Expanding my Job Network

iman29

Haha so true.

Thanks buddy I took a seasonal driver job with UPS for now to pay some bills so we will see how it goes while I’m still interviewing.

That does mean no more mid week rides but gotta make some cash.

I do have a few leads so maybe things will change in the new year.

iman29

Passed the delivery truck road test yesterday.

Final exam tmw which entails writing several pages of driving rules and procedures down from memory. And then to make sure no one is cheating you have to recite them too.

Then if I pass I’m official starting next week.

#funemploynentisover

F9BA1B67-2CC2-42B7-A216-A87C8526EC3E.png

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Just be careful to not get stuck in the temp job. I also used to work in IT and took a job with USPS “temporarily” after getting laid off in a recession. Got busy working and lost track of time. Got stuck for way too long.

iman29

Just be careful to not get stuck in the temp job. I also used to work in IT and took a job with USPS “temporarily” after getting laid off in a recession. Got busy working and lost track of time. Got stuck for way too long.

Thanks. Yeah I hear ya. This is seasonal and ends in January when I am officially terminated. They could make me a FT offer to come on as perm after but i don’t plan to at all due to the pay scale.

Good news is I have other IT interviews already lined up and things are progressing but I don’t expect anything to become official until January anyway so this will get me over the hump a bit even if it means less ride time.

iman29

Final Update?!

So I realized I never updated this a little since I took that Holiday job at UPS. Boy that needs its own blog perhaps...

I could blog forever on whats taken place related to my job search from then, and how I worked 13 hour days 6 days a week trying to deliver 400 packages a day out of a rental box truck and could never finish, working for a guy who ran the place using bullying, harassment and intimidation to ALL the drivers, logging an average of 35,000 steps a day (yes really) and losing 7 lbs in 5.5 weeks - which i have since gained back +more because stress eating. I ended up quitting on Xmas eve because mentally and physically I could not take it any more, because they told me I could not leave until EVERYONE else was done.

Here's some pics of the highlights (or low lights depending on how you look at it)

Remember the one real snow storm we had in November. - this was me stuck against the curb 4" from some mailboxes. Lucky for me a private snow plow operator saw me and pulled me out with his Bro-dozer for free.

IMG_3736.jpg

After they had too many trucks go out of service they stuck me in a box rental truck for most of the time and then this is how the truck looked every morning. no shelves and just chaos of packages. There's supposed to be a numbering system to stack them in order that follows the package scanner device but in one of these trucks it only looks good until you go around the first turn then its a clusterF.

IMG_3780.jpg

I've been doing odd jobs for cash the last few weeks, including some home construction helper stuff and even painting (i was told I am pretty good at it).

So now the good news. After many weeks/months of job applications and rejections, yesterday I accepted an offer for a new job and my tentative start date is March 16th. Ironically, its back at the very same big Pharma company that laid me off back in April, but it's in a new area that is internalizing IT jobs that should never have been outsourced in the first place.

Its not the overall ideal situation with regards to compensation etc... and I won't have the luxury of working from home any more (maybe occasionally) but this is the right choice for me and my family so we don't end up in a worse financial situation than what could be coming up (2 kids headed to college in September!). And with a family of 5 i need medical benefits because healthcare in this country is so f**ked up (yet another topic covered elsewhere on this forum).

I really came on here to share the update but to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone that has proactively reached out to me on here to try and help me. I don't know most of you personally but I was glad I could share the situation to a welcoming community like this to get support during this difficult time.

I hope I can still ride as much or at least not get fat and unfit like I used to be, and still drop in here to see the shenanigans and maybe even ride with you on my MTB one day.

Thanks peeps!

qclabrat

Good luck with the new opportunity. I'm stuck in the same industry as you and hope to make it out in 10 more years having been here for 15 already. One at Rutgers now and the other in another 1.5 years. We have their school covered but like you said insurance is the main reason why I'm not shopping jobs as the sole bread winner at the moment. Told MrsQ, we should start planning our exit plan.

iman29

Good luck with the new opportunity. I'm stuck in the same industry as you and hope to make it out in 10 more years having been here for 15 already. One at Rutgers now and the other in another 1.5 years. We have their school covered but like you said insurance is the main reason why I'm not shopping jobs as the sole bread winner at the moment. Told MrsQ, we should start planning our exit plan.

Thanks very much @qclabrat . I been doing this a bit longer (almost 28 years) and I had a reality check on how relevant i was (or was not) for the first time in my career. I will hopefully correct some of this with my new job and get myself some proper training and updated certifications. We are also mostly a one income household (she substitute teaches part time) so I have to reset our plans since this was a bit of a setback period. Never too soon to prepare your backup plan I have some good ideas now outside of IT stuff that I wish i had set in motion a few years ago when I was working at my job by flying under the radar as much as possible.

I have son #3 that is only in 7th grade but he will need a car and college and all that too so basically I will now be working until I am about 197 years old before i can retire.

But I will NEVER sell my bikes ;-)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck at Allergan! Or Novartis! Or J&J! Or outside shot, BMS!

Did I get it with 1 of those?

qclabrat

Don't forget GSK and of course Merck. And hundreds of smaller research based firms. I recently met someone who left one of the bigs to join one of these smaller companies. They gave him a 7 figure signing bonus so was hard to pass up.

iman29

Don't forget GSK and of course Merck. And hundreds of smaller research based firms. I recently met someone who left one of the bigs to join one of these smaller companies. They gave him a 7 figure signing bonus so was hard to pass up.
Yeah no one offered me that tho. ??‍♂️

Top Bottom