EBB or slider dropout?

liong71er

hi,folks!

i need some advise regarding this aplication.
i like to know wich one is better or reliable EBB or paragon slider dropout?

i like slider,but not sure with the strengthnes/reliability.
also EBB kind cool too....so i'm confused now:(

thanks in advance!

THATmanMANNY

:duh: but if you ever want to make it geared you'd have to go EBB unless if you have something weird like "stupid's" specialized 29er sliding dropouts with gears :rolleyes:

BiknBen

This is completely a personal preference thing. For the record, I prefer the EBB. I don't like all that hardware hangin on the rear triangle. Keep it nice and tidy in the BB behind the cranks where no one will see it. I also have a phobia regarding little bolts that could break or strip. The fewer the better.

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
This is completely a personal preference thing. For the record, I prefer the EBB. I don't like all that hardware hangin on the rear triangle. Keep it nice and tidy in the BB behind the cranks where no one will see it. I also have a phobia regarding little bolts that could break or strip. The fewer the better.

I agree with Ben. Less going on. My EBB is super quiet but I have a steel frame.

gtluke

The Moped
EBB makes for easier rear wheel removal and you don't have to deal with retarded disc brake alignment. unless you get one of those whole sliding dropout things.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
unless you get one of those whole sliding dropout things.

thats what he's talking about.

looks like this
ParagonDO.jpg

J-Dro

+1 on the EBB. I don't understand why people think they are high maintenance. I never touch mine. Rear wheel removal is a snap.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
for the record, there's no problem removing rear wheels with sliding drop outs, its the same as with regular ones. personally i have no experience with ebbs, i've just heard people complaining.

kush

EBB > sliced bread

I go between 18T and 20T in under 5 minutes. And I'm mechanically declined.

No hassle, no mess.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have sliding dropouts on my Misfit and have no problems to speak of and do not have to do anything with he brakes, wheel drops out can change cog and slip back on in under 2 mins. Ilike!

TonyC

I agree with Ben. Less going on. My EBB is super quiet but I have a steel frame.

I'm with Ben, also.. No problems with my Bushnell EBB.. One bolt tighty righty..
I'm a maintence whore so I take the EBB out and clean every few weeks not that it needs it..

al415

Banned
Why is the regular horizontal "track" dropout not more popular? Is it only because you lose the quick release option in the back?

Had a Zion EBB (26 inch version)... liked the vertical dropouts, but couldn't get the right tension with the EBB without also having to use a half-link.... This really bugged me...

Now have a Surly Karate Monkey with sliding dropouts.... Love em, no half-link required... Removing the tire just requires also loosening the disc brakes (which have slotted mounts) as opposed to having to remove them entirely (which would totally CHEW)...

For me it's a virtual toss-up...

BB

Maurice

I vote sliding drop-outs: no brake adjustment required and easy wheel removal, at least with the one pictured. Track ends are a bit annoying but I still prefer them over an EBB.

EBB always ends up squeaking/creaking, is a PITA to clean, and you have to move the seat around when you adjust the chain tension (if it's not a big deal for you, it is for me). Also, there's the "run it low or high" dilemma...

YMMV

Maurice

Why is the regular horizontal "track" dropout not more popular? Is it only because you lose the quick release option in the back?

You don't lose the quick release, but you do have to use a chain tensioner, at least on the drive side. I've heard of slippage with braking, but I've never had it with an old skewer and serrated nut on the wheel.
Plus you have to move the brake caliper with the wheel (discs), or pads (rim).

I don't mind having to adjust the brake, but if I were racing a single-speed I'd be using those drops pictured above.

Top Bottom