Easy Wawayanda trails

Sven

Hi all I am thinking about taking my 11 year old up to Wawayanda on Sat. is there a easy 5 to 10 mile loop? if it is to hard my son becomes a littly pissie:)

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
You should ditch Wayway and hit up either KVSP or just cruise the Sussex branch near there or Allamuchy... I havent seen anything "easy" at Wayway, never mind a 5-10 mile loop.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
The thing is, there really aren't any "easy" Wawayanda trails.
There is "easier" ie. maybe Iron Mountain trail,...Double Pond (when it's not under water), the new Plymouth Lane trail for the most part is not terribly technical and it has that nice bridge section in the center.

Two possible short loops for an accompanied 11 y/o might be: starting from the boat launch lot and making a left at the lake (technically, this is the Double Pond trail) and follow over the small wooden bridge, past the furnace, through the campsites and past the iron gate. You'll soon ride over a narrow boardwalk passing the northern terminus of the Red Dot trail on the right. Continue straight. Proceed for about 1/2 mile passing the entrance of the Cedar Swamp trail again on the right. In about another 1/4 mile (as I alluded to previously, some sections are very wet) on the right you'll see the left quarter panel of an old auto and some singletrack. Turn here. Nice trail of funneled rhodorendron(sp) with some nice bridge work in the center; only part that would be tough for an 11 y/o (or a rider of any age for that matter) is a short armored section with some rough rockwork just after the bridges. Make a left on Banker after Plymouth Lane and head down hill. There will be a swampy section near the end where you'll have to hike a bike a bit over a short stretch of planks. At the end of Banker with a horse stable on your right, make left on the semi-paved public road and ride for about 1/4 mile, re-entering the park proper. On your right you'll see the end of the Hoferlin trail and in only about 150 yards (now on the left), the entrance to Plymouth Lane where you began previously. Follow Double Pond back to your vehicle. I dunno, maybe 2 -3 miles in totality.

Another route might be: again from the boat launch lot, ride away from Lake Wawayanda towards the newer rest facility...just to the right of the john you'll see some narrow singletrack (Iron Mountain trail) that will have you crossing Wawayanda Rd. in a short while and a wooden kiosk. Behind the kiosk the trail starts up again and will eventually spit out by the ranger station by the parks' Warwick Turnpike entrance but there are a few non-dramatic turns that you might be wary of. Unfortunately I personally haven't used this route in years but it is still frequented by hikers and equestrians (but this time of year you'll encounter little of either). I'd suggest picking up a guide map at the ranger station upon entry (they might even have a dispenser/holder by the door if they're closed). After reaching the ranger station on your bike you can take the paved park road back down to the lake to your car or follow another road that runs pararel to a scenic babbling brook, making a right by the furnace. This latter bike route is a bit easier than the first I described; maybe 2 - 2.5 miles.

TimWarchol

Scum Sucker
wayway might be tough except for Plymouth trail. I havent ridden it but a few buddies of mine had and they said it wasnt too bad. When i was younger i remember going to Mahlon by me and there are some nice loops there. i was about 7- 10 at the time and it was fun. One of my favorite trails thats not so technical is the Darkhorse 40 trails those he would enjoy!

rockscaler

only way to get better is ride hard, letting him throw a pissy attitude & coddling might keep him from ever striving for that sense of achievement.

Robson

If it wasn't for hunting season I would recommend Stewart. Again, it will depend on your 11 years old technical skills. My son is 14, rode Wawayanda many times but he is good rider. Stewart is nice because it's easy and flow nicely. My son loves it.

Panhead

Where's he ridden before? Waway isn't the best place to drop an 11yo that hasn't ridden any tech stuff.

A good test would be to start at the bottom of the lake by the dam, head up Wingdam, make first right up the big hill. Follow that around the lake and come back out on Wingdam, make a right. Take next right (Sitting Bear -orange trail). Take all the way to end. If he's not happy, make left and head dowqn to the park again. If he's happy but tired, turn around and do them again.

Just make sure you bring a map in case you want to venture further out.

The race course from '09 with a bit of '10 is beginner friendly if you want to give this a try-

Start at furnace, take double pond through campground.
Make Right after the wooden bridge(red)
Take first right-(red splits)
Stay straight when reds come back together.
At bottom make Right, follow around to 2 wooden bridges, keep going to Cherry Ridge Road.
Make Left onto CCR (black), Keep Right on to Old Coal(red), stay right onto Lookout Trail(white). Follow around bottom of lake, climb little rock wall. Stay on white to top of hill, make right to stay on white.
At end make Right on to Cherry Ridge again. Make Left onto Laurel pond. Keep going to the intersection with Sitting Bear(Orange) on Left. Depending on mood keep going straight for qiuck bail out or take sitting bear for more rocky fun.
End of sitting bear make left onto Wingdam, follow back into park.
Should be about 6 or so miles.

Just re-read your post- stick with the first option or head to Kitt.

Last edited:

Sven

Thanks all, I have not been to Wawayanda to ride for about 20 years I have to be in the aria so I thought I would take him. He is a good teck rider but lacks self-confidence. i am trying to get him into new places to help his confidence. We ride mostly the rail trails in Sussex county as well as Kittiney Valley every weekend it is just hard to get him to try things outside his confect level. I would like to do more single track with him and I know he has the ability the problem is he dos not know he can do it.

Mildly Wild

The thing is, there really aren't any "easy" Wawayanda trails.
There is "easier" ie. maybe Iron Mountain trail,...just to the right of the john you'll see some narrow singletrack (

This "john" (outhouse) is no longer there. I was at boathouse pkg area last week and noticed it had been removed. Iron Mtn Trail starts on side of pkg area directly opposite the boathouse.

If you're in Stillwater I recommend KVSP or Deer Park for a youngster. Better yet, Six Mile.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions