Ebikes on Federal Land

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have no reservation in allowing them at this point.
There may need to be no-ebike trails, which the land manager can identify.
Once they take the lead, the states and counties can look at their results, and
make educated decisions.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think allowing Ebikes was/is inevitable. As more people own them and distinguishing them apart from non-Ebikes becomes more difficult, trying to keep them out will be almost impossible.

Wildwalker

Any sign I have ever seen on public land always said No Motorized Vehicles. I dont think they should be allowed on the trails in NJ because the trails are hard enough to maintain as it is.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any sign I have ever seen on public land always said No Motorized Vehicles. I dont think they should be allowed on the trails in NJ because the trails are hard enough to maintain as it is.
The typical e-bike discussion is around pedal assist (is that Class 1?), which limits the top assisted speed to somewhere around 20mph. There's no reason these can't be ridden in most areas. In fact, there are several folks that use e-bikes to do trail maintanance. They cause no more wear on the trail than any other bike.

roc

The typical e-bike discussion is around pedal assist (is that Class 1?), which limits the top assisted speed to somewhere around 20mph. There's no reason these can't be ridden in most areas. In fact, there are several folks that use e-bikes to do trail maintanance. They cause no more wear on the trail than any other bike.
Absolutely true!! I can’t understand why anybody would care.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I likened to what Lenosky had said on an interview the other day. Other then TM there probably not a benefit in NJ. If you lived in a mountainous area where you have a straight up access road that funnels off the top to web of trails for DH laps makes the most sense. More laps per day equals much fun. This is where the ebike scene will be the most promising and not just with the older crowd. I been saying all along I could see this being where I would want one. Either way they're here to stay and brands will be jumping on board, just like santa cruz who they said never would...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
well i was going to borrow one for wildcat wednesday for "research" purposes.
but alas. the grant has been delayed. but is still live.

we'll see if it is useful when cat 2 pack fodder rides with the big boys.

mtn

What does trail maintenance have to do with ebikes? lol. Are people attaching BOB yaks or Burley flatbeds on the back to haul gear?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What does trail maintenance have to do with ebikes? lol. Are people attaching BOB yaks or Burley flatbeds on the back to haul gear?

When I do TM in my back yard I drag 6 tools and a bucket to where I’m working. I also have 4 other tools and a wheelbarrow that I use on occasion.

When I hike in to do TM in a park I can carry maybe 2 tools but usually just 1. It’s absurdly inefficient to do it that way and it I would love to be able to drag the kitchen sink. But alas, it’s usually just my axe.

mtn

You should try it sometime especially when solo ?

I never do trail maintenance NOT solo. Mostly carrying 20lbs of chainsaw stuff, but other times carrying a shovel, axe mattock, rake, hatchet, hand saw, and the personal gear. I don’t do rock armoring, so no spud bars thank goodness. Normal day is probably 5-10 miles. No way I’d think about using a bike. Plus, hiking it gives you a chance to move rocks or logs and trim branches with pruners.

mtn

I will say that a wheelbarrow attachment would be pretty cool. Something with a detachable tongue and foldable handle so you can use it as a wheelbarrow when you get to the location.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I love swinging axe and am used to carrying my axe in a Builders Pack. But after buying a large Silky KatanaBoy saw that can be easily carried on the back or in the pannier, I find myself only bringing the axe for the big ones that are on the ground.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never do trail maintenance NOT solo. Mostly carrying 20lbs of chainsaw stuff, but other times carrying a shovel, axe mattock, rake, hatchet, hand saw, and the personal gear. I don’t do rock armoring, so no spud bars thank goodness. Normal day is probably 5-10 miles. No way I’d think about using a bike. Plus, hiking it gives you a chance to move rocks or logs and trim branches with pruners.
Cool cool where can I ride these trails when we open back up. Want to sample them.

Top Bottom