Eagle Scout Bridge Building Wed, 11/21 from 12-4pm

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
A local Eagle Scout had taken on a bridge building project on the new Blue "Chunky Monkey" trail. The bridge will span the stream crossing toward the North end of the trail, closer to the bouldering rocks. It was supposed to be this weekend but got snowed out, so they rescheduled it for the day before Thanksgiving because the kids have a half day of school. If anyone can make it, they would really appreciate the help. They will be driving the lumber up the pipeline in the Ranger's Gator, but will then need to walk the materials to the work site. Many hands make light work. I will not be there but let me know and I will tell the Scout you're coming.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Checked out the kids' handiwork today. Bridge is done and looks good - they even did concrete footings. To finish it off, the bridge just needs some ramping on both sides. The angle is kinda awkward but i guess it had to be done that way based on the giant embedded rocks on both banks. Good news is they put it right up next to that slanted rock so we can ride on it and right onto the bridge.

20181122_112205.jpg

20181122_112215.jpg

20181122_112251.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Checked out the kids' handiwork today. Bridge is done and looks good - they even did concrete footings. To finish it off, the bridge just needs some ramping on both sides. The angle is kinda awkward but i guess it had to be done that way based on the giant embedded rocks on both banks. Good news is they put it right up next to that slanted rock so we can ride on it and right onto the bridge.

View attachment 81365
View attachment 81366
View attachment 81367

I checked it out today too. Agree the angle is awkward on the one side (I was doing chunky monkey backwards). Side note, that trail is literally impossible to follow right now. I ran into a guy with 2 daughters hiking and cautioned them to turn around, hope they didn't end up in the quarry!

Also saw your work on the C trail - looks good, still a ridiculous climb!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I checked it out today too. Agree the angle is awkward on the one side (I was doing chunky monkey backwards). Side note, that trail is literally impossible to follow right now. I ran into a guy with 2 daughters hiking and cautioned them to turn around, hope they didn't end up in the quarry!

Also saw your work on the C trail - looks good, still a ridiculous climb!

Yes, i agree it's hard to follow Chunkey Monkey on that end, and it's super wet. I went off trail a couple times. Over the winter i will start working on a rock highway to show the way.

J-Dro

With the exception of Boulderama (which gets a ton of foot traffic), all the trails were hard to follow today. Heavy dump of leaves and lack of vegetation to mark the trail edge makes this a yearly affair.

The new armor at the end of CM is holding up well!

phillychris498

Rode Chunky Monkey today, and that bridge is a must have. Id like to build up some rocks on the side of the bridge with the large rock face to kinda make a natural rock berm that rides off onto the bridge, if that makes any sense. I tried to do that today without much luck...

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rode Chunky Monkey today, and that bridge is a must have. Id like to build up some rocks on the side of the bridge with the large rock face to kinda make a natural rock berm that rides off onto the bridge, if that makes any sense. I tried to do that today without much luck...

I think I know what you're talking about and I like the idea.

snashters

I think I know what you're talking about and I like the idea.
Got out there today and had a play on this. Don’t be put off by the orientation of the bridge, ignore it and just ride from one rock to the other (diagonally across the bridge), it doesn’t need any more rockwork to get on/off the slanted rock. It works well in both directions. Going clockwise after coming off the bridge you can hop up on to the big boulder (the one in the background of the first 2 photos above), but it could do with some rockwork to provide a bit of a ramp down off the far side of it.
I found a couple of rocks to ramp up one end of the bridge.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions