Fairmount (Belmont) Park Philly

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to be in Philly this weekend and considering riding Fairmount Park on Sunday. Anyone know the conditions? Is it ridable? Is it worth riding? I've never been. Any input, like direction to ride, would be appreciated.

JDurk

Is it worth riding? Yes, but Belmont is difficult to follow without a tour guide if you're not familiar. I've heard conditions are improving. Relatively flat with short punchy climbs, lots of ST and log overs. Wissahickon is just across the river, offers more climbing and rocks, and is well marked. A short ride between the two, you can easily connect and do both if you have the time. Both are on Trailforks. Where to safely park is something to consider as well. Depending on where you're staying, riding your bike to the trail is easy using the Schuylkill River Trail.

Last edited:

Ian F

I tend to agree. The Wissahickon is easier to do without prior knowledge or a guide - start at Valley Green Inn, look at a map and pick a direction. The trails at Belmont Plateau are more like a web and it can be tricky to put together a fun loop. What time day are you thinking? While rain is currently predicted for Thursday, the trails may be dry enough to ride on by the weekend. My friends and I ride there fairly often and we may be there Sat or Sun.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I'm going to be in Philly this weekend and considering riding Fairmount Park on Sunday. Anyone know the conditions? Is it ridable? Is it worth riding? I've never been. Any input, like direction to ride, would be appreciated.

Conditions are currently excellent. Philly is a great place to MTB! Thursday's rain shouldn't impact your ride on Sunday.

All trails in one day would be huge, there is that much to ride. Its true that Belmont is more difficult to navigate, but it is my fav spot. Most trails are on trailforks. The wiss loop can turn people around occasionally, but its much easier to follow for sure.

If you want a tour I can connect you to peeps or maybe get out myself, lmk.

Top Bottom