• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Everyone has opinions but the market usually speaks for itself in situations like this.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I just want to take this moment to acknowledge my agreement with Monkey Soup.

This conversation is pretty far from over me thinks
This is a watershed moment, someone agrees with me.

I'm watching....:D

@jdog, are they providing a marketing plan for moving these bikes? I don't see a whole ton of advertising where i'm reading.
(i could leaf through the AARP mag over on the counter, but i avoid it)
if i get a clip on youtube, i usually watch it past the 5 seconds if i haven't seen it before.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Clearly I’m not a shop owner and I have zero actual insider information on any tactics used by the bicycle companies.....

My concern has always been that “Big Bicycle” has a narrative that they will see realized regardless of reality.

I see it at my own corporate life when the message and reality are incongruous, it is reality that is forced to change regardless of the damage it causes to all involved, including corporate.

I mention this because it’s not hard to imagine let’s say Trek (just because it’s a short name to type) desires day one that in order to carry their bikes, a shop would have to have an eBike available to test ride .... a ebike Trek did not supply cost free nor is it covering maint costs or compensating for loss of prime shop display real estate.

Now let’s suppose that Trek is expecting X in eBike sales from the LBS. If the LBS is unable to sell the eBike units, though they have no issues selling the other Trek offerings, would it be hard to believe that Trek would ignore the empirical evidence regarding sales and blame the LBS? Threaten or actually pull the business from them?

Can anyone not see this possibility? Does anyone think the story would sound different if I used Giant? Specialized? Cevello? CDale?

Hell, Specialized had what had to be the most expensive commercial ever when they had a bunch of teams (including Sagan’s) ride their eRoad bikes during the rest day at last years tour. It was all over NBCSN’s coverage. That’s on top of the actual eBike commercials.

“Big Bicycle” seems like they’re pushing all their chips into the center and they’ve already blown through their house credit..... scary times.

LBS’s are under impossible pressure these days, market pressure is one thing, but I fear it’s more than just that.

Captain Brainstorm

LBS’s are under impossible pressure these days, market pressure is one thing, but I fear it’s more than just that.

What market pressure? I'm all for capitalism, but most great innovations sell themselves. Even with the full-court press on e-bikes (did a quick scan on the online mags that I punched out of years ago, and boy I'm not missing anything), these aren't exactly flying off the shelves. It seems like another move by the bike industry to generate new sales, nothing more than that. All things considered, I can't blame them, its not like they have a lot of cards to play. A bike is a bike, they've done the entire wheel size, geometry thing and they jack us for carbon to inflate the margins. Only so many ways to skin a cat.

Eat mushrooms? I wish. I have way too much on my mind these days to take serious psychedelics without freaking out. Maybe when I’m retired in 100yrs, with no responsibility.

I'm in the same boat, however I find Terrence McKenna's Stoned Ape Hypothesis and Paul Stamets Epigenetic Neurogenesis and micro-dosing to be pretty interesting theories on the expansion of cranial capacity. I think this is a conversation for a different forum entirely though, and its too early in the week to get into this shit.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm in the same boat, however I find Terrence McKenna's Stoned Ape Hypothesis and Paul Stamets Epigenetic Neurogenesis and micro-dosing to be pretty interesting theories on the expansion of cranial capacity. I think this is a conversation for a different forum entirely though, and its too early in the week to get into this shit.
giphy.gif

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
What market pressure?

General market pressure.... nothing to do with eBikes...... w/out getting too far into the weeds.... the rules shops are subjected to are not enforced by certain mfgs overseas (Shimano). It’s actually possible that a shifter costs the shop more to buy wholesale from its supplier than it can be obtained online from an offshore etailer from say Ireland....an option not legally available to shops to utilize.

Im a free market guy myself, unfortunately that’s not really what we have.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What market pressure? I'm all for capitalism, but most great innovations sell themselves. Even with the full-court press on e-bikes (did a quick scan on the online mags that I punched out of years ago, and boy I'm not missing anything), these aren't exactly flying off the shelves. It seems like another move by the bike industry to generate new sales, nothing more than that. All things considered, I can't blame them, its not like they have a lot of cards to play. A bike is a bike, they've done the entire wheel size, geometry thing and they jack us for carbon to inflate the margins. Only so many ways to skin a cat.

Here is an interesting talk on microdosing
Oh, like those 29'ers that I don't own, 'cause I can roll obstacles on my 26'er all day long? But I did buy a Fat Bike... 'cause it seemed, and is, a ton of fun!
The outer dia of a fat bike is basically the same as 29..

Karate Monkey

Forecasted sales, that's what. In Europe, e-bikes make up a HUGE portion of bike sales.

The sales/marketing people here need to justify their jobs...and quite frankly, if you saw your friend in the next town making bank doing something you could easily do, wouldn't you try?

The Kalmyk

You're on that huh. Intention setting, psychedelics were introduced improperly to the west, etc etc. Turn your interest into reality. I can tell you from regular experiences micro dosing properly is the cats pajamas.:)

Back to ebikes!:p

serviceguy

Spoken from experience?

Actually no, I never took any mind/perception altering drugs in my life except for an Oxy pill prescribed by my dentist after a tooth extraction, it felt so awful that I decided to endure the pain instead (I guess the pain was bearable enough in my case). I don't believe I took it even when I had kidney stones and that was painful.

If you refer to having my head blown up instead, then yes, as people that know me are aware of I wear an helmet just to mark the place where my head once was...

Top Bottom