Everesting locations

FrankV

I’m considering everesting on an aero bike (why not), but the two good hills near me suck. Those happen to be Schooleys and Naughright. Can anyone give a recommendation of a good hill in north/central jersey?

Last edited:

goldsbar

Good chance you'll die given enough descents on either of those. Naughright via a car pulling out and Schooleys by blowing the switchbacks.

Schoolhouse Rd on the border of Mendham, Morristown and Randolph would be nice. Very quiet and the descent is fast, but mostly brainless.

Read around. People Everest on all sorts of hills, including bridges. Sounds horrible either way:rolleyes:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I’m considering g everesting in an aero bike (why not), but the two good hills near me suck. Those happen to be Schooleys and Naughright. Can anyone give a recommendation of a good hill in north/central jersey?
Phil Gaimon had a video about selection with 7-8% grade and straight as possible to make the descent fast. Wismer on the PA side meets the straightness mark but May be too steep. Federal Twist similar, maybe just alittle too steep. Maybe Tumble Falls?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I did it on a more gradual hill because I'm better at putting in distance over actually climbing.

I did almost all of my training on a 15% 500 foot .4 mile climb. It would only take 94 miles to Everest that but I can only imagine the grade taking it's toll pretty early on.

Greenville Turnpike off Rt23 I think is the perfect length and grade.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Another consideration is having a spot to set up a little Pit Area in the Segment because you can't go too far off course once you start.

FrankV

Another consideration is having a spot to set up a little Pit Area in the Segment because you can't go too far off course once you start.
Definitely something to consider. I’ll have my dad in his truck with tools, and I’ll use him as a service vehicle.

jackx

I think Schooleys and Naughright are too steep for repeated ascents - like 60 times. Personally, I would want something less steep.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whiteface Mountain like 10 times would do it, no? Pretty steady 8% grade for 8 miles, gain of 3400-ish feet.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Closest and safest
Flatbrook to top of millbrook
Basically Delaware river basin to top of the AT. Millbrook village for pit. Brutal pitches but hey YOLO...

Cassinonorth

Only issue I see with this is the distance. I would have to ride ~245 miles to Everest, and that’s definitely to much. Wouldn’t want to do more than 150

Closer to 210, but still probably too much for your liking. 3.5 miles/960 feet gain should be about 30 trips.

Top Bottom