East Coast Bound

W

WeekendWarrior

Greetings! I am new to the site and I will be new to the area in two weeks! I am moving with my company from Huntington Beach, CA to work in Parsippany. I can't wait to get out there to check out the trails. Gotta find a place to live first...any recommendations? My needs are great schools, kick ass local riding and between Parippany and the NY border to be close to family. Hopefully when I get unpacked a few of you will take me under your wing? :hmmm: I have ridden competively in Southern California but I stopped riding last year due to a new born..nuf about me...let's ride!!!!!!!!!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Greetings! I am new to the site and I will be new to the area in two weeks! I am moving with my company from Huntington Beach, CA to work in Parsippany. I can't wait to get out there to check out the trails. Gotta find a place to live first...any recommendations? My needs are great schools, kick ass local riding and between Parippany and the NY border to be close to family. Hopefully when I get unpacked a few of you will take me under your wing? :hmmm: I have ridden competively in Southern California but I stopped riding last year due to a new born..nuf about me...let's ride!!!!!!!!!

Welcome! We'll hook you up...don't worry 'bout that :)

The area where I live (as well as several others that lurk here) might suit you. The Sparta/Jefferson Township area is a reasonable commute by NJ standards (1 hour-ish at rush, 35 min or less off rush) to the Parsippany area. The grade schools in JT are good though I've heard mixed things about the high school. I've heard Sparta schools are generally better, but I dunno'. There are others out in MTBNJ land who could comment on that.

Riding in the area is *very* good between Mahlon Dickerson, Kittatiny, and Allamuchy. Plus there are trails all over the place. There is little flat ground though up here...so if you don't like climbin', this isn't the place.

It is very woodsy here (I get bears in my yard regularly), yet we're 20 minutes (or less) from malls and vast expanses of concrete. About 45-60 min to NYC with no traffic.

Good luck with the move...

Shaggz

A strong 7
Welcome. We have very good friends who live in bong leach, and I always look forward to the brew pub in HB when we go to visit. I tink you'll like it hear - Jersey ain't that bad.

Not sure of your budget, but check out Denville, Mt. Lakes, Boonton, Franklin Lakes, Wyckoff. We live in Sparta, which is about 35 mins from Pars. Good schools and a great place to raise a family. Coming from HB, you should be able to find what you need as it is a buyers market.

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Anywhere North

I live in south jersey,...yes,..below the I-195 boarder and would love to live anywhere North. No mountains down here,...just fast & fun SS blazen trails. Rocks and logs with large inclines can be found in Parsippany and 30 minutes nearby. Go for it,..I wish I could. Welcome.

W

WeekendWarrior

thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out next week. If anyone has anymore...keep 'em coming. :D

CrossAddict

anywhere north and west of parsippany has tons of riding. Sparta has great schools and higher taxes than most sussex county towns (like most things though you get what you pay for) Andover is nice and kitattiny is a Blue Ribbon school taxes are not bad and the riding is sweet. It is a little futher out from parsippany than sparta. Danville is nice and taxes are low and the commute would be short. If you are in the 1-million $$$ range the town of mountain lakes has the very best schools in the state and you can ride the tourne or split rock right from your house. You can't lose moving to NJ (except winter) the riding is great.

I hope this helps.

-rf

pinkshirtphotos

sussex county, sparta schools i here are nicer then others. stay away from towns that send to highpoint regional, and vernon! if the kids are in highschool look into sussex tech. one of the best tech schools in nj.

CrossAddict

Hey there pink,

I teach at Vernon and I would be happy to have my own son go there. we even have our own MTB club involved with road clean ups, trail work, and racing. The school also has a new turf field, 6-tennis courts, and an 8-lane track. Not that Vernon is even near parsippany, but you can't knock a school that is sending a student to Princeton U. Sorry I have to defend my colleges and town.

-rf

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
chester, mendham, long valley and roxbury are also good options. i live in succasunna (part of roxbury twp) and from here i'm 20 minutes to four parks: lewis morris, kittatiny, mahlon and alamuchy all of which offer great riding (six if you count deer park and stephens seperate). taxes are moderate (it is NJ...) and the schools are pretty good. also, i have access to rtes 80, 10, 46 and 206, all of which are within five minutes...but from where i am you'd never know they're as close as they are. parsippany is about 20 minutes away but that of course depends on the time of day you leave. rush hour here is HORRIBLE. thankfully my commuting days are long past so it only effects me if i have to travel to NYC which on average is once a week.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
If I had to do it all over again, I'd move to Ringwood or the Ringwood area. Decent schools, housing costs and taxes; 4 GREAT places to ride within 10 minutes (RW, Skyline, Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda) not too far from Stewart SF and the nice trail networks of Westchester Cty. NY (Blue, Graham Hills, Sprain Ridge) about 45 minutes away.

NJ Jess

Right on.

anywhere North. Here at the shore you have a lot of road riding. It still takes me 35 minutes to get to Allaire SP due to traffic and it's the town next door. Summer beach traffic will kill you. I usually have my XC and road bikes in the van,...so I can stop a parks or off roads when there is a 4 hour pile up. Sucks to do,..but adventurous the same way.

W

WeekendWarrior

Thanks

I have landed! I've been looking in the Mont Vale and Old Tappan area and over the TZ Bridge in Pleasantville and Armonk areas. I am still lost though. The bikes are in the semi heading out here and until I find a house, they remain in storage. Nothing like a little incentive to buy! Have a happy Mem. Day weekend all!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Welcome! Westchester is real nice, and has great riding, too. However, I would suggest staying on the same side of the TZ bridge as your job...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've been looking in the Mont Vale and Old Tappan area and over the TZ Bridge in Pleasantville and Armonk areas.

There's a few of us in that area in jersey. I'm in Westwood, Sean's in Mahwah and Tim's in Norwood. We're a half hour from Ringwood and a half hour from a few Westchester parks so there's good riding around here; it's just not next door. I ride every weekend so if you move around here let me know.

Top Bottom