Ergon BD2 Hydration pack

walter

Fourth Party
I recently retired my 7 y/o Camelbak MULE in favor of a just released Ergon bag. The BD2 is the larger of the two Ergon bags available, allowing for a 100oz bladder and 15L of cargo space. As a reference, the Mule is only 9L and the Camelbak Hawg is a little over 13L, so this bag has tons of room.

The pack consists of two parts, the bag and lower frame section, and the shoulder harness. The bag itself opens in the front from top to bottom, exposing a huge area inside that has two deep nylon pockets, one zip up compartment for keys, a large pocket to hold a water bladder as well as a large compression strap. On the outside of the bag there are two more mesh pockets and one more zip up pocket. All this plus another compression strap and a tuck away rain cover.

On the bottom of the bag is a heavy duty plastic "skeleton" which wraps around your waist securing the bag. The shoulder harness attaches to the top of the bag via a swiveling joint that A) allows a small space so the bag isn't resting on your back, and B) allows the bag to move with your body. The shoulder harness is also adjustable as to where you attach it to the bag, allowing a bit more of a custom fit.

I have logged some miles with my new bag and I have to say I am really happy with it. As with all Ergon products, its designed for the good of your body. This bag sits a little lower on your back and with the "Skeleton" the weight of the bag is evenly distributed, creating a bit more comfort. On the trails you almost forget the bag is there and as you whip through the woods it stays right where it should. No shifting to the left or right in turns and no sliding up your back on the descents.

One complaint I have is that since it sits a little lower on my back than my old bag, the tube from my bladder doesn't come out as far as it used to, which is really no big deal. Another drawback is the price. Its quite pricey and doesn't include a bladder. However, it is extremely well made and so far seems to perform much better than my old bag.

Here's a link for a little more info, check it out

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...sories/2008-ergon-bd2-m-pack-4646.1979.0.html

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool, thanks for the review.

Can you pass the tube under your arm?

Shaggz

A strong 7
One of the complaints with hydration packs is that body heat gets trapped between you and the bag. I know it's fall, but does this feel the same, warmer or cooler than your camel back?

walter

Fourth Party
Can you pass the tube under your arm?

I don't think so. The tube comes out of the bag directly at the back of your neck. Both the left and right sides of the shoulder harness have velcro straps to guide the hose to your preferred side.

walter

Fourth Party
One of the complaints with hydration packs is that body heat gets trapped between you and the bag. I know it's fall, but does this feel the same, warmer or cooler than your camel back?

The way is designed, it actually sits a hair off your back so you get a bit of airflow. I think the link I provided says that 90% of the bag does not touch your back.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I too have a BD2 and have a couple of rides with it.

The pack has three adjustments to change the distance from the shoulder straps to the hip straps. It is *critical* to make sure this is set right for you. Get it too short and it puts a lot of pressure on your lower back. I tried it in the "small" position for the first ride and ended up not feeling too great after the ride; lower/side back was sore and I had my shoulders too "scrunched". I then set it on the "middle" adjustment and the pack almost "disappeared" on my back. Statically, the "small" adjustment seemed right...but nope.

The pack is supposed to sit on your hips and as such feels unnaturally low on the back at first. Then as you start to ride, like I said, the thing just vanishes.

I have two bulging, herniated, and compressed disks (right next to each other), and when I got the thing setup right, my back felt just as good when I got off the bike as when I don't have a pack on at all. I don't have a lot of rides on it yet, nor have I loaded the thing down...so the acid test has yet to occur.

It is a well made pack. My only complaint is I wish it were a little more compartmentalized, like the MULE for instance. It is essentially a "big" space with some internal/external zippered pockets. Which, for winter time, might be better to carry extra clothing now that I think about it.

Generally, I'm not a pack fan, but I like this one so far. I usually only ride with a pack when it is cold out (more parts, tools, and emergency stuff if something goes wrong), or I'm going for a *long* or very *remote* ride. Otherwise I prefer the saddle bag and water bottle...old school.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
Interesting comments about the shrugged shoulders. It was pointed out to me that my shoulders are very tense (shrugged) when I ride. I have been making a conscious effort to relax them, but Dave/Engignar suggested that it might be a result of carrying the Camel Back.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Interesting comments about the shrugged shoulders. It was pointed out to me that my shoulders are very tense (shrugged) when I ride. I have been making a conscious effort to relax them, but Dave/Engignar suggested that it might be a result of carrying the Camel Back.

I think the shrugging from the pack being too high is what was at the root of my headache on our last night ride...

walter

Fourth Party
I agree with Tim on the shoulder adjustment. The first ride out I rode it as it came, then after reading some more of the booklet I adjusted it accordingly. Now its pretty damn sweet.

A few more compartments would be nice, but I got it pretty well set up now. I like it.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Oh, another cool thing...there is a secret compartment in the bottom that has a rain cover stowed in it

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i really love the design aspects of the ergon packs, but dont jnow if i could justify the pricetag.

To me justifying the cost of bike stuff is like a crack whore trying to justify the cost of crack; I try, but my disease usually wins :(

I'll probably get to a point where all I do is buy expensive bike stuff and never ride...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
dude, I already mentioned that:rolleyes:

Sorry, I guess I still have my "walter filter" on...ya' know...

Single Speed, blah, blah, blah, 29er, blah, blah, blah, 26 FS will collect dust, blah, blah, blah, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile...blah, blah, blah, blah, Luke, I'm your father...blah, blah, blah...

'Thought I'd turned that off...sorry :D

The Kalmyk

Great info in this thread...Expensive indeed but the reviews make it easier to part with that kinda of cash for a pack

walter

Fourth Party
Spence, a week or two ago I was at Lewis Morris following the yellow loop. I was ripping down the trail right before it spits you back out onto Patriots Path, and like Fogerson said, the bag just disappears. It didn't even feel like it was there.

The compartment thing is no real issue, I was just set in my ways with my Camelbak as to where everything went.

Top Bottom