Electric Bike Conversion Kit?

EJphotos

Has anyone done an electric conversion kit on their bike? Thinking about picking up an inexpensive gravel bike and putting a conversion kit on it.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Has anyone done an electric conversion kit on their bike? Thinking about picking up an inexpensive gravel bike and putting a conversion kit on it.
I've done them in the shop. They all suck.

Get a Turbo Creo Evo and just enjoy it.

98121-12_CREO-SL-EXPERT-CARBON-EVO-FSTGRN-CMLN_HERO.jpeg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was riding a road bicycle out in California once, and I got passed going up a hill by a guy on an old Schwinn cruiser type of bicycle with a DIY lawnmower engine conversion.

the schwartz

Bump, following

I want to do a conversion on my father in law's old Jaguar Mark IV.

I was initially thinking about the gas motor kits, I've seen those, but I think I'd rather go electric... Mostly to eliminate the noise

1102211546a.jpg1102211546.jpg

Bisquick

If you have ever been into RC stuff building a e-anything is basically just upscaling that. I know they make super cheap Chinese hub motors, just build the wheel around that. Personally I would use that, and a vesc or some variation of open source esc with the biggest lipo battery I can make. Could probably make this thing go way faster than it was ever made for, for many miles for $700ish. Can be as pretty and safe as you are patient and skilled.

I built an electric skateboard with a similar recipe. It was stupid fast (34mph) and hucked me off it way more times than I'd like to admit.

serviceguy

I’m very happy with the Bafang 750 kit. I would just be a little nervous because of the brakes stopping capability due to the increased weight, but other than that no issue whatsoever (I ended up using custom hydraulic levers paired to entry level Shimano calipers, they matched nicely). I went with the center mount version but given the type of bike I think you would be better off with a rear wheel kit ( replaces your rear hub).

Last edited:

EJphotos

Hah, forgot I made this thread. Put a Bafang 750 watt on the old Giant Trance over the summer. Simple to do and pretty fun to ride although I haven't ridden it since getting a motorcycle. Lol.
Actually thinking about selling the setup.
20210728_061423.jpg

JerseyPete

the schwartz

I went with the center mount version but given the type of bike I think you would be better off with a rear wheel kit ( replaces your rear hub).
curious your reasoning for rear hub, is that for aesthetics, because the center mount would "mess up" the lines of the bike in the middle? or something more functional?

i went downstairs to look at the bike and realized that it only has a rear wheel coaster brake... hmm. project scope creep starting early.
i guess it's reasonable to say i will NEED to put some other/more/better brakes on the bike if i plan to start cruising town at idontknowwhat 20,30,40 mph (i mean what's the point of putting a motor on it if i can't go stupid fast right?) but i'm not sure where to start with that on a bike like this... the frame doesn't have any mounts for rim brakes. i guess i could carry a stick and just jam it in the front spokes for rapid deceleration.

good news is the Stewart Warner brand Cadet speedometer currently installed to the front wheel goes up to 50mph =D
1635951072185.jpeg

looks like this ^

serviceguy

curious your reasoning for rear hub, is that for aesthetics, because the center mount would "mess up" the lines of the bike in the middle? or something more functional?

i went downstairs to look at the bike and realized that it only has a rear wheel coaster brake... hmm. project scope creep starting early.
i guess it's reasonable to say i will NEED to put some other/more/better brakes on the bike if i plan to start cruising town at idontknowwhat 20,30,40 mph (i mean what's the point of putting a motor on it if i can't go stupid fast right?) but i'm not sure where to start with that on a bike like this... the frame doesn't have any mounts for rim brakes. i guess i could carry a stick and just jam it in the front spokes for rapid deceleration.

good news is the Stewart Warner brand Cadet speedometer currently installed to the front wheel goes up to 50mph =D
View attachment 170199
looks like this ^
My concern would be mostly for the compatibility of the bike BB housing with the motor. The mid mounted unit replaces the BB and cranks and you would have to verify the compatibility with the one on such an older bike due to changing standards.

Besides having to lace a new wheel the rear hub mounts is 'cleaner' as you keep the original cranks and BB. A front hub option exists as well.

For my installation the challenge was to mount securely the battery somewhere on the frame. I did a temporary installation using the bike rear rack at first, then fabricated an aluminum bracket to support the battery as it is only supposed to connect to the down tube using the bottle cage bosses, and on the frame I used it would only match one of them, so it was a no go.

Top Bottom