• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I got to borrow an orbea rise at cranks for a quick test ride. Fancy carbon one... Definitely very fun... Light years better with regards to handling than the old Cannondale moterra I tested a few years ago. I took it over to the short track loop on turbo mode and gave a proper test. Its VASTLY better in that when I got it up to speed I could ride it thru the rocks without it pin balling all over the place, or feeling like I was going to die. It turned and stopped as I would expect. I knocked about 45 second off my fastest time with my scalpel...given the hills, not overly surprising.

My only gripe with it was it just seemed to run out of steam...like either I was hitting the speed limiter, or I wasn't pedaling it hard enough? not sure. The power seemed to come on gradually over about 5 seconds or so, then drop off. I guess it would take some getting used to. INSANELY quiet.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I got to borrow an orbea rise at cranks for a quick test ride. Fancy carbon one... Definitely very fun... Light years better with regards to handling than the old Cannondale moterra I tested a few years ago. I took it over to the short track loop on turbo mode and gave a proper test. Its VASTLY better in that when I to speed I could ride it thru the rocks without it pin balling all over the place, or feeling like I was going to die. It turned and stopped as I would expect. I knocked about 45 second off my fastest time with my scalpel...given the hills, not overly surprising.

My only gripe with it was it just seemed to run out of steam...like either I was hitting the speed limiter, or I wasn't pedaling it hard enough? not sure. The power seemed to come on gradually over about 5 seconds or so, then drop off. I guess it would take some getting used to. INSANELY quiet.
I was thinking about what you said. That ep8 rs motor is tuned to run by cadence, it requires a higher cadence then full fat. Wondering if you were trying to mash bigger gears where it wasn't supporting. Either way if you were hitting the 20mph limiter then more power to you, other then a full out blast downhill or a clean flat is only time I noticed the limiter dogging me. It does take a small window to feel how to use the motor in certain situations.

rick81721

Lothar
Add-on conversion kit

skarper-s-revolutionary-e-bike-conversion-kit-may-be-the-best-that-money-will-buy-196485_1.jpeg

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...y-be-the-best-that-money-will-buy-196485.html

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
So I got to borrow an orbea rise at cranks for a quick test ride. Fancy carbon one... Definitely very fun... Light years better with regards to handling than the old Cannondale moterra I tested a few years ago. I took it over to the short track loop on turbo mode and gave a proper test. Its VASTLY better in that when I got it up to speed I could ride it thru the rocks without it pin balling all over the place, or feeling like I was going to die. It turned and stopped as I would expect. I knocked about 45 second off my fastest time with my scalpel...given the hills, not overly surprising.

As Matt said, it requires a certain amount of cadence for the motor to deliver its peak power but the power and torque profiles can be tuned with an app. The bike you demo'd probably was set to factory setting but you can tune it to have power and torque respond sooner or later in the cadence range in all 3 modes (Eco, Trail, and Boost). I have mine tuned to my preferred riding style and that makes it a lot more predictable. As with all Class I ebikes here in the US, as soon as you reach 20 mph the power cuts off.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
However, Some you can pedal right thru 20mph like a regular bike and others feel like you're suddenly in quicksand.

I try to explain this when I tell people the workout you can get on an eBike. I do Intervals over the assist and then back off to use the motor during recovery. The work portion of the Interval is higher than anything I can do on a normal bike.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
However, Some you can pedal right thru 20mph like a regular bike and others feel like you're suddenly in quicksand.
Oh absolutely. You can keep pedaling faster than 20 mph if you want while unassisted. I mentioned that to address the "seemed to run out of steam... hitting the speed limiter" comment. I'm saying he experienced that probably because he hit the 20 mph mark.

one piece crank

I try to explain this when I tell people the workout you can get on an eBike. I do Intervals over the assist and then back off to use the motor during recovery. The work portion of the Interval is higher than anything I can do on a normal bike.
This is a very interesting concept!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As Matt said, it requires a certain amount of cadence for the motor to deliver its peak power but the power and torque profiles can be tuned with an app. The bike you demo'd probably was set to factory setting but you can tune it to have power and torque respond sooner or later in the cadence range in all 3 modes (Eco, Trail, and Boost). I have mine tuned to my preferred riding style and that makes it a lot more predictable. As with all Class I ebikes here in the US, as soon as you reach 20 mph the power cuts off.
Ya I just grabbed it from wayne and took off without really asking him anymore then "how do I put in it turbo mode". But I noticed pretty quickly that the power output that you got was directly related to the cadence you were putting in. It kinda feels like 200 watts can get you to 20mph, 21 will require 500 watts. There is also a bit of a lag...like coming out of a corner and pedaling hard....takes maybe 5 pedal strokes for the motor to feel like it responded....which im guessing is done on purpose as well.

This is just me grabbing this bike and riding it at XC race speed without knowing anything about it....so im not being critical, I just didnt get the full skinny on how it worked

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ya I just grabbed it from wayne and took off without really asking him anymore then "how do I put in it turbo mode". But I noticed pretty quickly that the power output that you got was directly related to the cadence you were putting in. It kinda feels like 200 watts can get you to 20mph, 21 will require 500 watts. There is also a bit of a lag...like coming out of a corner and pedaling hard....takes maybe 5 pedal strokes for the motor to feel like it responded....which im guessing is done on purpose as well.

This is just me grabbing this bike and riding it at XC race speed without knowing anything about it....so im not being critical, I just didnt get the full skinny on how it worked
Either way I bet it was fun as hell 😁

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
21st century motor pacing.

Top Bottom