EWS Adventure 2022

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pro stage on sat- I don’t think I recapped, so here it is: I made it through the top section of upper jbar really well. Caught the girl in front of me and made a pass on a dicey spot, but eeeked past without wrecking. Got through all the gnar and thought, sweet, smooth sailing from here on out and immediately caught my toe on something I didn’t see and went down hard. Not injured but Broke my front brake lever so that it was not working at all, my back brake was bent way out of position, and jankt my bars - so had to straighten that out and messily ride out the rest of the stage- like really messy - caught a tree in front the spectators, so that’ll be fun to see in the meat report.

The crew at the SRAM tent fixed my brakes and replaced a lever for Sunday.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stages 2-5 went awesome- really happy w my efforts- had a good time, good mental state, put down sprints where I could and had some decent stage results. I caught the girl ahead of me on stages 2 & 5- quick pass on 2, but had to patiently wait for a good spot to pass on 5. Cooked myself pretty hard to try and keep ahead of her at the bottom of 5 (camptown). The toll road climb was pretty miserable - but heading up for the last climb my legs started cramping. Alternating a few steps walking w pedalling seemed To sort out the cramping, but I was pretty fatigued going into the last stage. Totally had a negative mindset heading down 6, and my riding reflected it- I cracked physically and mentally and went into survival mode. I did get down the stage safely, and faster than the previous day, 2 goals I had, but not happy w that run.

Overall though, I’m really happy with the progress and looking forward to one more big race effort at sugarloaf next week.

The crowds along the stages were freaking awesome- so much fun to ride through- and having teammates around to help during the day was amazing.

I also have to note how awesome the womens master class is- so supportive and encouraging and always making each other laugh- which is a feat after the misery of 6665ft of climbing in 21miles.

5B90E473-DF24-4722-8A8C-A683342D4183.jpeg

E3ADBFAD-80A0-4B73-802F-C8062AFB4C66.jpeg

Post race celebratory beers

E666C473-ADC5-4ACC-8DC5-3F5D48D6AEE2.jpeg

For some random reason I got a nosebleed at the halfway point water station up to stage 5:

3B4EF02F-28B0-4B43-8877-2A224FA85BDE.jpeg

34505CD6-92F6-4456-AFE1-F61A2A0A64FB.jpeg

qclabrat

Solid weekend everyone, and I can't wait to see what Mia does in Open in a few years.

What's the difference between Pro and the 100 class? I read something about different rules but was not clear. Also are men's and women's courses identical?

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Solid weekend everyone, and I can't wait to see what Mia does in Open in a few years.

What's the difference between Pro and the 100 class? I read something about different rules but was not clear. Also are men's and women's courses identical?
Mens and womens courses are identical. The ews 100 did 5 stages, while the EWS Pro (referred to as EWS) raced 6 stages (so for this race, that was an extra toll road climb and run down upper jbar). You also have to qualify for the EWS. No qualifying requirements for the EWS 100.

The ews 100 has an overall time cutoff- but stage starts are rolling- drop in any order- while the EWS has a specific start time for every racer on every stage. The liaison (transfer) times for ews are very strict and don’t have a lot of wiggle room.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Is someone using a chain saw?!?
New heckling/cheering device introduced into the mtb world a few years ago: revving a chainsaw but with the chain and/or bar removed for safety. Seems like an even dumber idea with gas prices now. Other tools include banging old/broken bike parts together like rims, handlebars and frames.

serviceguy

New heckling/cheering device introduced into the mtb world a few years ago: revving a chainsaw but with the chain and/or bar removed for safety. Seems like an even dumber idea with gas prices now. Other tools include banging old/broken bike parts together like rims, handlebars and frames.
While I do get the social reference to a MTB beloved hero, I've always thought it was a very stupid thing to do, especially given the smoke, smell and dirty chain oil associated with the (improper) use of a chainsaw. Has anybody thought of selling a device playing the recorded sound of a revving chainsaw in a loop? Maybe in a package similar to those air horn cans?

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
*reintroduced. Anyone around MASS/Philly scene knows Chainsaw Don from back in the day. I love it at adult audience races, not so much at NICA races

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
*reintroduced. Anyone around MASS/Philly scene knows Chainsaw Don from back in the day. I love it at adult audience races, not so much at NICA races
Maybe battery saw for nica races?

Pretty sure over here in Pennsyltucky we had some chainsaw heckles at NICA races. Goes well with the kids banging antlers together

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe battery saw for nica races?

Pretty sure over here in Pennsyltucky we had some chainsaw heckles at NICA races. Goes well with the kids banging antlers together
I figured the kids over there would just be shooting their AR-15s into the air :)

Sorry but I can't help it...how did that exchange go? Richie: "Sorry, I don't mean to be Rude but I really can't help it...can I get a picture with you Mia?"
SADLY, I didnt see this happen....I will interview @Meatball Mia's older sister next time I see her and get the skinny.

Top Bottom