Ergon Grips

bozizle

I switched to Ergon this spring and have never been happier. I am a big guy with bigger hands and for the first time I don't get as many blisters after long rides or rubbing on the sides of my hands. They do not offer as much padding as most but help me hold the bar better and feel very comfortable.
I have a few friends running the female version for hand size and have had lots of positive feedback from everyone who has tried them that I ride with.
The one gripe I would have is the weight as they are much heavier than a typical rubber grip.
Anyone else using them?

idbrian

Crotch Rot
i use the womens and i wear a men's large glove.

they are nice and i no longer get pain in my inner palm.

xc6801

I use the Ergon grips too, with the shorter bar ends. There are a little heavy for grips but I like them. I was reading somewhere that they are coming out with a lighter version this fall so keep your eyes peeled. This set will address the weight issue with the other grips.

walter

Fourth Party
I use both kinds, regulars on the geary, bar ends on Ms. Mary. I hear reports, dont know how or when, of a possible Ergon hydration bag and maybe some gloves, too.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes both are being used "in the field" right now. I know a guy who has the gloves and loves them.

ArmyOfNone

I would love to have me a set of team ergons on my rig. They will change your view on grips. I have only heard of one person not liking them, and I dont think they really gave them a fair shake. O well their loss.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Walter - excellent!

Fred - the people who don't like them tend to have smaller hands. A lot of guys in that situation get the women's which are slightly smaller.

bozizle

Pack and Gloves

I met Jeff the NAM rep at Pedros and picked up 2 pairs of gloves and my wife got a pair of the womens gloves. They are very nice but for an XL they are a bit small in the middle finger. Overall a much tighter fit with venting on the sides of the fingers.

I also picked up a pack BD1 (the smaller version) which is still HUGE...nice fitting but really too much unless you are doing a self supported endurance race or epic all day ride. Great for day hikes and super comfy with tons of adjustments and pockets for everything...even has a water proof cover that is tucked in the bottom of the pack.

Last edited:

dirty bert

Banned
i'd like to try them but i'd have to buy 2 different pairs. i run gripshift on the left and a trigger on the right. i gues i'm SOL.

~Db

ArmyOfNone

Walter - excellent!

Fred - the people who don't like them tend to have smaller hands. A lot of guys in that situation get the women's which are slightly smaller.

Never thought of that. But if i run into anyone with such a problem i will be sure to suggest that. Really i cant see how you could not like these things.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I don't even have smaller hands i like the womens. i haven't tried the mens to know whether they are any better. but most of the reviews on mtbr recommended the smaller womens.

bozizle

'08

When their new models come out that were cancelled for '07 due to major issue with fitting Easton bars as well as some other companies the mens will be slimmer and a bit lighter as well.

Glancing Aft

glad I read this post, I was very close to getting easton monkey light handlebars with ergon grips, guess I'll wait till the 08s come out.

bozizle

yes

For the record the models they have in the states now ARE compatable with Easton I have them on 3 bars now. The 08 which should have been 07 models were recalled because of issues and will not be around until early next year....they are a different design.

Glancing Aft

So last night I took my first ride with Ergon grips, while I can't fully endorse them yet, they did live up to my expectations in many ways. I rode for about an hour in ringwood on terrain that would normally make my hands go close to completely numb. It's a problem I've been having for years, and no matter what grips and break/shifter lever angles I setup my bars with I never seem to solve it. At one point I did feel a slight numbness in my right hand, but it very shortly went away, something that would never happen normally. So the excelled with what they were supposed to do.

As for riding with them, the learning curve was quicker than I thought it would be. I had no issues on climbs or on cruising trails. I think I actually prefer them in rock gardens, they offered a large stable platform for me to balance with. The only place I ran into some problems was on fast downhills, they just felt a little awkward, but I'm sure this is something that will come with time. Also with popping while going off of jump they felt a little off, again I feel like this will come with time.

Top Bottom