Eagle GX Derailleur issue

MikeyBikey2000

All I did was remove the wheel to put brake pads in.. took for a spin (previously drive train ran flawlessly), hit a climb and it would no longer get on to the highest cog, kept slipping between highest and second highest.. went home, threw on the stand, used the barrel adjuster and got it to seat right and seemed like all gears were hitting fine. Took out and hit it hard and there was a little play when cranking up a hill but now you can hear the derailleur not fully switching between like the 4-5th cog, and when there's pressure it will slip.. The sweet spot using the barrel adjuster is alluding me.. Wheel is on tight btw, I thought maybe there was a tiny bit of play. Anyone have anything I can check.. ready for fire.

Is it possible that the freehub is loose? This happened to my friend and the freehub slid out enough to destroy the pawls. What hub brand is it?

Is it possible that the freehub is loose? This happened to my friend and the freehub slid out enough to destroy the pawls. What hub brand is it?
Its a Reynolds wheel with a Reynolds hub (no markings that easily visible as to what model, but I can look closer later).. what would be the test to see if its loose?

You probably didn’t tighten the axle as far as it was previously. If you had it probably would have created some excess rotor rub from the new pads.

Just need to adjust that limit screw so you can get in the largest cog.

I just took it off (has a Shimano lock nut on the opposite side of the cassette if that helps) and put it back on (the wheel, not the nut.. zero play on the cassette or anything, no wobble), still had some difficulty between 4 and 5 and was completely skipping 10.. I went loose on the barrel adjuster and now the noise is gone (doesn't sound caught like it still wants to shift) and all gears are being hit.. but that is just on the stand, I need to try it out under pressure.

99% of the time the b-tension is wrong when Eagle is wonky. There's a tool to adjust it correctly.

First you need to adjust the high and low stops with the cable totally slack. Pull the jacket out of the holder on the chainstay. Make sure the chain goes into the high and low gears but doesn't go over either. Now put the cable back and adjust the barrel adjustment.

What does the tool do? Its a SRAM tool?
Sram B Gap Tool
514Y2497RDL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Ive decided that 12 speed jumped the shark. It doesn’t last long enough in perfect configuration. 11 speed is the sweet spot. Ya really don’t need that 50t in the back. You’re better off with a 28t in front and an 11 or 10-42 in the back.
Sorry. Rant over.

Ive decided that 12 speed jumped the shark. It doesn’t last long enough in perfect configuration. 11 speed is the sweet spot. Ya really don’t need that 50t in the back. You’re better off with a 28t in front and an 11 or 10-42 in the back.
Sorry. Rant over.12 and 11
I been eye balling the box prime nine :) I feel like i am double clicking on both 11 and 12. 9 gets me a nice heavy chain too. Those 12s can suck it...

eh. If you actually ride rocks and stuff, and don’t get EP, AXS isn’t worth it. I know they are less likely to break then they used to be but still....

I’ll take XX1 11sp until AXS gets much cheaper.

I been eye balling the box prime nine :) I feel like i am double clicking on both 11 and 12. 9 gets me a nice heavy chain too. Those 12s can suck it...

actually the 12 speed chains are stronger. The pins are shorter.

eh. If you actually ride rocks and stuff, and don’t get EP, AXS isn’t worth it. I know they are less likely to break then they used to be but still....

I’ll take XX1 11sp until AXS gets much cheaper.
Like $20 more than gx

The AXS crash feature makes it 1,000 times less likely to get damaged from rock strikes or sticks. I haven't replaced a derailleur or hanger on any of my bikes in years.

It isn't cheap, but it's only like $500 more than GX. Seems like a no brainer IMO. For realz.

What’s the weight difference between an 11sp XX1 shifter, derailleur, and cassette, vs. the same AXS components?
Can you use an AXS shifter and derailleur with an 11sp cassette?

I feel like @UtahJoe arguing about his XX cassette and shifter were worth holding onto because they were so much lighter, but ironically, he got an AXS setup as well. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom