Eccentric BB... wish me luck

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Well I managed to get the "cap" off the BB and see the bearing but I was expecting to get to the bearing balls like the headset ones in the back of the pic. But I didn't expect to open it and see skateboard style bearings. I guess you can't get to the bearing balls then right? Pretty sure it's sealed, no? Especially if it says Truvativ Sealx...:hmmm:

the "skateboard" style bearing are the sealed bearings, this is when you need to get the seal off with the tip of a knife.

Maurice

What does it do when you spin the bearing by hand? If it's still relatively smooth, leave it alone. If not, perhaps it's time to simply replace them. You can do it with Enduro's tools like elbiddy says, but I've had good success with a screwdriver and BFH. Can't count the bearings I've replaced anymore... A second set of (very trusting) hands is a plus, otherwise if it's tenacious I screw the cup into a piece of PVC pipe and hold it in a vise.

BTW, you missed a spot on the crank ;)

THATmanMANNY

now you have to get them all dirty again
Definitely not! Or at least try not. I'm gonna leave it untouched for a bit, clean out my hubs and ponder some bling for it. Well I get some fenders now so we will see :hmmm:

the "skateboard" style bearing are the sealed bearings, this is when you need to get the seal off with the tip of a knife.
But then... maybe I'll break it out if I see stb on Sunday! ;) I think I'm gonna pass on that task this time around. Don't won't to risk damaging them and laying down $$$ for BB. Maybe next time after I read more Tim's mtbr link. They sound like they are spinning fine and applying the degreaser really cleaned the area out. So I'm just gonna repack it now. All in all, it was fun and my bike will be better than new.

What does it do when you spin the bearing by hand? If it's still relatively smooth, leave it alone... missed spot on crank ;)
Leaving it be. Thanks I'll get to the spot later :)

Thanks everyone. Hope this proved informative for some ppl.

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
The only option you have is to pop off the seal which is semi-risky since if you break it you're SOL unless you buy another cartridge to nab a seal from...

If anyone needs a the outer plastic seal/spacer for a Shimano Hollowtech BB, I have 2 that are still intact. The Enduro bearing increase the bearing size sligtly and only use an outer seal, so I have the old ones. Let me know if you happen to break one (not difficult):D.

Tim

THATmanMANNY

opened bearings

Well like many things in life, I changed my mind :rolleyes: since everything is broken down I might as well just check it out. So I found this very good sharp tweezer and took off the bearing cover, cleaned it out, waited a few days then put in new grease. The toothpick turned out to be an essential "tool" to pack the bearing. I only fooled around with the non-drive BB side. Everything looks fine but it definitely does not spin fine. A lot more rough than before. Think it just needs a few rides and a few hundred revolutions and it should be back to normal?

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

yea... but i figure i needed that much to get in the gaps that dabbing won't get to. When I dabbed it around, spun it and put the cover back on, nothing gushed out. Spun it few times again and opened it and it looked like just as much grease as OEM. But I'll try to scoop some out and test. It's a grinding rough, like the balls feels like they aren't getting the grease.

When I first opened the BB cover there was grease between BB cover and the bearing cartridge. So I should applied some between there again. Is that assumptiong correct? Also, the BB cover spins with bearings should it be doing that?

Thanks ppl, or mainly just stb :)

Maurice

Dude, you got a lot of time on your hands ;)

If it spins rough now, that's normal. The grease is great at resisting spin, but with load it won't make a difference.

And, told you to leave it alone. Now that you opened it, it may be likely to get contaminated faster, no matter what care you took at removing/replacing the seal. No big deal, just keep an eye out when water gets in contact with the bottom bracket. Too tempting, heh, did you like taking your toys apart when you were a little kid (you're obviously taking them apart now)?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
perhaps squirting grease underneath the bearings with a syringe will help? just a guess .. also it looks like the grease in the 1st photo looks thinner almost like oil

Top Bottom