enduro, dual sport, dirt bikes... who's got em?

the schwartz

I want to ride. back in the game with a new-to-me 2011 690 Enduro R.

Who rides dirt? DRZ, KTM, Huskies, KLR, CRF, KX, whatevers.... , anybody on small to midsize maybe you trailer it maybe you ride there i don't care, but WHERE DO YOU GO OMG I HATE NEW JERSEY and also take me with you

who will play with me?

JDurk

I want to ride. back in the game with a new-to-me 2011 690 Enduro R.

Who rides dirt? DRZ, KTM, Huskies, KLR, CRF, KX, whatevers.... , anybody on small to midsize maybe you trailer it maybe you ride there i don't care, but WHERE DO YOU GO OMG I HATE NEW JERSEY and also take me with you

who will play with me?
I don't, but about 5 of my mtb race team members all recently got motos. They spend most of their time riding in Wharton, starting from the Atsion Ranger Station area.

the schwartz

I don't, but about 5 of my mtb race team members all recently got motos. They spend most of their time riding in Wharton, starting from the Atsion Ranger Station area.
i've been down to the Pines a fair bit, i guess that's the only go-to that's any reasonable distance.

i'd be down to meet up with your crew if they (like most of us, if i'm not mistaken,) also enjoy meeting strange men from the internet. 🤪

JonF

Sadly I just sold my 690 Enduro earlier this year; just wasn't riding much anymore. When i did, we used to put in big mileage down in the pines. 125 mile days were the norm when doing a lap through Byrne, Wharton, Pasadena, Chatsworth, etc. Some advise from a 690 owner to another, drop your gearing as even though the 690 has a close ratio tranny, first is a bit high and you'll be feathering a lot in first on singletrack. Contrast that to guys riding smaller, true enduros who'll be in 2nd or third gear on the same trail, you'll want some more low end. Dropping 1 tooth up front and several in the back for a 10-12% overall reduction is a huge advantage.

Also, not sure which tires came on your R, but if its an on/off tire, get some DOT knobbies like Pirelli Scorpion Pro's, XCMH or equivalent. On/off tires like MT21's or Karoo's are a traction nightmare, especially when the ground gets soft and churned up in the summer. Get some armor/protection on the bike. The 690 radiator is large and the sides are vulnerable and the KTM factory rad guard kit is worth it. Same goes for the underside, get a skid plate. Also, the factory muffler is super heavy and gets insanely hot.

At some point, throw on a better can (Leo Vince, Akrapovic), a foam uni filter and a reflash and the low end response will be vastly improved. The bike has a habit of sputtering or stalling when tractoring through slow areas in 1st.

The only trouble area was the fuel pump which was faulty from the factory in the earlier models. IF it hasn't been replaced with the revised part, do that asap. Sadly this was not a recall item.

The display can also experience an issue where "dust" forms from vibration causing plastic to abrade and cloud the gauges. This was a recall though i dont know which years were affected.

Otherwise the bike is pretty bulletproof. A tank bag is a good idea to carry the oem toolkit, a tube patch and C02 inflation kit, tire irons and a tow strap (for towing the Husky riders when they break down ;) ).

Reactions: don

the schwartz

Sadly I just sold my 690 Enduro earlier this year; just wasn't riding much anymore. When i did, we used to put in big mileage down in the pines. 125 mile days were the norm when doing a lap through Byrne, Wharton, Pasadena, Chatsworth, etc. Some advise from a 690 owner to another, drop your gearing as even though the 690 has a close ratio tranny, first is a bit high and you'll be feathering a lot in first on singletrack. Contrast that to guys riding smaller, true enduros who'll be in 2nd or third gear on the same trail, you'll want some more low end. Dropping 1 tooth up front and several in the back for a 10-12% overall reduction is a huge advantage.

Also, not sure which tires came on your R, but if its an on/off tire, get some DOT knobbies like Pirelli Scorpion Pro's, XCMH or equivalent. On/off tires like MT21's or Karoo's are a traction nightmare, especially when the ground gets soft and churned up in the summer. Get some armor/protection on the bike. The 690 radiator is large and the sides are vulnerable and the KTM factory rad guard kit is worth it. Same goes for the underside, get a skid plate. Also, the factory muffler is super heavy and gets insanely hot.

At some point, throw on a better can (Leo Vince, Akrapovic), a foam uni filter and a reflash and the low end response will be vastly improved. The bike has a habit of sputtering or stalling when tractoring through slow areas in 1st.

The only trouble area was the fuel pump which was faulty from the factory in the earlier models. IF it hasn't been replaced with the revised part, do that asap. Sadly this was not a recall item.

The display can also experience an issue where "dust" forms from vibration causing plastic to abrade and cloud the gauges. This was a recall though i dont know which years were affected.

Otherwise the bike is pretty bulletproof. A tank bag is a good idea to carry the oem toolkit, a tube patch and C02 inflation kit, tire irons and a tow strap (for towing the Husky riders when they break down ;) ).

appreciate the pointers. the bike is pretty well sorted! i'll post some pics later or next time i take it out (around the neighborhood, as like as not :/)

the tires are ridiculous, definitely not dual sport the rear is the Motoz Tractionator (which i ran on my 310 when i had it) it's a beast.
wings exhaust
skid plate
rally raid front (side) fuel tanks
fuel pump was addressed, iirc.

bummer you sold yours. i know i won't get to ride this as much as i want but just gonna take advantage where and when i can. a lot of those will be camping weekends with friends (and/or ADV events) which would lend themselves better towards a smaller street legal dirt bike, but i got a great deal on this, so it is what it is and i'll wrangle it, manage the extra weight and enjoy the versatility.

re: the gearing, i would have to ask the PO but pretty sure it's still stock. how did you find lowering the gearing that much affected its street manners? i don't plan to do a lot of highway, but i'm not sure of it... it's a fair decent ride from West Orange to Wharton or BTB, for example, and trailering a 690 down there feels dumb so i'd probably just ride it. but end of the day, the primary purpose and focus of the bike is definitely off road

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would buy an old 2 stroke in a heart beat if I had a truck and didn’t live in New Jersey. When I was a kid in SC there was riding all over the place. Even down there, all of those spots are shopping malls now. It sucks kids can’t grow up with dirt bikes anymore...

JonF

appreciate the pointers. the bike is pretty well sorted! i'll post some pics later or next time i take it out (around the neighborhood, as like as not :/)

the tires are ridiculous, definitely not dual sport the rear is the Motoz Tractionator (which i ran on my 310 when i had it) it's a beast.
wings exhaust
skid plate
rally raid front (side) fuel tanks
fuel pump was addressed, iirc.

bummer you sold yours. i know i won't get to ride this as much as i want but just gonna take advantage where and when i can. a lot of those will be camping weekends with friends (and/or ADV events) which would lend themselves better towards a smaller street legal dirt bike, but i got a great deal on this, so it is what it is and i'll wrangle it, manage the extra weight and enjoy the versatility.

re: the gearing, i would have to ask the PO but pretty sure it's still stock. how did you find lowering the gearing that much affected its street manners? i don't plan to do a lot of highway, but i'm not sure of it... it's a fair decent ride from West Orange to Wharton or BTB, for example, and trailering a 690 down there feels dumb so i'd probably just ride it. but end of the day, the primary purpose and focus of the bike is definitely off road
Yeah, she sounds good to go from that list.

Although heavier than a typical enduro, at around ~300 lbs its still way lighter than a DR/XR/KLR 650 and still plenty manageable. It will never feel as lithe and capable as your 310 but it also never feel incapable either. Just needs a little more finesse and less manhandling. And if you want to cover longer distances, its actually superior in that regard.

As for gearing, there's plenty of gear left in 6th to run on the highway even after an aggressive reduction. I even had a set of OEM super moto wheels and tires i'd swap on in the summer for the occasional street rip and no issues riding major highways at speed. Lowering the gearing even raises the grin factor on the street, especially with a can and tune, she's lift the front end in the first 3 gears!

Regarding riding vs trailering, its a tossup. Even though i live closer to the pines, if the meet spot was far enough, i'd load it in the truck and drive down. After a long, tiresome ride, jumping in the comfort of the smooth, quiet, air conditioned truck for that 1 hour ride home was pure bliss. Plus, if you have any mechanical issue, getting to the truck is an easier proposition than getting home. Slabbing it on an enduro is one of the most uncomfortable things ever: seats are as plush as a piece of 2x4 lumber and wind buffeting with a moto helmet and visor is tiresome.

JonF

I would buy an old 2 stroke in a heart beat if I had a truck and didn’t live in New Jersey. When I was a kid in SC there was riding all over the place. Even down there, all of those spots are shopping malls now. It sucks kids can’t grow up with dirt bikes anymore...
The lazy little urchins grow up on quads now. :rolleyes:

olegbabich

I have a KTM Enduro and ride narrow and sandy (FIGHT CLUB).

You probably do not want to take your 690 on a (FIGHT CLUB).

690 is a Kick-Ass Dual Sport Bike.

I have my Dual Sport set up with lots of Lumens, so even with my poor night vision, I can ride Jeep Trails at night. You will be amazed at what I see deep in the woods of NJ after midnight.

Many Dual Sport Rides in NJ are posted weekly on ADVRIDER, or you can reach out to the community about a meet-up.

Some folks who organize rides are great and some are not so much, but I go there to ride bikes and nothing else.

walter

Fourth Party
I certainly have the itch for a dual sport type bike, but with my kid leaving for college in 4 months its gonna be hard to sneak another motorcycle into the garage. I had a 1998ish KLR650 that i sold to an NYC firefighter after 9/11, and although i know it went to a good cause, i still regret selling it. Those motors run forever.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My next is a dual sport. I like the new Kawasaki 300 that came out this year. Decent price point and more than enough bike for me. I’ve introduced my son to motorcycles so if he decides he wants to ride more (he wants another lesson this time on trails vs a track) a DS will definitely make it into the garage so we can head out together. My daughter wants to ride too, but needs to grow a little bit before she can tip toe on anything over 50cc.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just picked up a wr250r a few weeks ago. I was looking at the new Honda and a few others in the 250-300 range but I couldn’t find a single dealer with any dual sports in stock. I lucked out finding one that didn’t make it into inventory yet.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
ED685259-D3F5-4BC0-9BEA-C85A1FBB0150.jpegI stepped down to a 250 and I love it. I’ve owned the 450, 400, 350 and now 250. This photo was the day I picked it up. It looks way different now.
I always work with Kevin and Evan at solid performance. They have been good to me and they helped me on my three page list of changes that I made before I even rode the bike.
I don’t ride much in the heat, but keep me in mind for a ride in the fall.

the schwartz

I have a KTM Enduro and ride narrow and sandy (FIGHT CLUB).

You probably do not want to take your 690 on a (FIGHT CLUB).

690 is a Kick-Ass Dual Sport Bike.

I have my Dual Sport set up with lots of Lumens, so even with my poor night vision, I can ride Jeep Trails at night. You will be amazed at what I see deep in the woods of NJ after midnight.

Many Dual Sport Rides in NJ are posted weekly on ADVRIDER, or you can reach out to the community about a meet-up.

Some folks who organize rides are great and some are not so much, but I go there to ride bikes and nothing else.

the schwartz is the schwartz on ADV as well

i'm down with pines fight club. pretty badass to go there at night, i have some aux lights i want to hook up (and it's got a Trail Tech Eclipse aka trainlight on currently)

the schwartz

View attachment 156720I stepped down to a 250 and I love it. I’ve owned the 450, 400, 350 and now 250. This photo was the day I picked it up. It looks way different now.
I always work with Kevin and Evan at solid performance. They have been good to me and they helped me on my three page list of changes that I made before I even rode the bike.
I don’t ride much in the heat, but keep me in mind for a ride in the fall.
drooly drool drool.

my $18,000 plan involved a T700 and a plated 250... but yeah.

the schwartz

Somewhere in the Berkshires, SW Mass

0522211607_HDR~2.jpg0523211348_HDR~2.jpg0523211338_HDR~2.jpg

I don't do much in the way of large events or rallies but this is an epic event, I know the trail boss and he does not mess around. calling this a big bike ride is taking some liberties, it's hard and the hero sections are no joke

Last edited:
Top Bottom