EggBeater experiences

mfennell

Last fall, I bought 3 sets of EggBeaters. 2 pairs of the cheap "C", one pair of the stainless "SL". Since Thanksgiving, I've broken 3 of them.

One SL, 2 C. Two left pedals, 1 right. The lefts on my SS, the right on my Asylum. IOW, there's no real trend. The only trend is that they have all broken the same way: the end of the spring breaks off right at the bend.

I ride Hartshorne, so no rock gardens. None of the breaks were from a hit - all were (swear to God!) Just Riding Along. Once climbing on the SS, once hopping a log, once just puttering down a "highly technical flat and straight" section in the words of a friend.

What's the deal with these things? Am I just the unluckiest guy ever? Or just a butcher? I've had people tell me they've used the same pedals without incident for years.

MST.ESQ

Common problem from what I hear. My spring broke once over 2 years. Crank Brothers fixed mine, did an overhaul, and had them back to me within a week. They did not even ask me for date of purchase.

I know of some people who never have issues with these though.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I've seen it, but not that often. I'm surprised that you've done it three times in a row. Usually what I see is broken wings on them. I would definitely try to get in contact with them because they will probably warranty it for you.

joeschaar

I have been using eggs for 6 years. only last year did my oldest pair need to be rebuilt. i bought a rebuild kit from Martys and they work great again.

I am SHOCKED to hear that anyone has had issues with these. I own a pair for every bike I have (5) and an extra pair.

They work great for mud, snow, etc. They only thing that you should know is that the cleats wear and should be replaced. The cleats are not cheap ($25).

Stick with them. They are great. After the brak in they are like your favorite pair of jeans.

xc62701

It seems that they do fail every now and then but their service is top notch. I have sent 2 pairs back and will be sending another back soon as well. One was my fault and the other two were product issues. I love em and don't feel comfortable riding anything else.

mfennell

Good feedback. Thanks. I have an SL headed out already and return auths for the other two. I'm glad Crank Brothers has good service but they're not on the trail when I break. "Dammit, you broke one of those things the LAST time we rode together!" :)

I do really like them on any ride they finish in one piece.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I've used them the C's and the Candys that came on my Stumpy.

The C's are holding up after two seasons of 'cross. The Candys failed.

If you want a larger pedaling platform - Shimano's are the best IMO.

However, I will be on 4ti's this race season. :D

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i splintered the hell out of my eggbeaters. they had a matrix of cracks running all over them. Crank bros replaced them, but it took them a month and they charged for freight :(

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
i splintered the hell out of my eggbeaters. they had a matrix of cracks running all over them. Crank bros replaced them, but it took them a month and they charged for freight :(

To this day dude, I have NO clue what the heck you did to those poor things.

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Egg Beaters

What's the deal with these things? Am I just the unluckiest guy ever? Or just a butcher? I've had people tell me they've used the same pedals without incident for years.[/QUOTE]

We have had to send back about 6-7 of every 10 that go out on new bikes. We do not sell these pedals in the aftermarket for fear of the inevitable failure. IMO Shimano or Time are the only mountain pedal to ever consider

CrossAddict

Candy MMMMmmmm.

I rock the candy pedals, but because of the rock bashing that I do up in North Jersey. I just replace them every year to keep that 'fresh' connected feeling. Just my thoughts:)

mtnbiker5

Candy's

I had a pair of Candy's beginning last spring, busted one at Ringwood (go figure) about an hour in. I picked up the new XTR's and never looked back. I bash the hell out of em and they are bullet proof. So easy to repair/replace as well. Mud is mud, you deal with it when you have to but I'd never jump into the eggs again.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this has come up before and recently was with a candy user who was on his thrid set in the last 1.5 yrs. 20mins.in the ride rock slap pedal done, never owned cb pedals and never will. Been on the shimanos for over a decade without incidents only losened cleats, still riding old set of xts and recently picked up the xtrs.

M

Mtnbikechick

Love 'em!

Maybe us girls aren't as hard on our things... but, I do my fair share of bashing on rock gardens, log piles, trees and solid earth... and egg beaters are all I ride in... I love 'em. I've never had a problem, and I hope I didn't just jinx myself... YIKES

Anyway, I'm considering trying the TIME's after all the reviews should anything happen with my Candy's. I know a lot of riders swear by both the TIME and Shimano pedals. I started with the Shimano's, and while I find them durable and dependable, they tend to clog easily with mud, dirt and debris.

LC:)

xc62701

I'm thinking all y'all need to work on some cadence...sheesh. I ride the heck outta mine and they hold up pretty well. That's why I own 3 pairs of em. I'm not comfy on anything else.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i broke two pairs in one day. 4 pedals. rode em fo not more than 6 months i think. constantly had issues with them releasing on upstroke, through tech sections, and on pedal strike. replaced them with times and never looked back. much firmer engagement. lightyears better durability. equal performance in mud and snow. more foot support. longer lasting cleats.

ryan may have been riding his problem free(except for when he has to send em back for service/repair:D), but he also does wallrides on a trek 9.8 with crossmax wheels if i remember correctly.... the man floats like a butterfly.

Top Bottom