Ethan Allen furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyPete

I know it's a long shot, but you never know. My mother in law is going into an apartment and doesn't want a garage sale. So I am posting her Ethan Allen wall unit and other items. They are probably from the 60's and in great condition. She is a fanatic about taking care of things.
Ethan Allen Vintage Georgian Court 3 Piece Cabinet Set for free - FREE but know other family members are posting elsewhere, so claim and pickup needs to be fast.
Center cabinet has open shelves with 3 drawers. Side cabinets have glass doors with shelves and closed cabinet doors beneath. Each section is 34 in wide, 79 in high and 16 in deep.
This item comes from a non-smoking home and is in excellent / like new condition. The cabinets are sold as a set and must be picked up in Franklin Lakes, NJ. No shipping available. They weigh a ton. You will need a truck or van and some help.
VJeU8GHqTwzTfzQ-hwGQXtRs26dJGzbb8hqqvWH8Qe-Ryk048MbjkyJopR7s_9GhhmYHVgaKiGh5p0NwnDwk9DdqW8LX-oYGM4WHoYANg-K9gq1dH54TV-MRA9Z16OJwPoXmWMr4=s1600
GFwxQk69NOwSFQ8qQKs54LX3uw5qYhFBb0sLbK4uH9bhhC-MeHDRXXWYlY5Xvs49pg4mXLrYi3RYikV6lB6t7OatZJjjNBB0guY6tQjG1JZR9pad4KUO66fKTc_6uxnRDKB2AHem=s1600

Last edited:

JerseyPete

@Victor I , you are right. I was helping my friend clean out his dad's house after he passed away. Some of the furniture was beat up, but we had a hard time breaking it apart. Slamming against the sidewalk and it was still together. It really was built to last from that time period. Kind of like cars. My 68 Chevy had HUGE thick and wide steel bumpers. My friends and I would "tap" each others cars at stop lights without worrying about doing damage. Try that today and see what happens.

Bisquick

@Victor I , you are right. I was helping my friend clean out his dad's house after he passed away. Some of the furniture was beat up, but we had a hard time breaking it apart. Slamming against the sidewalk and it was still together. It really was built to last from that time period. Kind of like cars. My 68 Chevy had HUGE thick and wide steel bumpers. My friends and I would "tap" each others cars at stop lights without worrying about doing damage. Try that today and see what happens.

Not saying thick steel bumpers are not convenient for stuff like that and small dings, but cars deform easily for very good reason now.

JerseyPete

No doubt, the cars are way better at protecting those inside with crumple zones. My friend and I talked about even household phones were heavy and sturdy. You could probably bludgeon someone with an old phone. Not any more.

rick81721

Lothar
I know it's a long shot, but you never know. My mother in law is going into an apartment and doesn't want a garage sale. So I am posting her Ethan Allen wall unit and other items. They are probably from the 60's and in great condition. She is a fanatic about taking care of things.
Ethan Allen Vintage Georgian Court 3 Piece Cabinet Set for Sale - $400
Center cabinet has open shelves with 3 drawers. Side cabinets have glass doors with shelves and closed cabinet doors beneath. Each section is 34 in wide, 79 in high and 16 in deep.
This item comes from a non-smoking home and is in excellent / like new condition. The cabinets are sold as a set and must be picked up in Franklin Lakes, NJ. No shipping available.
VJeU8GHqTwzTfzQ-hwGQXtRs26dJGzbb8hqqvWH8Qe-Ryk048MbjkyJopR7s_9GhhmYHVgaKiGh5p0NwnDwk9DdqW8LX-oYGM4WHoYANg-K9gq1dH54TV-MRA9Z16OJwPoXmWMr4=s1600
GFwxQk69NOwSFQ8qQKs54LX3uw5qYhFBb0sLbK4uH9bhhC-MeHDRXXWYlY5Xvs49pg4mXLrYi3RYikV6lB6t7OatZJjjNBB0guY6tQjG1JZR9pad4KUO66fKTc_6uxnRDKB2AHem=s1600

And some other items. I think these are from the 60's as well.
Huffman Koos Round Cherry Wood Coffee Table for Sale - $100
Antique cherry wood coffee table. 38 in round, 17 in high.
This item comes from a non-smoking home and is in excellent / like new condition. Must be picked up in Franklin Lakes, NJ. No shipping available.
GAPFoJX21Ym-h8BgoVgppJL8C2mjxbjbvMGCEcO4GNydz5EWE61VPeVyYbr2U3CTlCXCBCZTzb1-mOWQdFRJLMzsngZL47I0hRmeOSZqD_DBtXltRnYhWjzK3BoOhTZrqKPFyl38=s1600

Huffman Koos Cherry Wood End Tables for Sale - $100 for set of 2
Antique cherry wood end tables (set of 2). 20 in wide, 26 in deep, 22 ½ in high.
These items come from a non-smoking home and are in excellent / like new condition. Must be picked up in Franklin Lakes, NJ. No shipping available.
rTH8yRP-HW49Au0tw4gu8JrKrf8EAj7qARXn82p-vnMBFEhDE6JyoSZ6UZabgY3MnEf8rpjumHq5uXHwm7LH7uNKBu-J0m4GEUDTtiJ8MzJMFdax6A1ySGAbzToy7gTrwD6cLmNR=s1600

Good luck but it's very hard to get rid of furniture like that. When we downsized 2 years ago we had similar, well made furniture (including a huge mahogany dining room table with custom glass to protect the top). Basically gave it away via Offer up - I think we got 200 clams for everything.

JerseyPete

Good luck but it's very hard to get rid of furniture like that. When we downsized 2 years ago we had similar, well made furniture (including a huge mahogany dining room table with custom glass to protect the top). Basically gave it away via Offer up - I think we got 200 clams for everything.
Thanks. I remember and was surprised that no one was grabbing your stuff. And that was pre-covid when things were good. I doubt this will go, but had to give an effort.
You pay for quality and it does last a while (50 years in her case), but if you want to replace it you have to think about the quality of furniture today.
What brands are still quality these days?

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Not saying thick steel bumpers are not convenient for stuff like that and small dings, but cars deform easily for very good reason now.

What Pete said as to modern cars as they definitely are safer. I believe the 59 Chevy in that video had the engine removed. Then again that would mean that the crash test dummy would have been wearing the engine in its lap.

JerseyPete

Some items are gone and others are reduced pricing. No fire...yet. May reduce to 5 clams and fire eventually.

the schwartz

So what all is there? I only see one big furniture, and then a lot of talk about murder cars and rotary phones. What can we burn?

JerseyPete

So what all is there? I only see one big furniture, and then a lot of talk about murder cars and rotary phones. What can we burn?
The wall unit is left for now. There may an urn that my mother in law asked if I wanted. She couldn't recall who was in it. I was only a little creeped out by that. It would probably look nice on someone's mantle or dashboard or handlebars.

the schwartz

That's super common I think.

I mean to have an urn but you're not sure whose ashes they are.

Sorry if that was obvious.

I just got this back from the shop today
1101211459_HDR.jpg
could you ask your ma if there's a recommended mounting point or if it's at my discretion? Is it patterned or solid?

Thanks!

the schwartz

Did you get new tires spooned on it? And what is that red bike behind it??
1101211459a_HDR.jpg1101211459b_HDR.jpg

Yes, tires and some medium long list of minor repairs. I found a great mechanic locally!!! Been looking for that forever he's like 15 minutes from my home.
I'm trying the Tusk dual sport tires. They call them dual sport but they are pretty badass with a strong dirt bias clearly.

Red bike is Suzuki, an 83 GS850G

1003211037_HDR.jpg

JerseyPete

One of my high school friends had that same bike in black. Sold it about 15 years ago. Lasted a lot longer than other guys that had bikes. I also had two friends, one with a KZ650 and another with a KZ1000. Back in late 70's and early 80's, they were great bikes, then the GPZ's starting coming out.

thegock

Bought ($000's) the almost same (swap one glass front for another shelf) set from Ethan Allen in the 1990's. Still going strong today. Outstanding construction and great for a library display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom