Fat Bike Questions

goodvibe

Greetings
Jim Vreeland, your incessant posting about the fat bicycle has sparked my curiosity. I had the opportunity to ride one today thanks to the folks at Cycle Craft and I had an awesome time. It surprised me how nimble it was and how awesome the traction was. It wasn't too bad going up the hills either.

The questions I have are as follows:
  • How do you transport it in your car? I have a Saris Cycle-On Bike rack and I don't think it will accommodate a tire that large.
  • How much are tubes if I get a flat?
  • Why do they only make them with mechanical disc brakes?

If I can think of any others, I will ask.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Greetings
Jim Vreeland, your incessant posting about the fat bicycle has sparked my curiosity. I had the opportunity to ride one today thanks to the folks at Cycle Craft and I had an awesome time. It surprised me how nimble it was and how awesome the traction was. It wasn't too bad going up the hills either.

• How do you transport it in your car? I have a Saris Cycle-On Bike rack and I don't think it will accommodate a tire that large.

If I can think of any others, I will ask.

Were you in the 9:30 group?

1UPUSA has an awesome rack and they sell a "fat" kit for it. http://www.1upusa.com/

gtluke

The Moped
Mine has hydro brakes. Shrug.
Jim puts his in his t unk because I stole his fork adapter and then he couldn't get another one. Actually Jim just rides to every park from his house because he's a hippie.

goodvibe

I was in the 9:30 group. It was a good time. Is there an adapter? I have a fork mount rack inside my car. Is there an adapter so I can at least put the bicycle in the car?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
re: Tubes...they are about $13 each. And they are heavy, but that's the price you pay for fun ;)

re: Rack....of course you can also use a regular rear-mount style where you hang the bike by the top tube.

gtluke

The Moped
Fyi my fatty fits on both my hitch racks, it kinda sits on the wheel holders but it works, I just use bungee slings since the last clamps don't reach around the husker du's. But the bike is held down by the frame hold down on the one race and by the tire hold down on the other rack.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Once you go fat!!

They got you on tubes already.

I custom adapted a Thule Sidearm to fit my fat bike. Before that I used a Fork Up adapter and an Echelon. Many of the hitch racks fit a fat bike out of the box.

Mechanical because...If you actually ride your fat bike in AK, the fluid, seals, etc inside your hydraulic brake will freeze, shrink, blow up, etc. These are not issues here in NJ so you can run hydros. I have the 4-piston XO Trail on mine to give it uber stopping power.

-Jim.

SmooveP

Greetings

You don't put that filthy thing in your car.
    You can run regular tubes in an emergency. Or when the Surly tubes are out of stock (like right now). Some people run them all the time to save weight.
    Mechanicals are popular because some people ride these bikes in the snow. Hydraulic brakes can have problems when it gets really cold.

Get one!

Top Bottom