Electrical help: Dimmer replacement

Mtbdog

Pat going off the remote switch I'm guessing it's a Lightolier zpr3.
If the new dimmer isn't lighted, disregard the white. Disconnect it from the group of white wires. Put the rest of the white tucked away in the box, won't be needing them. The black wire from the new dimmer goes to the group of black wires,the other 2 wires it doesn't matter which one goes where,they are the "travelers". Then ground it and your good. Always turn power off when installing a dimmer. To get the dimmer to fit in the multi gang plate take the side pieces that say "turn off power " off dimmer for best fit.
Okay with the schematic of the dimmer I see what's happening.
The black from the new dimmer doesn't go with the group of black wires but with the black wire that originally was connected to the red wire of the original dimmer.
The 2 red wires of new dimmer goes to red and white of 3 wire.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
What are the 3 wires of the 14/3 in the first box connected to.
Red to the dimmer?
Black to the dimmer?
White goes where?
In the first box, here’s what I can see relevant to the dimmer:

One of the 14/3’s is connected as follows:
Black is connected to dimmer black
Red is connected to dimmer red/white
White is capped (as per your prior guidance since it isn’t lighted)

One of the 14/2’s has a black wire that’s connected to the red of the dimmer.

Does that help?

Mtbdog

Both Pat and I were working off the premise that it was a typical setup, but the Lightolier system has a funky fed at both ends setup.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Both Pat and I were working off the premise that it was a typical setup, but the Lightolier system has a funky fed at both ends setup.
Ok Frank and Pat. I’ll give that a try in the AM. I really appreciate all the brain time you’re giving me. 🙏

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the good news is that the light turns on/off - which means there is a feed and is hooked to the light.

what i think is happening - and it might be the same thing Frank is saying

In the first box, here’s what I can see relevant to the dimmer:

One of the 14/3’s is connected as follows:
Black is connected to dimmer black
Red is connected to dimmer red/white
White is capped (as per your prior guidance since it isn’t lighted)

One of the 14/2’s has a black wire that’s connected to the red of the dimmer.

Does that help?

you need to identify the 14/2 feed -
1. the white wire should be in the bundle,
2. the black wire feeds all the switches.
Connect the black feed to the dimmer black

then the 14/3 that goes to the other box -
red/w white stripe hook to the 14/3 white
red hook to the 14/3 red
the black wire of the 14/3 is then hooked to the 14/2 black wire going to the light.

on the remote switch
hook the black to the black screw
hook the white and red to the brass screws - doesn't matter which.

if it helps conceptually, there are two paths the electric can take between switches,
when both switches are connected to the same path, the light is on - either switch can be set to the "other" path to turn it off.
which then means either switch can be toggled to the "other" path to turn it back on.
these two paths are the red-white-stripe and red from the dimmer, and the brass screws on the switch.
When they are connected, the electricity flows back the 14/3 black wire and up to the light.

in the previous setup - all the brains were in the dimmer, and the remote switch's job was to tell the dimmer to toggle on/off.
hence only two wires connected.

IMG_0988.JPG

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
the good news is that the light turns on/off - which means there is a feed and is hooked to the light.

what i think is happening - and it might be the same thing Frank is saying

you need to identify the 14/2 feed -
1. the white wire should be in the bundle,
2. the black wire feeds all the switches.
Connect the black feed to the dimmer black

then the 14/3 that goes to the other box -
red/w white stripe hook to the 14/3 white
red hook to the 14/3 red
the black wire of the 14/3 is then hooked to the 14/2 black wire going to the light.

on the remote switch
hook the black to the black screw
hook the white and red to the brass screws - doesn't matter which.

if it helps conceptually, there are two paths the electric can take between switches,
when both switches are connected to the same path, the light is on - either switch can be set to the "other" path to turn it off.
which then means either switch can be toggled to the "other" path to turn it back on.
these two paths are the red-white-stripe and red from the dimmer, and the brass screws on the switch.
When they are connected, the electricity flows back the 14/3 black wire and up to the light.

in the previous setup - all the brains were in the dimmer, and the remote switch's job was to tell the dimmer to toggle on/off.
hence only two wires connected.

View attachment 171858
Thanks but from my layman’s interpretation that sounds different than what Frank was saying?:

“The black from the new dimmer doesn't go with the group of black wires but with the black wire that originally was connected to the red wire of the original dimmer.”

The red wire of the original dimmer was connected to the black of one of the 14/2’s. So maybe it is the same after all?

Mtbdog

The black of the 2 wire that was connected to red of old dimmer is switch leg. The black of 3 wire is tied into constant feed and is moving the "hot" to the dead end of the 3 way (black of 3 wire in box 2. This goes to black screw on switch.
Red and white of 3 wire goes to brass screws on switch in box 2 and red wires on new dimmer.
So at box 1 the switch leg (black of 2 wire that was connected to red of old dimmer) becomes point (black wire of dimmer).
Red and white of 3 wire are travelers and go to the red wires of new dimmer

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
65830D5D-54A1-4626-9C80-297FC4A8B0E7.jpeg

Thanks Frank and Pat! I was worried this was going to take longer than “The Queen Wants a Classic Convertible” thread. I only have two more questions:
1) favorite beer?
2) where to send/meetup?
Many many thanks again, 🙏
-Greg

Top Bottom