Entry level MTB

C

Cthulhu

Hello Ladies,

I'm looking to pick up a bike for one of my friends. It would be her first MTB and I'm not sure how often she'll be getting out there. Basically I'm looking for a decent entry-level bike that isn't too expensive. This way if it doesn't take off we won't cringe everytime we see it in passing. ;)

I think I'm going to stop into Town Cycles and see if there is anything she can demo and gauge how much she enjoy's it on the first time out. I'd give her mine to ride but at 5'4 it would be too big for her.

But for now any suggestions?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
You can either look on this forum or mtbr.com in the classifieds section. I picked up a $2100 bike for $1350 and it was only ridden 3 times and only a year old. You can even try eBay.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Craigslist

I bought and sold a few bikes on Craigslist, seems like there are always good deals if you look hard enough.

ellenserruto

I should offer to sell my Rush but I'm feeling sentimental. . I would reccomend your local bike shop since beginners have lots of questions & mechanical trouble (in my case as a result of crashing). If I didn't have the support of my shop where I bought my first bike, I never would have made it over the hump.

F

FallGirl1430

Hello Ladies,

I'm looking to pick up a bike for one of my friends. It would be her first MTB and I'm not sure how often she'll be getting out there. Basically I'm looking for a decent entry-level bike that isn't too expensive. This way if it doesn't take off we won't cringe everytime we see it in passing. ;)

I think I'm going to stop into Town Cycles and see if there is anything she can demo and gauge how much she enjoy's it on the first time out. I'd give her mine to ride but at 5'4 it would be too big for her.

But for now any suggestions?

Test ride a bike at your local bike shop, pay close attention to fit. At MTBNJ try posting the size she is looking for in the "classifieds", ya never know who may have a bike laying around and would part with quite cheap. Be careful on eBay, you can find good inexpensive bikes there, might be a good idea to pay for insurance too. Some shops have what they call * Specialized test ride's* which you can purchase too,
Good luck and happy shopping

Fallgirl ... :)

Top Bottom