• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
napoleon-dynamite.gif

one piece crank

When I decided to buy my ebike I was at a Harley Davidson dealership in the Florida panhandle and there was a brand new motorcycle that costs just as much as my ebike does now. I told a co-worker about this who was with me at the time and he just couldn't wrap his head around how a "bicycle" can cost that much.
that = me ;)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm kinda shopping for an eBike. Really wasn't looking for one.

Riding the Cannondale Moterra with tools to do trail work was great.
Then taking it out for a proper bike ride, it felt heavy whenever rolling got slow.
Which is often for me. Thing is, ya just hit the pedal and power through.
Almost like it was hinting at mountain biking without really being mountain biking.
The bike looks big, and feels big. Big power and great braking. Really wide bars.
Limited air time. Maybe it is a different sport?

Jumped on Matty's Rise and bam. It immediately wafted notes of mountain bike.
At 15lbs lighter, and more conventionally size frame tubes, it looked and felt like a mountain bike.
Did about a mile or so, and it was a totally different experience than the Cannonwhale.
Couldn't have too much fun tho, as my SPD shoes did not get along well with his flats.

At the end of our two hour/15 mile ride through Stephens on trails that were hard to recognize because of the quick roll,
I was tired. Had to push my watch up my arm because my glove keeps hitting the pause button, so the HR data is bad.
It was a different type of tired. Sure my legs were beat-up, but more whole body. Maybe from dealing with the heavier bike?
Maybe more DH or handling everything at a higher speed?

What isn't there is cresting a hill and needing a couple minutes to recover.
While I don't need to stop in most cases - just a couple minutes of easy pedaling to let the HR come down,
I just let it rip (being relative of course) -

Maybe it is like being on a trainer with the red knob. On an ebike it is reversed!
The Moterra has 4 boost levels - the lowest being ECO. ECO is more than enough until it gets steep,
so pop it up 1 notch, or two! Do you tell yourself that it just compensates for the weight of the bike?
Nah, it is just dialing in more fun, and less suffering.

In the end, the legs are ready to go again the next day.

Will it ruin the fun and reward of riding on an analog bike?
Making it hard to go back if both are in the quiver?
Good question. Do DH people ride XC?

Signed,
Perplexed in Central Jersey

PS - i'm heading over to RV to make the impossible climb in turbo mode.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm kinda shopping for an eBike. Really wasn't looking for one.

Riding the Cannondale Moterra with tools to do trail work was great.
Then taking it out for a proper bike ride, it felt heavy whenever rolling got slow.
Which is often for me. Thing is, ya just hit the pedal and power through.
Almost like it was hinting at mountain biking without really being mountain biking.
The bike looks big, and feels big. Big power and great braking. Really wide bars.
Limited air time. Maybe it is a different sport?

At 15lbs lighter, and more conventionally size frame tubes, it looked and felt like a mountain bike.
Did about a mile or so, and it was a totally different experience than the Cannonwhale.
Couldn't have too much fun tho, as my SPD shoes did not get along well with his flats.

At the end of our two hour/15 mile ride through Stephens on trails that were hard to recognize because of the quick roll,
I was tired. Had to push my watch up my arm because my glove keeps hitting the pause button, so the HR data is bad.
It was a different type of tired. Sure my legs were beat-up, but more whole body. Maybe from dealing with the heavier bike?

While I don't need to stop in most cases - just a couple minutes of easy pedaling to let the HR come down,

Maybe it is like being on a trainer with the red knob. On an ebike it is reversed!
The Moterra has 4 boost levels - the lowest being ECO. ECO is more than enough until it gets steep,
so pop it up 1 notch, or two! Do you tell yourself that it just compensates for the weight of the bike?

Signed,

Do it and don't look back

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy

Signed,

This is exactly why I chose the Rise over anything else out there and your sentiments are mine as well. My ride yesterday at Hartshorne on my Rise was in ECO 95% of the time. This past Wednesday I rode Stephens on my Amish bike and was dragging but still enjoyed it and glad I'm out riding. Also ran into Matty on his Rise and his doggie. To those who complain about the heft of an ebike and feel disconnected I suggest they try a Rise. I'm trying to convince a couple of my buddies to try the Rise to help wipe out all the preconceived notions of eMTBs they have. One of them tried a full fat and wasn't impressed.

FitmanNJ

This is exactly why I chose the Rise over anything else out there and your sentiments are mine as well. My ride yesterday at Hartshorne on my Rise was in ECO 95% of the time. This past Wednesday I rode Stephens on my Amish bike and was dragging but still enjoyed it and glad I'm out riding. Also ran into Matty on his Rise and his doggie. To those who complain about the heft of an ebike and feel disconnected I suggest they try a Rise. I'm trying to convince a couple of my buddies to try the Rise to help wipe out all the preconceived notions of eMTBs they have. One of them tried a full fat and wasn't impressed.
Curious...do you happen to know which full fat ebike your buddy tried that didn't impress? I have a client who bought one of the cheapest (maybe THE cheapest?) fat ebikes, a RadRover, and I wasn't impressed. He only rides on the road, so he feels that it's fine for his needs...and at 70 years old, he uses the upper power settings liberally.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Curious...do you happen to know which full fat ebike your buddy tried that didn't impress? I have a client who bought one of the cheapest (maybe THE cheapest?) fat ebikes, a RadRover, and I wasn't impressed. He only rides on the road, so he feels that it's fine for his needs...and at 70 years old, he uses the upper power settings liberally.
I believe it was a well equipped (~$15K) Trek Rail. A couple of my friends were on a camping trip rented them at Bentonville. One of them understood this is a full fat and managed his expectations of eMTBs and actually had proper rides on a Rise afterwards. Now he has one on order and should get it shortly. But the other friend wasn't sold. He had it on boost the entire time and he just wasn't feeling it. Yeah, it made pedaling easier but the feel of it was too far from "normal" mountain biking. This is exactly why we told him he needs to try the Rise.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe it was a well equipped (~$15K) Trek Rail. A couple of my friends were on a camping trip rented them at Bentonville. One of them understood this is a full fat and managed his expectations of eMTBs and actually had proper rides on a Rise afterwards. Now he has one on order and should get it shortly. But the other friend wasn't sold. He had it on boost the entire time and he just wasn't feeling it. Yeah, it made pedaling easier but the feel of it was too far from "normal" mountain biking. This is exactly why we told him he needs to try the Rise.

trek rail is NOT a fatbike, its not even plus tires (2.5 according to their website)

one piece crank

To those who complain about the heft of an ebike and feel disconnected I suggest they try a Rise.
While I would be excited for commuting, once I consider how I like to ride - slower speed repositioning, log crossings, steps, etc., I just can’t see adding any weight to my sub-30lb-loaded-ready-to-ride fat bike.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Didn't make it - the distribution of weight on the bike made it impossible to get low enough to keep pedaling and keep the back wheel planted while not having the front wheel come up.
made it a bit farther than the fatbike when i was in good shape -

there was this tho. :)
I even dabbed a couple times on the Zee Climb.

1650206916157.png

Going relatively hard, took me an hour to get all the way around RV. It is usually 2+.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Didn't make it - the distribution of weight on the bike made it impossible to get low enough to keep pedaling and keep the back wheel planted while not having the front wheel come up.

View attachment 183009

Going relatively hard, took me an hour to get all the way around RV. It is usually 2+.
So what happens with those KOMs, are they e-bike specific?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

View attachment 183009

It takes several weeks on an e-bike till you figure out how to climb the steepest or most technical climbs. Just throwing it in Turbo doesn't usually work well. I'm not sure what bike you were on but on a Specialized you need to adjust the acceleration response and power output to keep the power coming, but not surging. Switchbacks also require specific techniques with an e-bike.

jackx

I hadn't changed the ride type to e-bike yet.
As soon as I did, they all go away - They support ebike specific segments.

ie from Stephen's on Friday

View attachment 183011
Good to know that Strava has e-bike-specific segments. Even on an e-bike those watts look very low, so I am wondering if Strava has challenges estimating power output for riders on e-bikes.

Top Bottom