Dual suspension bikes

N

njalex

Ok, I may be in for an upgrade this year. I have a 19" Trek 700 hardtail and am considering making the upgrade to full suspension bike this year. My budget will be the sub $2K range. I would say I'm intermediate at best as far as skill set.

I was doing some research and realized that there are soooo many brands out there it's very difficult to choose. The brands I like so far are Trek and Specialized (my wife has the Specialized). The reason I like them is because of the ride and quality of the bikes. However, I'm open to other brands like Jamis as well, although I haven't actually tried their bikes yet.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I went from a Specialized Rockhopper to a Specialized Epic and thought it was a great transition into full suspension. Handled just like a hardtail but a little more friendly on the rocks. Recently, I upgraded to a Heckler because I wanted the higher BB height and more travel.

What kind of travel are you looking for?

Shaggz

A strong 7
in a c-dale jekyll now, and want to get into a c-dale rush or giant trance. if funds were not an issue, i'd love a 5 spot...

N

njalex

Jason - Can you explain "travel" to me? I've don't know what it means even though I've read so many articles with that term being used.

N

njalex

Also - What do you guys do with the old bikes once you upgrade? Do you sell them somewhere or hold on to them?

I was checking out the Heckler. It looks like it's $1,000. Sounds like a great deal. Where did you buy it?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
njalex said:
Jason - Can you explain "travel" to me? I've don't know what it means even though I've read so many articles with that term being used.

Suspension Travel: The distance through which the moving part of the suspension travel in relation to the fixed parts.

My heckler has 143mm (5.6") of rear travel vs the 100mm (3.9") on my epic. The epic also has a brain shock that locks out when the suspension isn't in use. Taking both bikes off the same 3 foot drop will yield very different results. The heckler will absorb the drop very nicely and I go home with a happy back. :) The epic (assuming the brain engages the suspension) will absorb a bit of the drop but not nearly enough to consider 3 foot drops often.

So this is where you have to decide if you want a very efficient climbing / XC bike like the epic or an all mountain bike like the heckler but will certainly not climb as well as an XC but will be a blast in the rock gardens.

njalex said:
Also - What do you guys do with the old bikes once you upgrade? Do you sell them somewhere or hold on to them?

Depends. It doesn't hurt to hang onto the bike as a backup. Never know when something will break and most shops will need to hold onto your bike for a few days. Being as short as the season is, it's best to have a backup for these situations.

I still have my old hardtail but I am trying to sell my epic frame and fork. I'm actually contemplating hanging onto it because it's such an awesome bike.

njalex said:
I was checking out the Heckler. It looks like it's $1,000. Sounds like a great deal. Where did you buy it?

Heckler is a great bike but it's big so you'll want to give it a test ride first. I picked up my frame for $1k but that doesn't include my wheels ($800), UST Tires ($60), Fork ($400), crank ($200), derailers ($125), brakes ($300), etc.

I like to purchase a great frame with some iffy components and then upgrade as I go along. This is what I did with my epic and then with the heckler, I just moved everything over.

N

njalex

Thanks, Jason. Considering that the reality is that I only MTB on weekends and generally during spring/summer/fall, do you think a "all around mountain bike" is the best way to go? I don't particularly aim for high climbs.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Given the brands you listed in your original post, I'd go with a either a Specialized Enduro (150mm of travel) or a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (130mm of travel).

Or if you want an easier transition then you could take a look at my used epic frame.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375

IMO though the Enduro is hotness!

M

MikeM

njalex said:
Thanks, Jason. Considering that the reality is that I only MTB on weekends and generally during spring/summer/fall, do you think a "all around mountain bike" is the best way to go? I don't particularly aim for high climbs.
Where do you ride, and how do you ride?If you have to pedal up hills, you wont want big suspension because of the weight that comes with it.

hooples3

Hey alex...

I have had my heckler for many years now and i enjoy it all the time as my do it all bike. It isnt so heavy, it climbs well and has plenty of suspension to smooth out the rough stuff. it is a very enjoyable bike that can be pedaled all day if you have the legs for it!!
SantaCruz is now offering a complete bike package for the heckler as well as frame only prices. Checkout their website or you local dealer for pricing.My friend just purchased a new one for $2400 complete. He loves it too!!!

S

secondspeed

Sorry to butt in

Okay man,
im totally sorry for cutting in... You wanna know were to ride? For starters please follow the sequence Lewis Morris, Malhon Dickerson, The Toure Boonton NJ, Kititanny state park, Allumuchy oh yeah 2003-2005 24hr mtb race there and with side of Deer park, Round Valley, Washington state park (Chimmney), Wawayanda, Ringwood and the best kept secret SplitRock!! wishes dont come true but it be nice to have full suspension.. I have 4 hardtails and growing plus (black lighting) road bike... its nice to see how others ride keep cranking man peace

MikeM said:
Where do you ride, and how do you ride?If you have to pedal up hills, you wont want big suspension because of the weight that comes with it.

N

njrider

upgrade as you go along

Jason said:
I like to purchase a great frame with some iffy components and then upgrade as I go along. This is what I did with my epic and then with the heckler, I just moved everything over.

I did the same thing with my ridgid Rockhopper, got it on ebay for 40 bucks, fixed it up and got it running little by little, I just got another Newer Rockhopper on ebay with rock shox for only $30.00 what a steel, my new project.

N

njalex

So I've been calling around and no one stocks these Heckler bikes (Cycle Craft in Parsippany said they are getting one in April supposedly). So if it's so hard to get these bikes how do you try one out? And what about parts? My challenge is that I'm not good at fixing the bikes yet. I'd like to take one of those Park Tool classes but realistically I won't be taking apart bike components any time soon so I want to get something that is serviceable. Maybe I should stick with the Specialized line??!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
njalex said:
So I've been calling around and no one stocks these Heckler bikes (Cycle Craft in Parsippany said they are getting one in April supposedly). So if it's so hard to get these bikes how do you try one out? And what about parts? My challenge is that I'm not good at fixing the bikes yet. I'd like to take one of those Park Tool classes but realistically I won't be taking apart bike components any time soon so I want to get something that is serviceable. Maybe I should stick with the Specialized line??!

I would certainly not rule out Specialized but you are welcome to give my Heckler a try. I also had a hard time locating a demo heckler and same goes for Tuner. :(

-jay

Top Bottom