Fat-capable hitch rack - what’s best?

one piece crank

I need to get a new hitch rack that can handle full-fat bikes. Looking to carry one bike regularly, but definitely two, maybe three on occasion (I can live with two on the rack an the third inside vehicle, if that opens options).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rockymounts monorail double and you have the option to put on a add on if need be. You can put any wheel size on without any extra purchase.
20190213_174329.jpg
20190213_173509.jpg

You can find deals on rackattack, look for open box deals.

I would buy again, except maybe the back stage swing away next time for the swing cool factor.
https://rockymounts.com/collections...XTUn-yc_1k6z9D1z1hM3uO6FLrEuR4wRoCHcEQAvD_BwE

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1Up
https://www.1up-usa.com/

Very light - 1-4 bikes (can be configured)
Need to order the fat kit - they will install it if pre-ordered - still works with regular tires.
Fast on/off cause no ratchet strap - which wouldn't work great with my wheel anyway.
biggest problem: $$$$ other than that it looks like a hs metal shop project.

1574682961998.png
1574682983655.png

Last edited:

Leftymuk

oobaa47

Hollywood racks you can get fat tire holders and change them out yourself
I've had this rack for years. For the price point, it's definitely a solid rack. You don't even have to purchase fat tire holders. You can just flip the ones it comes with upside down and buy some velcro straps. Someone on this site recommended doing just that and it works flawlessly.....

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
BEST would definitely be the 1up. But tons of racks will work well. I have a Kuat Transfer, which is the cheapest.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BEST would definitely be the 1up. But tons of racks will work well. I have a Kuat Transfer, which is the cheapest.
Saw you post in this thread; came to like how the trunk of your GTI is the best bike rack. Disappointed.

The RockyMounts looks like a great rack, especially at the price. I almost got one, but then I just blew all my money on the 1Up single and add-on instead because I've always wanted one and folds up neat. +1 for 1Up.

one piece crank

Really good rack nfo - Thank you!

That 1UP is one ugly looking rack! But I like the single's collapsed position, and the fact that I could buy a single and add up to two more bikes (instead of hauling one bike on a triple-rack 95% of the time).

Patrick

Staff member
Another vote for 1 Up USA rack. Rack is great for fat, mountain and road bikes
Made my own light set up for it because $180 for 1up’s was ridicules. View attachment 111801

details on your light solution please. i've been looking to do something like this.
similar to your pic, check out mine - the wheels/tires do a nice job at blocking the taillights.

Patrick

Staff member
i don't like to take my bike apart
i don't like mud in my car
i don't like grease in my car
i get a nasty wheel mark when i close the door
i don't like dirty towels and blankets in my car, and it is a hassle moving them out and in
i'm going to hit the headliner, sooner or later
i want people to see my fatbike on the back and laugh at me.
i want people to see the evo and think, wannabe
i want people to see the 1up, and think i passed hs metal shop
My car comes with a factory hitch, so may as well use it.

@FitmanNJ made sure the bike fit inside before buying the car, so there is def 1 on your side.
@JimN puts his in the car - i think he wants it locked in there. does it ever come out, except to ride?

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@JimN puts his in the car - i think he wants it locked in there. does it ever come out, except to ride?

If I'm not riding it, my bike is in the car. If I ride from home, I'll take the bike out of the car to ride it, and then put it back in the car when I'm done. It's slightly annoying to have to take the front wheel off, but I think it's less annoying than moving it back and forth between the car and the garage. I like that the bike is locked inside because it used to sit in an office parking lot all day, and I'll also run errands and go places and just not have to worry about it. I've been saying for five years that I'm going to put a hitch on the car and buy a rack, but it hasn't happened yet.

rick81721

Lothar
i don't like to take my bike apart
i don't like mud in my car
i don't like grease in my car
i get a nasty wheel mark when i close the door
i don't like dirty towels and blankets in my car, and it is a hassle moving them out and in
i'm going to hit the headliner, sooner or later
i want people to see my fatbike on the back and laugh at me.
i want people to see the evo and think, wannabe
i want people to see the 1up, and think i passed hs metal shop
My car comes with a factory hitch, so may as well use it.

@njfitman made sure the bike fit inside before buying the car, so there is def 1 on your side.

Never had an SUV that couldn't fit a bike without taking anything off it.
A good painters tarp takes care of the next 4
I don't like the idea of exposed bikes on the rear of a car - remember I got rear-ended when towing a boat once (which got totaled)
Finally, ideally I like to do most my mountain biking from home - tho with the move to Flemington not sure if that is feasible anymore. Closest parks are probably Baldpate or Round Valley

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Saw you post in this thread; came to like how the trunk of your GTI is the best bike rack. Disappointed.

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be less of a hatchback snob to fit in with the peasants better. Everyone knows a GTI is the best bike rack. And they're cheaper than a 1up.

Mr.Moto

I really like my 1Up rack as well. Fits all manner of bikes. Super solid. Bike on and off in seconds. Same for for the rack which can be good or bad. Agree that it looks like someone cobbled it up in metal shop.

@Patrick Since you have one and are the resident mech guru - question regarding disassembly. I have a first gen rack I bought on here which had one of the blue rotating tabs tweaked, cracking the center plate. I got the replacement parts, but find that the countersunk screws securing the plate use a small hex size and the screws seem to be really stuck - galvanic corrosion? I'm pretty close to stripping the hex area in the screw. Tried heat, PB blaster, no luck. Any suggestions? Was thinking to just have at it with an EZ out.

Top Bottom