Fall riding

K

ks9mm

HI All!!

how does fall riding (trail covered with leaves) affect your riding?

do you ride slower if trail is covered by leaves? or just ignore it and ride through?

Glancing Aft

Just Point and Pray :D Providing the leaves aren't wet I go at my normal pace, fall is definitely my favorite time to ride.

ytc100

HI All!!

do you ride slower if trail is covered by leaves? or just ignore it and ride through?

Deep leaves can be intimidating for sure, especially if you are on unfamiliar trails. They do slow me down sometimes but on well ridden trails they'll get flattened out nicely.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
HI All!!

Fall is a great time to ride! Awesome breathing and perfect temperatures. The down sides are being cautious because of hunters, shorter days and leaves on the trails.

There is one thing in particular about fall that drives me a little nuts, though. When that darn leaves gets caught between the rear wheel and the frame -- that is annoying, especially on the climbs because I hear myself slowing down. :)

K

ks9mm

Thanks for replies!

last question!

do you make adjustments to tire presure to compensate for some lose of traction?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Yes, be careful of those leaves. The back injury that kept me off the bike for over a decade may have been caused by a crash that was the result of leaves on a trail. I say "may" because it was several years after before I was in "bad" shape and that was the only acute injury I could recall.

It was a fairly fast down hill with a deep water puddle at the bottom...leaves floating on the top of the puddle kept the puddle hidden. And when I hit the bottom at 35, or so, mph I took a nice flight over the bars (with a not-so-nice landing).

My back was sore for a couple weeks...didn't think much of it, though I did take the rest of the season off. When I started riding the next spring, I started feeling tightness in my back that got worse 'n worse over the next few seasons (!!)...until one day I couldn't walk. The docs thought it was muscle spasms. They finally did an MRI when I couldn't walk and my toes were numb. Two bulging, herniated, and compressed discs. Joy.

But hey, I'm riding again! Very leary of those leaves, though:(

anrothar

entirely thrilled
fall riding is great on well designed/maintained trails. it can really suck on fireroads/quad trails or anything loose. nothing worse than grinding up a climb and all of a sudden hitting an unseen fist sized rock under the leaves and ffzzzztttt goes your back wheel. goodbye momentum. well, i suppose there are some things that would be worse, like prison gang rape, or a pickle-tomato-mushroom-mayonaise-oliveloaf sandwhich, but it's still pretty bad.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
just bomb the trails and don't worry about the leaves, or just ride six mile when there are more pine tree then deciduous.

Wazu

Leaves hide danger. Wet leaves can be like ice especially over flat rock. Respect them I say. I bomb through but I'm ready for no traction at any point and until the leaves are all down I usually stick to trails I know. Uh oh dinner is ready..........

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I can recall riding last fall at Ringwood and bombing down a fireroad thinking, man this just isn't safe. Not on an XC bike anyway. Eye your line, take your time.

That said, fall is also my favorite time to ride. The temp is perfect, tree colors, that back to school vibe, etc. Only thing that stinks is the shorter days.

Maybe finally invest in a good halogen light this fall.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Respect the leaves! You never know what they are hiding :D

Diablo 3 - ElZoller 0 :(

img021.jpg

Third crash today took my front brake lever :mad:

Oh yeah, conditions @ Diablo were perfect.....However, ElZoller & his bike's conditions NOT that perfect ;)

Last edited:

hooples3

leaves are not usually a problem unless you think they are hiding something, like ruts, underneath.. just pedal faster ;)

wet leaves ... now those are a problem

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
leaves are not usually a problem unless you think they are hiding something, like ruts, underneath.. just pedal faster ;)

wet leaves ... now those are a problem

Actually, they're more of a problem when you DON'T think they're hiding something, like ruts, underneath ;)

Top Bottom