energy gel

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking of giving the stinger honey gels a try. Anyone try them?

I have tried them & wanted so bad to like them. I bought all the different flavors to test them out. Bad, really bad. I actually just threw out the last few as they expired. I'm a big fan of honey too, these just didn't work for me.

For events over 5hrs, I make my own gel with honey, molasses, unsweetened protein powder and pure cocoa powder for flavor. I am amazed at the lack of pain I've felt the day after a huge event using it. For me, it brings recovery time down to almost nil. I think the difference is the all natural, high nutritional value ingredients and the protein.

I'm going to try this, sounds good.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I'm going to try this, sounds good.[/QUOTE]

I got the original recipe from the active.com site and adapted and modified it for my needs. I use the honey to sweeten slightly and use a tablespoon or so of unsulphured blackstrap molasses for its high potassium levels. Unsweetened Soy or whey protein isolate adds the protein and gives it consistency and the nutritional value to cover a good portion of a marathon or race day's requirements. Add water to make it gel-able. And pure cocoa powder.

I get a gel with the flavor and consistency of brownie batter. Not overpowering and very subtly sweet. It has a huge yum factor.

Now I have to find a good electrolyte formula that isn't sweet... I've even been considering adding potassium and salt to the gel...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the heads up Kirt.

Cyclopath, do you use your homemade gel for exercise enhancement, or recovery after? I was wondering if it would work without the protein powder as a straight gel?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Thanks for the heads up Kirt.

Cyclopath, do you use your homemade gel for exercise enhancement, or recovery after? I was wondering if it would work without the protein powder as a straight gel?

You could certainly cut the protein and mix it as a gel. You'd end up with a high carb palatable goo that is fresher, less processed and much healthier than 99% of the pre-packed stuff. The Blackstrap Molasses even adds some potassium and real food value and honey is loaded with tons of microbial goodies. You'd also save yourself a heap of money... which, of course, you can send to me if you feel overburdened by it.:D

For myself, I run on more protein than carbs and can't tolerate solids on endurance rides so this is my food source for megga days in the saddle. With the powder, you can pack an entire day's USRDA into a single 5oz bottle of gel. (Try that with PBJ's and power bars!) I like it cause the protein going in while I'm still working significantly reduces recovery time for me and cuts the carbs to calorie% going in.

I find I don't need it once I'm off the bike since I'm very metabolically resistant with a slow burning furnace. If you're one of those lucky people who can down all kinds of carbs without adding weight, it might not be an issue for you.

Either way, it's a closer to pure foodsource than most pre-packs and one I don't think you can go wrong with.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Looks good.
How are the flavors?
Are they intense, moderate, light or barely there?
Which is your fav?

Anyone else try them?

I would say moderate. Just enough so you know you are not drinking water, but not too much like a gatorade. All of the flavors are good, the Strawberry Kiwi is a bit on the sweet side. The orange tastes just like tang, minus the tooth rot. My favorite is probably the raspberry. If you did not want to wait Whole foods carries it. (At least the one in Ridgewood does)

euphoria

I think you're better off without the "burst".
HFCS and similar high calorie zero nutritional value ingredients do light a spark, but I find they leave more garbage behind. They burn quick and fast and leave you(me) lower 'after' than before and there is more by-product left behind that adds to cramping. Even in a hot burning metabolic fire, I believe it's garbage in garbage out.

For events over 5hrs, I make my own gel with honey, molasses, unsweetened protein powder and pure cocoa powder for flavor. I am amazed at the lack of pain I've felt the day after a huge event using it. For me, it brings recovery time down to almost nil. I think the difference is the all natural, high nutritional value ingredients and the protein. For shorter events, I would opt for convenience(and wouldn't need the protein), but I'd never use any fuel with HFCS...
It just don't do me good.

I would certainly try the stinger honey gels... in fact, tell me who carries them retail.
I found them online and the ingredients pass my test.

New to the site but long time nj rider. Just wanted to give up my recipe here too. I also notice good post ride results as well as good energy during the ride too with some protien/amino acids thrown in there.

here is my mix: 1c raw honey. 1c brown rice syrup. 2tbsp molasses. 3-4tsp twinlab amino fuel liquid. shot or so of frozen juice concentrate of various flavors.

VanDbtRiver

New to the site but long time nj rider. Just wanted to give up my recipe here too. I also notice good post ride results as well as good energy during the ride too with some protien/amino acids thrown in there.

here is my mix: 1c raw honey. 1c brown rice syrup. 2tbsp molasses. 3-4tsp twinlab amino fuel liquid. shot or so of frozen juice concentrate of various flavors.

1c= 1cup?=8oz?

Spartacus

Seiously.................what Power Gels do?

I guess I am a firm believer in eating and keepin the tank satisfied. Gott fuel the Machine (I guess this is why some people eat a power bar of a sort during a ride)

For the most part I am Osmotic......But during rides I usually don't drink much if I hydrate well before a ride.

What does Power Gels do damnit !

Top Bottom