energy gel

VanDbtRiver

I use them, depend on them, wash them down with beer on ocassion, leave them in my jersey pockets and run them through the washer from time to time. Out of all of them I have found that power gel works for me. What do y'all like when you feel the cramps settin' in?

The Rose

I roll with the hammer gel. I buy the large squeeze bottles and use the reusable "flask" . Its more economical and less waste than the packs.

BiknBen

I roll with the hammer gel...Its more economical and less waste than the packs.

I agree. The bulk and flask combo is a good deal if you find yourself consuming lots of gel. I also find that hammer has better tasting flavors. Just be careful with Hammer. While the gel is a deal, the other stuff can suck your wallet dry.

I also like the Gu gels. The taste and consistency is very palatable.

The Rose

Yeah, I only use the gel, nothing else. I find that the stuff lasts a long time in the fridge so it works out well. Also whatever you dont use during the ride goes right back in the bottle at home.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I generally don't use them unless I'm on the bike for more than three hours.
Otherwise, I like hammer gels or my own concoction. Honestly, I've never even tried the other gels... reading the ingredients was enough to freak me out.

Hammer is good for me for 3-5 hr rides. If I expect to be out beyond that, or if I'm doing a century or other marathon event, I'll fuel on my own highly nutritious energy mix that includes protein and tastes too good to be healthy. I don't tolerate solids well on endurance rides and that formula is the key to my happiness the morning(and days) after.

Speaking of the Hammer "others" what is your experience with their Endurolites?

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am all about the Enervit stuff. It is pricey but it works.

I also like the Acellerade version.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I am all about the Enervit stuff. It is pricey but it works.

I also like the Acellerade version.

How are the electrolyte tabs from Enervit? Chewable? Sweet?
I won't drink Gatorade or Powerade for sugar/colorings etc.
I've used nuun tabs but find they get too sweet on the second bottle even when alternating sips of water/electro solution.

BiknBen

Speaking of the Hammer "others" what is your experience with their Endurolites?

I've Enduolytes on occasion but noticed no change.

I've had very good results from Perpetuem, Sustained Energy, and Race Day Boost. I've used them for big events (like double centuries and greater) or MTB races. Perpetuem is similar to other drink mixes but is intended for slightly longer than normal events. Sustain Energy is for those days when you are riding 6+ hours. My body really responded to Race Day Boost. It's best known as a lactic acid buffer and water retainer. You take for a couple days leading up to a key event. I actualy saw my weight increase slightly due to the water retainage. On event day, I was able to ride at my max for much longer than normal with much less muscle fatigue.

BiknBen

How are the electrolyte tabs from Enervit? Chewable? Sweet?

I used these tab often. These have been a life saver for me on rides lasting 3+ hours at a high intensity. They seem to stop the muscle fatigue and reduce that cramping sensation.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Back in the day, I could never get into using drink mixes, but when GU came along I found that it really did seem to make a difference, and became a dedicated user.

In the meantime, I began using Endurox for recovery and that led to trying Accelerade in the bottle. Accelerade has been the best drink mix for me by far, so two years ago I made the logical switch to AccelGel and have also been pleased with the results.

My take on the gels is that there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between most of them- the most important "feature" is that you like the way it tastes and will therefore be dedicated to consuming it. My experience with on the bike nutrition is that the stuff needs to be going in long before I begin feeling like I need it- if my legs are feeling like crap, the chances are that it's too late to save them with 100 calories of cake frosting.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My take on the gels is that there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between most of them- the most important "feature" is that you like the way it tastes and will therefore be dedicated to consuming it. My experience with on the bike nutrition is that the stuff needs to be going in long before I begin feeling like I need it- if my legs are feeling like crap, the chances are that it's too late to save them with 100 calories of cake frosting.

Agree agree agree. In general I find that at this point anything less than 2 hours I only need water. I still take in calories because skipping calories hurts me the rest of the day, so calories help recovery. I usually put my calories in the bottle. I've tried a bunch of things at this point. I sporadically use Accelerade, Endurox, Perpetuem, and I mix in plain old maltodextrin cut in with any of the above for cost effectiveness. Sometimes water and a Clif bar.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I have always questioned how well the Accelerade stuff worked because the use high fructose corn syrup. From reading the posts, it looks like it works for some people. I always just discounted it as another Gatorade.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
HFCS is not necessarily* a bad thing. When your engine is going anything that converts rapidly can be** a good thing. I avoid it as much as I can when off the bike. Even when I do use Accelerade I almost always cut it with straight maltodextrin because it's too sweet.

* [insert caveat here]

** [insert second caveat here]

walter

Fourth Party
Even when I do use Accelerade I almost always cut it with straight maltodextrin because it's too sweet.

I ride with Accelerade in a bottle as well as water in my camelbak. I carry the Accelerade simply to add something more than bland water. I agree with Norm about the sweetness, If I don't mix it exactly as suggested or even more on the watery side, it upsets my stomach. Ask ArmyofFred, he watched as I dry heaved for a good bit at Allaire last winter. Norm gave me 2 flavors of Heed that I liked. The taste wasnt bad and it worked well with my stomach.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I have tried a bunch of gels and drinks, and most make me feel like barfing or give me stomach cramps when racing. Powerbar endurance drink has been the only one I can tolerate. It does not give off a burst like envervit, but offers a slow burn effect, mild taste and eliminates leg cramps all together for me.

I was thinking of giving the stinger honey gels a try. Anyone try them?

mwlikesbikes

I like GU gels. vanilla bean or orange burst, i just went through a 24 pack of vanilla power gels and realized i don't care for them as much as gu. for solids i use powerbars and clif bars mostly most other stuff tends to repeat on me.

ArmyOfNone

I ride with Accelerade in a bottle as well as water in my camelbak. I carry the Accelerade simply to add something more than bland water. I agree with Norm about the sweetness, If I don't mix it exactly as suggested or even more on the watery side, it upsets my stomach. Ask ArmyofFred, he watched as I dry heaved for a good bit at Allaire last winter. Norm gave me 2 flavors of Heed that I liked. The taste wasnt bad and it worked well with my stomach.

SO sad as i just sat there and rubbed his backing saying
"it will be over soon...there is no place like home"

Im a huge accelerade fan. I started out w/ water, then gatorade and now accelerade. I have noticed a considerable difference in how my body feels from each which led me to stick w/ the accelerade. I burn fuel like an angry fire so i probally take in a bit more than the average person on a bike. The accelgels are one of the best tasting as well.

If you dont mind spending the extra cash envervit has some super quality stuff as well. (nothing that has not been said already)

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I have tried a bunch of gels and drinks, and most make me feel like barfing or give me stomach cramps when racing. Powerbar endurance drink has been the only one I can tolerate. It does not give off a burst like envervit, but offers a slow burn effect, mild taste and eliminates leg cramps all together for me.

I was thinking of giving the stinger honey gels a try. Anyone try them?

I think you're better off without the "burst".
HFCS and similar high calorie zero nutritional value ingredients do light a spark, but I find they leave more garbage behind. They burn quick and fast and leave you(me) lower 'after' than before and there is more by-product left behind that adds to cramping. Even in a hot burning metabolic fire, I believe it's garbage in garbage out.

For events over 5hrs, I make my own gel with honey, molasses, unsweetened protein powder and pure cocoa powder for flavor. I am amazed at the lack of pain I've felt the day after a huge event using it. For me, it brings recovery time down to almost nil. I think the difference is the all natural, high nutritional value ingredients and the protein. For shorter events, I would opt for convenience(and wouldn't need the protein), but I'd never use any fuel with HFCS...
It just don't do me good.

I would certainly try the stinger honey gels... in fact, tell me who carries them retail.
I found them online and the ingredients pass my test.

Top Bottom