Ecommerce...getting started. Can anyone give some real world pointers?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
As some know I have helped develop, design, refine and fabricate different products. I have plenty of hands-on experience and have done a few unofficial businesses. In the early days I did very basic Ebay sales(I listed, sold, packaged and shipped individual products that I sold. I have done welding lessons at my home as well as local bicycle repairs. Custom welding, fabrication and metal art as well. What I have not done is been able to figure out how to start a legitimate business. I tend to be an over thinker and find it very difficult to navigate the gray area.

What I would like to do is start an e-commerce business. It seems like this is the way to go but drop shipping and arbitrage seem to be the wrong way. Any tips from successful business owners? I have some friends who have done this but rarely do they seem to share specific details. Obviously Amazon, Shopify, Etsy etc. I have watched countless YouTube videos, grant cordon videos(LOL I guess) but I just need help taking the next step. I am willing to do the work, have funds to get started but am like a deer in the headlights. Maybe an answer on here isn't the best way but if someone is willing to help a dm or phone call would be greatly appreciated. 908-727-3447. Dave

Note: I am not looking to get rich fast but looking to change my life for the better. I feel a lack of knowledge when it comes to being an entrepreneur but at the same time I feel I have too much knowledge to be doing what I am doing.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Start with what you know.
That is the key to any business.

Do you want to sell a product?
Do you want to be paid to review products?

How will you differentiate you/your product?

Watch some of the videos of the youtubers that are just taking subscriber "subscriptions" - they have some number of hours of content,
then keep adding. People pay to for subscriber exclusive - or early access to content. Then you double down by posting affiliate links to amazon.
Giving honest reviews and demos of the products. If you get a bad product sent to you - work with the manufacturer to improve it, then do content on that.

you've got your metal working skills
Bike repair/set-up skills
general wrench stuff.

Maybe add in some in-person training where they come to you - or if you have a specific skill that others need,
ie heavy equipment repair - maybe you go to them? Not sure how this works - perhaps you are a contractor for a larger co,
they schedule and you do a couple days a month on the road? This could be a fun thing in the summer - family in-tow.

The accounting stuff - just make sure you know what your are spending, and what is coming in.
Cash flow might be more important than booming success right out of the gate.

Might be cool to do a vid series on teaching the kids to weld - and how they should practice, etc.....
good life skill, good family thing. have them do some of the filming - even if nothing came from it -
the payoff in family time might be the biggest gain.

qclabrat

Reach out to your local small business bureau. They can set you up with a mentor and walk you through your plan. If you don't have a well thought out plan, this will be your first step. It will take time to work out the numbers and entrepreneurial analysis, not a place to short cut. Read up on creating a business plan, there are plenty of good sights out there. I have a list somewhere and will post if it turns up.

Top Bottom