• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
When I decided to buy my ebike I was at a Harley Davidson dealership in the Florida panhandle and there was a brand new motorcycle that costs just as much as my ebike does now. I told a co-worker about this who was with me at the time and he just couldn't wrap his head around how a "bicycle" can cost that much.

I'm so used to bicycle prices, I can't understand how motorcycles can be so cheap. They're both fairly low volume products but a motorcycle is infinitely more complex. My Husqvarna 701 Vitpilen retailed for $9500 and nobody bought them. Too expensive for a big single. A Supercaliber XX1 retails for $9500 and there's a waiting list. 🤷‍♂️. A more reasonable Supercaliber is still as expensive as a lot of nice motorcycles.

It's tempting to think we're getting ripped off by the bike companies but the fact that noone has swooped in to sell an S-WORKS (or whatever) equivalent for $5000 suggests otherwise. You generally get what you paid for IMHO.

Guessing: I'll bet the margin is way better on bicycles and MSRP doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm so used to bicycle prices, I can't understand how motorcycles can be so cheap. They're both fairly low volume products but a motorcycle is infinitely more complex. My Husqvarna 701 Vitpilen retailed for $9500 and nobody bought them. Too expensive for a big single. A Supercaliber XX1 retails for $9500 and there's a waiting list. 🤷‍♂️. A more reasonable Supercaliber is still as expensive as a lot of nice motorcycles.

It's tempting to think we're getting ripped off by the bike companies but the fact that noone has swooped in to sell an S-WORKS (or whatever) equivalent for $5000 suggests otherwise. You generally get what you paid for IMHO.

Guessing: I'll bet the margin is way better on bicycles and MSRP doesn't tell the whole story.

I went back and forth between buying a Vespa or a VadoSL. The VadoSL was $1,000 more.

Triumph sold 80k units last year (I think that’s what I remember from the Highside Lowside podcast). So add all moto manufacturers, I’m sure bikes are somewhere in that zone in units? If not more considering all the Huffys out there. But the markets in India and Thailand alone are insane for moto sales.

My guess is why bikes are more expensive (1) markup, (B) demand, and (third) materials are more exotic (thinner and lighter probably creates more issues in manufacturing and quality). A carbon bike frame is freaking delicate compared to a carbon wheel set on a S1000RR. I hate the R&D excuse. Motos go through tons of R&D too.

That said a street triple is much more desirable to me than a $10k road bike. I just can’t do it captain!

Triumph sold 80k units last year (I think that’s what I remember from the Highside Lowside podcast). So add all moto manufacturers, I’m sure bikes are somewhere in that zone in units? If not more considering all the Huffys out there. But the markets in India and Thailand alone are insane for moto sales.

My guess is why bikes are more expensive (1) markup, (B) demand, and (third) materials are more exotic (thinner and lighter probably creates more issues in manufacturing and quality). A carbon bike frame is freaking delicate compared to a carbon wheel set on a S1000RR. I hate the R&D excuse. Motos go through tons of R&D too.

That said a street triple is much more desirable to me than a $10k road bike. I just can’t do it captain!
Less than a million motorcycles sell in the US annually vs. 15-20 million bicycles.

I know more people started riding motorcycles during pandemic as well, just like bicycles.
After building my ebike, I was just like "I should really just get a motorcycle." And it was easy for me to do since I've had a motorcycle endorsement for a long time.

Less than a million motorcycles sell in the US annually vs. 15-20 million bicycles.

It's less than 600,000. IIRC from another Highside Lowside podcast, US MC sales fell dramatically in '08/'09 and never really recovered. There was a blip last year but it's coming off a decade of declines. 15 million cars last year.

It's less than 600,000. IIRC from another Highside Lowside podcast, US MC sales fell dramatically in '08/'09 and never really recovered. There was a blip last year but it's coming off a decade of declines. 15 million cars last year.
So it looks like worldwide, about 45 million total moto sales a year right now.

No wonder we don’t get all the bikes here. I’m sure most of those sales are under 400cc though.

So it looks like worldwide, about 45 million total moto sales a year right now.

No wonder we don’t get all the bikes here. I’m sure most of those sales are under 400cc though.

it would be nice to live in a place where they are usable 100% of the time as the main mode of transport.

it would be nice to live in a place where they are usable 100% of the time as the main mode of transport.
Like this? I'm sure you can squeeze in there somewhere

1649853358460.png

Those places exist, they're called cities. I'd rather live in a place where I could deploy my 750 or 1000cc bike on a regular basis. Those places are called living right next to a race track. Technically though, you can ride a moto anywhere, its a change in mindset, not geography.

Those places exist, they're called cities. I'd rather live in a place where I could deploy my 750 or 1000cc bike on a regular basis. Those places are called living right next to a race track. Technically though, you can ride a moto anywhere, its a change in mindset, not geography.
For me, the only issue is winters. Other than that, taking one into the office (on the few times a year I have to go in now) it’s great. 2.5x the MPG on my biggerish bike than any of my four wheeled options. And cycling is out. No shower, and 36 miles if I take 287, longer if I take backroads.

Reactions: don
Back
Top Bottom