Family Friendly Parks

walter

Fourth Party
So, after my return to Chimney Rock bashed me up pretty good, I decided to take the rest of this beautiful weekend off from the bike. Me, my wife and my daughter went yesterday to Thomson Park in Jamesburg and spent the afternoon picnicing, playing in the playground, relaxing with some good finger foods and just enjoying the wonderful day.

Today, my wife and daughter tell me they want to picnic again, but maybe include some bike riding time for daddy as well. So my question to all of the great people here at mtbnj is this, what parks in this great state wil provide us with the following; picnic grounds, doesnt have to be actual picnic areas, but more of a place where we can throw down a blanket and relax for a few hours. Playgrounds, swingsets etc., something that will keep my soon to be 4 y/o occupied after she puts down the tricycle, ball, frisbee, and a multitude of dolls. Finally, trail time for dad, again, doesnt have to be an epic ride, maybe something I can bang out in an hour or so.

I know by me, Allaire, Cheesequake and I think Tatum have all of the above, but where else is there, statewide, we dont mind a ride.

Thanks kids, and as expected, its almost time to try out my Lake winter shoes.

ArmyOfNone

Its not a mtbers paradise, but why not check out holmdel park. There is a good trail system there. it has a few good climbs and decents. Well atleast when i was running xc there were. There is one section called "the bowl" which is about a mile and is the highlight of the trails IMO.

LM i think has a playground and beach like area to swin in.

walter

Fourth Party
Its not a mtbers paradise, but why not check out holmdel park. There is a good trail system there. it has a few good climbs and decents. Well atleast when i was running xc there were. There is one section called "the bowl" which is about a mile and is the highlight of the trails IMO.

LM i think has a playground and beach like area to swin in.

Yes, Holmdel is on our list, but I am not sure if it is bike friendly. And yes, I ran the bowl in counties and states back in the day. Thanks. We are actually trying to hit LM before the planned gathering to see if it appeals to everyone

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Gah i hated that freakin thing! I was always counting down till i hit that thing. Only good thing was soon as you got out the race was over.

Just checked, you cant ride at holdmel. I guess you could road ride. :-/

anrothar

entirely thrilled
mahlon will meet all of your needs. go to the picnic area parking lot, which will be the last entrance on your left coming from rt 15. there is a seldom used baseball/softball field, loads of tables, a pavilion, barbque racks, awooden train playground, permanent bathrooms. from there it would be an easy hike to headley overlook, which is very scenic, and of course, all the mtn biking you could want.

ytc100

Kittatinny is another great option. Picnic tables, a scenic lake and small airport (watch the small planes take off), plus miles of rail trail, some easy trails, and more advanced trails as well if you want. No playground though.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chimney Rock has a little playground. Round Valley has a beach and I imagine a playground somewhere.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
RV does has a playground and picnic area right down by the beach....so bring some beach toys for the sand and kids can be entertained for quite awhile. there are a couple other playgrounds in other areas of the park too if you prefer to be away from the water.

BiknBen

Ringwood has all of the above. Park at the Shepards Lake area. Sand, Playscape, picnic area w/ grills, bathrooms, and of course trails.

You could also park near the botanical gardens if flowers and butterflies are interesting to you.

D

DANSPANK

As Fred said, Lewis Morris has the lot. I imagine that the beach will close soon, if not already. Coming from Morristown you would take the first entrance to LM park, proceed up the hill and take the third left. The swings and things are at the end of the parking lot. The bike trails can start from there too.

There's alos a dog park if you have a pooch and want to bring him.

Round Valley is the area's best inland diving lake too. The water is supposed to have good vis and there are lots of wreck of cars, earth movers and I think a light aircraft in there. It's on my list of things to do.

SpartaBard

Anyone say the Tourne yet?

Picnic tables, covered pavilion, playground, variety of trails. No stunts to fall over...:D

D

DANSPANK

Tourne also has a nice little lake with a beach area. The lifeguards are likely gone now so you won't need to prove that you live there.

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks for the great help everybody, much appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a park anywhere in Hartshorne? For some reason I keep thinking there is a park by the upper lot, or maybe I am confusing two different things. Thanks again for the help.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
there is no playground in Hartshorne. there might be a picnic table or two up by the old 'fort' but nothing to entertain kids. you pass by the Twin Lights Lighthouse on the hill leading to the top parking lot, which you can stop and tour....not much fun for little guys though.

Top Bottom