easy out pedals

PhD-irt

Previously Dapidude....
I have been riding SPDs for years. I tend to have trouble clipping out when I am in the saddle and end up falling over more often than seems normal. Are there pedals that are easier to get out of? I have always been a little cheap and have never bought top-of-the-line gear. I have tried switching to platforms but am not entirely sold on them. Small platforms don't feel stable and I keep hitting my larger ones on rocks. Thanks in advance for the input.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There are cleats that release upwards, which might help.
Shimano SH-56

Do your pedals have a tension setting? perhaps loosen it a bit?

The panic move is to drive your heal out and down, not up, if that helps with the mental aspect.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
As said above, try adjusting your tension to release as quickly as possible. As far as pedals that release easier, I’ve found crank brothers release very easy. I’m not a fan of them, but they have a vague clip in that releases easy, as opposed to the solid click of spd.

rosceaux

I had Spd's for 15 years before I finally adjusted the setting. I did two clicks easier on all four pedal faces. It makes a huge difference as far as ease of getting in and out. The technique as mentioned above is 100% correct, but when you are clipped in and find yourself stalling uphill and/or over an obstacle, the ability to "jump" out is a game changer. (you may wish to adjust more or less.) I haven't had any issues with unintentional unclipping.

Mathers

The mulit release are 100 times better. You can just move your foot in any direction with some force and release

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been down the road from flat (as a kid) toe cage to clipless back to flats. My experience is I am most comfortable with flats now. Todays combination of flat pedal to shoe is light years from days of old. Only clipless now is on road bike that gets no love...

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
opened thread expecting pictures of pedal axle broke off flush with crank arm. . . . .

disappointed is an understatement :'(

zip

Shimano makes two kinds of cleats, black and silver. The silver ones are the easy out ones. An allen wrench adjusts the pedal looser.

Top Bottom