Fat Chance owners?

al415

Banned
I toyed with several variations along the same theme for the title of this thread: "Hey Fatties", "Hello Fatso" and so on... In the end I decided I haven’t been here long enough and better play it safe. Anyway, I’ve come across a clean 1985 Fat Chance that I’ll probably pick up in a week or so. I’ve had a few Bontrager frames over the years, as well as a couple of other semi-boutique and major manufacturer bikes (from Trek to Spooky and Dekerf). I never had much time on a Fat Chance though. If the shop I was associated with through the 90’s had carried them (instead of Bontrager) things might have been different. The Somerville MA bikes seem to have a much more ardent following than many bikes of the same era, including Bontrager. Do any of your guys still own / ride a Fat Chance? A wicked, Yo Eddy or whatever? Any thoughts on them? Or cool stories? I’ll be riding it as a singlespeed, and I think its non-suspension geometry will make a nice contrast to my suspended race-lite. Of course, this might spell the end for my unbuilt 29er frameset…

RNG1

The vision of the Fat Chance bike in my brain that popped in my head was from when I was racing like 12 years ago. I always liked them and some of my buddies were racing them. I ended up with a Rocky Mountain altitude T.O. (team only) 853 frame that I love and still have. Unfortunately when I tried to bring it up to date this year after all these years, the longer travel fork really made it too tall for me to do any really serious riding so I built it up as a single speed that hangs in the garage. It's in great shape no dents and I brought it to the jorbafest and got some comments instantly when I pulled my kid on a tandem thing. I also know someone that still has a Fat Chance in their garage and hardly ever rides it now as he lives in south america mostly...I wonder if he'd part with it? I think it is the same size as my rocky though. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Paging Gary from Bike N Gear...

Gary was riding his Yo Eddy when he and I met, probably around 95. We used to switch bikes, since we were both on medium frames and of similar height. I remember his Fat feeling really solid and dialed, less front-biased than the Bonty.

He can tell you more specifics, I'm sure.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
My brother has a fat chance. He started riding again on it a few years ago. He has since upgraded to FS, but ya never know, he may get the rigid urge and bring it out once again.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Paging Gary from Bike N Gear...

Gary was riding his Yo Eddy when he and I met, probably around 95. We used to switch bikes, since we were both on medium frames and of similar height. I remember his Fat feeling really solid and dialed, less front-biased than the Bonty.

He can tell you more specifics, I'm sure.

91 Yo eddy, still have it hanging in the basement at the shop. If I could figure out how to get 29" wheels on it I'd ride it tomorrow.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
theres a guy who rides with us in montclair who has a fat chance SS, he says he loves it, its too small for me so i never could ride it

al415

Banned
I have two vivid Fat Chance memories from around 1989-91. The first one I saw was on a Dirt Dawgs ride up at Newpaltz. There was a woman with a Yo Eddy, she wore a dark wool jersey, had black hair and could more than keep up with the hammerheads. She was probably one of the first female riders I ever saw in the woods, and it gave Fats an instant cult status in my mind. The other was a group ride in Hartshorne. There was a guy on a purple Yo. He worked for MTV, was a really nice guy and had a fearsome mullet! I forget his name, but I’ll never forget that hair.

Ian F

I knew a few Fat Chance riders in the 90's. I still kinda wish for the Amp F/S frame they made... as flexy as it may have been...

Of course, I currently own a '97 Indy Fab (same welders, different label), so I'm baised. :rolleyes:

CrossAddict

Vicious Cycles

Carl over a Vicious bought alot of the equipment in his shop from Chris when he shut down. So in a small way my Motivator has a Little "fat" in it.

~r

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Hey, mr pixy has the matching purple jersey. I love that thing! Along with my 89 Diamond Back jersey.

al415

Banned
91 Yo eddy, still have it hanging in the basement at the shop. If I could figure out how to get 29" wheels on it I'd ride it tomorrow.

I found an old Fat online that had been converted to 650b by Mike Flanigan of A.N.T. (and formerly of Fat City and I.F.) I can't find the link anymore...

Top Bottom