of good financial management!

Top Bottom