EBB or slider dropout?

By the way, let me know how you like the new Niner EBB - I'm getting one on my One9 build and am excited to hear what other people think of it.

i have one coming on my SIR9 as well...but timmy will probably be able to provide actual ride feel prior to me.

EBB's do affect geometry more that horizontal dropouts. changing bottom bracket position affect not only the heaight but also seat tube angle and cockpit are postioning. it moves you COG around.

now with horizontal dropouts you can add a link to you chain to stretch you wheel base make the bike more stable. or shorten it to make it a better and more agile climber. you're cockpit can remain the same regard less and you can change you wheelbase depending on conditions if desired. horizontal dropout FTW

i have one coming on my SIR9 as well...but timmy will probably be able to provide actual ride feel prior to me.

Nice! Are you building that SS or geared? Suspension fork or rigid? Def. let me know - more input, the better - this'll be my first EBB, so I won't have anything to compare it to.

I'm building the One9 as a rigid SS. Steel fork for now - either upgrade to carbon when it becomes available, or get a suspension for if I'm too much of a wuss for no suspension.

EBB's do affect geometry more that horizontal dropouts. changing bottom bracket position affect not only the heaight but also seat tube angle and cockpit are postioning. it moves you COG around.

now with horizontal dropouts you can add a link to you chain to stretch you wheel base make the bike more stable. or shorten it to make it a better and more agile climber. you're cockpit can remain the same regard less and you can change you wheelbase depending on conditions if desired. horizontal dropout FTW

i'm sorry, i just don't buy that it makes that much of a difference.

Nice! Are you building that SS or geared? Suspension fork or rigid? Def. let me know - more input, the better - this'll be my first EBB, so I won't have anything to compare it to.

I'm building the One9 as a rigid SS. Steel fork for now - either upgrade to carbon when it becomes available, or get a suspension for if I'm too much of a wuss for no suspension.

i'm building it SS (since that's how i roll) but am getting the SIR specifically so i can do what timmy did and run 1x9 over the winter months. or when i get too fat to push around the SS which is rapidly happening.

as for the build, i'm pretty much all set with rigid. i rode the mary rigid for 18 months before i bent the fork (went OTB in the KVSP race which, according to me is the only reason i DFL'd). now i've got a reba and i'll never go back. rigid was fun, but squishy is more funner.

How about an ecentric dropout? Transition's Bank frame has them:

Gallery_Bank09_5.jpg

yeah, that would be a pain. i guess you'd have to pull all four of those screws right?

and god forbid you drop one of those little buggers in the dirt and you don't have a spare.

the simplicity of the EBB is looking better every minute.

yeah, that would be a pain. i guess you'd have to pull all four of those screws right?

and god forbid you drop one of those little buggers in the dirt and you don't have a spare.

the simplicity of the EBB is looking better every minute.

why? probably you don't need to touch those screws...

a thru axle or DT Swiss RWS Thru bolt must for these dropouts

Last edited:

No, I believe Transition intended the use of something like a 10mm thru axle. So once you pull the axle the wheel can drop right out.

...It may not matter at all to other people. To each his own.

Yeah Maurice, please do not take this the wrong way, but that is way too serious for me!

Tom P.

Last edited:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm going to put the new EBB in when I change the SIR9 back to a 1x9 and pull it apart to treat it with frame saver.

That might happen tomorrow. Or it might happen in April. I dunno....

It is sitting here on my desk, it is a nicely machined piece. 'Wish I would've ordered blue instead of black, though.

i'm building it SS (since that's how i roll) but am getting the SIR specifically so i can do what timmy did and run 1x9 over the winter months. or when i get too fat to push around the SS which is rapidly happening.

Shhhhhhhhhhh! Don't be giving away the real reason we have bikes that can run geared or SS!

Installed the new Niner EBB today...

Hmmm....I dunno' guys...when torqued to spec it was easier than I was expecting to turn it in the shell when I was tightening up my BB cups.

AND, I f'd up my FSA carbon crankset!! Well, it doesn't look like it is permanent. A couple years ago they came with aluminum spindle bolts; they're steel now. I cross threaded the damn thing and it turned so easy that it took a little while before I realized something wasn't quite right. Fortunately, the threads in the spindle are steel, so I s/b able to clean 'em up with a M18x1 tap, get a new (steel) spindle bolt and be back in action with 'em. At least it is looking more like a $40 fu than a $350 fu. Well, at least I had my ol' XT cranks laying around doin' nothin'...

At any rate, the SIR9 is back to being a SS and has a new fangled EBB. I'll let y'all know if it works as advertised...

Crazy Horizontals

This is what I currently run
Scratch_build5.jpg
There are hub adapters sandwiched between the frame/hub, the LH side with a disc mount. The SS adapters take a 14mm axle. The geared adapters are 9mm (I think?). Each adaptor also has key to fit into the horizontal slot, so nothing shifts while you tighten the axle. The dog bone bolts through slots in the dropout and into the hub adapter. So far it's held like a vise. I'm not too keen to change a flat though :confused:

Tom P.

Last edited:
This is what I currently run
View attachment 2589
There are hub adapters sandwiched between the frame/hub, the LH side with a disc mount. The SS adapters take a 14mm axle. The geared adapters are 9mm (I think?). Each adaptor also has key to fit into the horizontal slot, so nothing shifts while you tighten the axle. The dog bone bolts through slots in the dropout and into the hub adapter. So far it's held like a vise. I'm not too keen to change a flat though :confused:

Tom P.

Very interesting setup. What frame is that and are you running a 14x135 setup?

Don,

2008 Banshee Scratch - the missing link.
Scratch_frame.jpg

And yes, DMR Revolver 14x135 hub, with a White Ind Trials FW.

Tom P.

Last edited:
Don,

The hub is way overbuilt. I didn't expect 14mm to be that big! No pegs at the moment... Halo also makes a 14/135 hub, but it is a cassette/driver, and Funn used to offer one too.

I run Profile race cranks in the American BB. My screen name just hints back to my cycling origin (and preference for SS!).

Tom P.

Back
Top Bottom