F150 to Jetta TDI

DaveyNJ

I just traded in my 2008 F150 for a 2010 Jetta TDI. I must say that I am pretty happy with the TDI. Its actually a fast car because of torque I guess. I commute 90 miles roundtrip to work, so I'm hoping this car will almost pay for itself.

When the Thule roof bike rack gets installed I'll really be happy :) I'm on the Thule site picking out the stuff now...

mtn_goat

Sportwagon or sedan?
I have a 2009 Sportwagon TDI. I like the ride and the torque, but not too quick off the line, the gearing of the 6 speed is really low!
You should get great mileage on your commute, it will increase as you put miles on the car, once it gets broken into between 20,000 to 30,000 miles. I am averaging about 48 mpg on my 22 mile commute in to work, 37 mpg on the way home (mostly uphill). On a trip (to Virginia) I got 48 mpg overall. On another trip (to Kingdom Trails) with 4 bikes (2 on the roofrack with a cargo box and 2 on a trailer hitch rack) with 3 guys, I got 33 mpg. The wind resistance of the bikes kill the mileage.

Good luck with your TDI. Check out tdi.com, a great forum just for TDI's.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
vw-jetta-tdi-tsi-racer-uk-2008-1.jpg

:D

-Jim.

DaveyNJ

Sportwagon or sedan?
I have a 2009 Sportwagon TDI. I like the ride and the torque, but not too quick off the line, the gearing of the 6 speed is really low!
You should get great mileage on your commute, it will increase as you put miles on the car, once it gets broken into between 20,000 to 30,000 miles. I am averaging about 48 mpg on my 22 mile commute in to work, 37 mpg on the way home (mostly uphill). On a trip (to Virginia) I got 48 mpg overall. On another trip (to Kingdom Trails) with 4 bikes (2 on the roofrack with a cargo box and 2 on a trailer hitch rack) with 3 guys, I got 33 mpg. The wind resistance of the bikes kill the mileage.

Good luck with your TDI. Check out tdi.com, a great forum just for TDI's.

Thanks.. I got the sedan, with automatic, leather , bluetooth, sirius, ipod connector :D I agree that the mileage will increase when the engine breaks in. I like watching the fuel consumption indicator....like a little game. TDI forum is great, funny how most cars have some kind of cult following.

I'm getting adjusted to the smaller center console and door pockets. I lost my wallet in the Allaire parking lot today because I was all out of sorts with where to put things. I like routine, and my routine was broken. (got the wallet back thankfully)

My GF Rig fits in the back with the back seat down, front wheel and seat off. Thats pretty impressive, but not a long term solution. I hate taking my bike apart.

I think I'm gonna get the Thule Big Mouth... and probably upgrade the factory speakers.

supermike

I've got an 03 TDI, and its still going strong. I kick around the idea of getting a new Jetta TDI, Audi A3 TDI or maybe a diesel MB, but I really enjoy not having car payments. I'm getting about 42 MPG.

JumpinJosh

Funny you went from a truck to a TDI. I have a Sub Outback which is in its later years. 160K miles but it had some inflected pain from a grease monkey who didn't know Subes. I've driven cross country from Seattle to NJ in it.

Anyway, I often think what my next vehicle will be. Part of me likes the fuel economy, reliability and compactness of the TDI. The other part of me wants a truck. In my case I am a pretty diehard Toyota Tacoma fan, having owned one previously.

My other hobby and home renovations require me to often haul plywood sheets or tons of tiles, for example. A bed is a pretty nice feature. My outback holds sheets of plywood with the back lid open.

gtluke

The Moped
You can buy diesel Subaru's in Japan, I god damn hate our emission tree hugging nazi's in this country. Give us free reign on diesels! they get like freakin double the gas mileage!

Robson

You can buy diesel Subaru's in Japan, I god damn hate our emission tree hugging nazi's in this country. Give us free reign on diesels! they get like freakin double the gas mileage!

They are all over Europe too...

gtluke

The Moped
A diesel WRX wagon would be god damn awesome. Actually a diesel lancer ralliart sportback with a 6 speed would be awesomer as I wouldn't have to be a Subaru owner ;)

DaveyNJ

Funny you went from a truck to a TDI. I have a Sub Outback which is in its later years. 160K miles but it had some inflected pain from a grease monkey who didn't know Subes. I've driven cross country from Seattle to NJ in it.

Anyway, I often think what my next vehicle will be. Part of me likes the fuel economy, reliability and compactness of the TDI. The other part of me wants a truck. In my case I am a pretty diehard Toyota Tacoma fan, having owned one previously.

My other hobby and home renovations require me to often haul plywood sheets or tons of tiles, for example. A bed is a pretty nice feature. My outback holds sheets of plywood with the back lid open.

1.9% financing, 3/36,000 free maintenance, $650 tax credit when I do my taxes :D
I had no real need for a truck. It was just nice to have, crazy to commute in.

THATmanMANNY

Love my family's 2006 TDI. I don't care if my ass starts to hurt after a couple hours. IT GETS 50mpg!

I want an old golf TDI and convert it to biodiesel. I have unlimited veggie oil :)

congrats and enjoy!

DaveyNJ

Love my family's 2006 TDI. I don't care if my ass starts to hurt after a couple hours. IT GETS 50mpg!

I want an old golf TDI and convert it to biodiesel. I have unlimited veggie oil :)

congrats and enjoy!

Thanks.. I got 45.8MPg on this morning's 43 mile commute:

Attachments

• Diesel MPG.jpg
    Diesel MPG.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 24

don

50 mpg is very impressive. Like many others I would like to see more diesels available. We just got a Suburban and surprised that no diesels are offered for it. Although on a recent trip to VT, we got 19mpg on the highway portion fully loaded down.

One of these days I'll replace the Petrol V8 in my Defender with a turbo diesel. Guys on the various sites say they get well over 20mpg with one. Plus the low end torque of a diesel would work nicely on the trail.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
I've got an '04 Jetta TDI 5spd, love it. Its got 132k miles, I average 47mpg on my daily commute to newark.

Check out TDIclub.com for a lot of good info.

BiknBen

Just to piss on this fire...I had a '02 Golf TDI and hated it. I was already a passionate Dub owner and this car just killed it for me. I went through two turbos at 48k and 70k miles. The auto-tranny blew at 100k. I fixed the tranny and drove it right to the dealer to trade. The only good thing about it was the awesome trade-in value. :rolleyes:

I highly recommend adding a hitch and putting the bikes on the back. As mentioned, the gas mileage won't take a hit.

Ian F

'03 TDI wagon owner here. Purchased new (5/03) and just passed 228K a few days ago. All maintenence by yours truely.

A few critical points about owning a TDI.

1. Oil is CRITICAL to the longevity of these engines. You MUST use the correct VAG-rated oil, no "if" "ands" or "buts."

2. Almost as important is coolant. ONLY VW coolant and distilled water. NEVER put green crap in your engine. EVER.

3. www.tdiclub.com is now the second most important website on the web for you. ;)

4. Finding a good service/repair shop is important. Trusting the dealer to work on the car isn't always safe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom