eBooks vs paper?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There’s a book out that I want and I’m debating getting the electronic version. I’ve got boxes of old books and all that paper seems wasteful. Plus I need readers now for paperbacks and headaches happen. Wood be using my iPad.

Otoh, traditional books can go anywhere, never need charging and don’t care if you drop them.
thoughts?

There’s a book out that I want and I’m debating getting the electronic version. I’ve got boxes of old books and all that paper seems wasteful. Plus I need readers now for paperbacks and headaches happen. Wood be using my iPad.

Otoh, traditional books can go anywhere, never need charging and don’t care if you drop them.
thoughts?

Don't get old?

Reading a book on an ipad kinda blows IMO. Heavy, and screen is rough on eyes over time.

Kindle or similar is nice. Device is lightweight, and once you get used to that it's kind of annoying to have to turn an actual page when you first switch back to paper. Maybe not worth it for one book tho.

Can pass along dead trees to someone else when you're done, plus the other good things you mentioned.

I do a lot of each. Anything heavily footnoted or with technical words is e-book material: built in dictionary and ability to jump to footnote and back.
For beach reading, nothing beats paper. A bright sun can wash out a screen; and the pages can handle sand.
If reading in a shared bed, paper requires a light source, the tablet has its own.
One last thing: my ebook is cross-platform. I can leave my tablet home, find I have time to kill somewhere, and use my phone to read. Each device knows where I left off. Pretty convenient.

Kindle app on iPhone here. Anything heavier than that is too much. I prefer easier reads in the e-version though.

I typically read more physical books than electronic. It allows you to separate church & state, so to speak.

Maybe I’ll try the ebook ( the paperback isn’t out for a bit anyway) this time and see how it hits me. Thanks for the input all.

I’ve used kindles for more than a decade now.... I’m a paperback guy from back in my subway commuting days in the 80’s.

I love the feel of a paperback in the hand, the smell of the paper, the convenience of folding a corner....the soft yellow/beige/tan color is just so easy on the eyes you never get strain.

You can (visually) mimic a fair amount of the experience on the kindle eReaders (not the stupid fire thing or the app on a Phone/iPad).
Being able to adjust the presentation is a big deal to me.... changing font size alone is worth the cost to me.... 😉 just my 2c.

Attachments

• 1203580E-0DDF-4F0C-BA19-BDD2A44DF240.jpeg
    1203580E-0DDF-4F0C-BA19-BDD2A44DF240.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
  • D888F285-0EDB-44D7-9772-DBAFA1077D94.jpeg
    D888F285-0EDB-44D7-9772-DBAFA1077D94.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F6984C2C-0B33-4CA6-BB1D-C33C41F72896.jpeg
    F6984C2C-0B33-4CA6-BB1D-C33C41F72896.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4
  • A1A3F896-C312-46F8-9F66-E524035B2555.jpeg
    A1A3F896-C312-46F8-9F66-E524035B2555.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 9382F8CD-6CC3-473D-AB42-7A9A3BAC3FBF.jpeg
    9382F8CD-6CC3-473D-AB42-7A9A3BAC3FBF.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 3
  • B89FB00A-4884-489C-B101-AD573BFF38AC.jpeg
    B89FB00A-4884-489C-B101-AD573BFF38AC.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Maybe I’ll try the ebook ( the paperback isn’t out for a bit anyway) this time and see how it hits me. Thanks for the input all.

Curious what book.

I have a series I am reading and it came out on audiobook, but not print or e-version. Apparently this is a thing now. It takes like 6 months for it to hit visual media.

#deafLivesMatter

I have a 15ish year old Sony e-reader that used to get quite a bit of use. It's not quite the same as a real book, but it's pretty close. I can't imagine reading a full book on an iphone or ipad though.

I love the feel of a paperback in the hand, the smell of the paper, the convenience of following a corner....the soft yellow/beige/tan color is just so easy on the eyes you never get strain.

This.

For leisure I prefer paper, even though it’s plagued by old geometry that makes it most inefficient on the trail. For anything that requires cross referencing or technical the choice is quite obviously electronic (iPhone or computer screen I know, still old).

Curious what book.

I have a series I am reading and it came out on audiobook, but not print or e-version. Apparently this is a thing now. It takes like 6 months for it to hit visual media.

#deafLivesMatter

Will Jordan's "Ryan Drake" series. Seems like Tom Clancy-ish spy thriller but I follow his channel on Youtube (The Critical Drinker) and thought I'd give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom