Energy Supplement?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
What are you all using during longer rides? I did almost 6hrs today and didnt supplement well enough during the ride. Learned a lot about bonk and to never take my 5 dolla stash off the bike. I actually considered puylling over and eating grass. :D

Awesome weather and ride, besides the bonkage. I was glad to have my road bike back up and running. Thx Halters omagawd. Rocked the mtbnj jersey too, I got honked at 54% less than when I wear lime green.

ArmyOfNone

If I am doing 3+ hour rides I like to pack a pbj sandwich. It fits well in your jersey pocket. At that point i need to have real food. I also carry an assortment of gels, shot blocks and bars. If you can put pbj on a bagel, you are set. Yum.

You will have to figure out what works for ya. Play around with stuff. Gels alone will not do it tho.

Good riding!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
If I am doing 3+ hour rides I like to pack a pbj sandwich. It fits well in your jersey pocket....

....Gels alone will not do it tho.

Good riding!

I would have kicked myself in the junk for a pb&j today. Gel definatelty didnt cut it though.

I also went north while the wind was out of the north, then south along the beach after is turned around out of the south. The stretch from Atlantic Highlands to Spring Lake, with the wind and bonk, may have been the most miserable I have ever been on a bike.

ArmyOfNone

Gah! The wind is the worst. I have had many of day where the wind has just ripped me to shreds.

Oh! Throw some honey on there too. Man you will have a slammin snack going.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
The wind was brutal today.
In a place where I usually hit 40mph+ it actually pushed me back from 28 to 25 MPH even while I was tucked and riding downhill.

Oh yeah, topic...
I can't tolerate solids on extended rides.
This is a fact re-tested and re-proven on Sunday with a smidgen of a banana and the supportive help of a guardrail. :puke:

Rather, I use a secret homemade gel that fuels me for hours and hours and hours and apparently has an anti-bonking agent that seems to make me stronger even while I'm riding.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What are you all using during longer rides? I did almost 6hrs today and didnt supplement well enough during the ride. Learned a lot about bonk and to never take my 5 dolla stash off the bike. I actually considered puylling over and eating grass. :D

Awesome weather and ride, besides the bonkage. I was glad to have my road bike back up and running. Thx Halters omagawd. Rocked the mtbnj jersey too, I got honked at 54% less than when I wear lime green.

After 6 hours, nothing works for me. So I can't say I've ever figured it out. Balancing food/water is damn hard at that point. I sweat a lot so salt plays a huge role. I've had good results at times with Hammer's Perpetuem. I've also had mediocre results at times with it.

I read a guy who said avocado on plain white bread. No condiments. It sounds really good. PB is going to digest *really* slowly so it's not ideal. But if it works for you, cool.

Still, any 6 hour ride leads me to get off my bike and mumble, "must...find...mountain...of...food...salty food...eat...good" and so on.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I like an almond butter sandwich with honey. Just stuff it in my pocket. In warm weather, I may also take a bottle of powerbar endurance drink. If it is more than 70 miles. I may stop to re-fuel (buy food, etc).

Nimrod

Last year at the VT 50 I started using the Hammer Perpetium (SP). That stuff really works.

Normally after 3 hrs (or more) of riding, my main mission in life becomes decimating the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets (of all their respective contents) with great malice. Does not happen with the Perpetium.

Note = for the maximum Perpetium effect (at the VT 50) be sure to pack a $20 bill in your Camelbak. Cheap (like $1 or $2) Beer at the finish line, on an empty stomach, after 6 hrs of riding = best $20 you'll ever spend in September!

Top Bottom