f@#%

alex_k

the new section of Canal has been castrated!!! Somebody removed all challenging logs and made it smooth and wide at some places....

it will be fun to ride this section for my 9 year old daughter but not for me anymore:mad:

Last edited:

alex_k

oh, on the canal side. i got confused cause the first post said 27.
yea, i noticed that yesterday too.. not all of them are gone, and some i think had to go, but i definitely think that the little step down in the beginning should have stayed as well as a few others. the wideness is uber lame-o too.

sorry, my bad... I'm so upset... This is Canal side.

Last edited:

sixseven

I was out there this morning and didnt see anything different. I looked at the pics in the TM thread but I dont recognize where that is. It was all fast and furious this morning.
Checked out the new obstacle, feels like it needs a bit more run in on the incline.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
last time I rode that section, there were may 10 logs, are there less now? I persoanlly took a few out, but that was when there was 28 logs in 1 mile....

JDog, any comments?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i didn't notice any changes from my last ride to this week... but i did notice a couple of the logs had been removed from when the trail was first put in.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
it will get better..

last time I rode that section, there were may 10 logs, are there less now? I persoanlly took a few out, but that was when there was 28 logs in 1 mile....

JDog, any comments?

I have not been over there in a bit. I have been logging pretty solid road bike time and watchin my waist line diminsh.. I have also been on my jump bike a bit more.

This section of trail never sits with me that well. It has so much potential but the flow sucks. I have never cut a trail in such a rush before.

Keep in mind that i was lead rough cutting this section with 50 people yeilding tools at my back. I rushed it and I have never fogiven myself.

In the fall I will reroute a lot of this to better use the terrain out there. The abrupt turns will be smoother for sure. Flow is good.

btw.. I am hosting an unnamed pro rider this week on a ride here. I can't wait to see his reaction as he has been all around the world riding. This is no Moab but I think we are doing a good job of making the best of the terrain we have to work with.

Wobbegong

Alex,

Are you saying that things are different since our ride last Wednesday? I havent been through the trails since then.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Yes, at least 4-5 logs disappeared and again they were the most challenging logs:(

log goblins!

actually... there was lots of fresh horse doody on the trail on sunday morning on the canal side... would the logs be big enough to be in the way of a horse?

alex_k

Actually I expected something like this... the new section had difficulty above average and none of those logs could be passed around so the park service made the tail easier removing the logs. I'd put them back and make alternative pass for all of them...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Actually I expected something like this... the new section had difficulty above average and none of those logs could be passed around so the park service made the tail easier removing the logs. I'd put them back and make alternative pass for all of them...

screw the logs, unless they add some serious technical challenge to trail, then they are just annoying and kill the flow of that trail. Trying to go fast through the twisty stuff is far more challenging than jap tapping 28 logs in a mile. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some log piles but as Jdog said, the flow of that trail is off and the logs just make it worse. Also, I know there are alot of beginners out there, but building alternatives for a pile of 3 logs seems alittle silly to me..an alt for a log ride is one thing, a log pile though :hmmm:

The Kalmyk

It sucks but we need really strong representation at town meetings....We cut the trail and someone else comes and touches it up to their specifications.....the canal side is ultimately ruled by walkers and horses....27 side next:(

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Alex,

Are you saying that things are different since our ride last Wednesday? I havent been through the trails since then.

J,

Yes, I was out there on Sunday morning and it looks like someone from the park made these mods. I say it had to be someone with the park because they had to have chainsaws and powered brush cutters to do the work that has been done over there. Some of the logs I personally wasn't a fan of, but I can see where people might be pissed about this. Seems kind of lame that they would do it without consulting.:getsome:

Tim

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
log goblins!

actually... there was lots of fresh horse doody on the trail on sunday morning on the canal side... would the logs be big enough to be in the way of a horse?

CS,

Sorry I didn't realize it was you until you were riding away Sunday morning. My brain is not used to being out that early :D. As you were leaving it finally clicked red Niner - that's CS! Next time I'll be a little more chatty.

Tim

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
CS,

Sorry I didn't realize it was you until you were riding away Sunday morning. My brain is not used to being out that early :D. As you were leaving it finally clicked red Niner - that's CS! Next time I'll be a little more chatty.

Tim

no worries! i understand about the early hour... that was actually late for me... i'm still on newborn hours...

---

i think the flow of the new section is good - logs and all... at least the version i rode on sunday. there are a couple twists that could be changed, but at the same time, its kinda the 'theme' of the trails throughout six mile... speed into the turns and see how fast you can rail 'em.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions